PDA

View Full Version : What's better eatin'?

dirtydan
08-15-2005, 07:49 AM
Striper or Salmon? And how do you prepare 'em?

Fire away. ;D

BassFooler
08-15-2005, 08:29 AM
IMHO- Salmon-
Steaked or fillet- right on the grill- little butter on the top side keeping it moist and a bit of S&P.
Dangit...Im hungry now...THANKS!! ;D ;D

catfished
08-15-2005, 08:32 AM
I love both of them. Since I never get any stripers up here, I would prefer them right now but if I was able to get all I wanted of both species, I'd eat a lot of both. ;D

ifish4fun
08-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Salmon

BBQ wrap fillet in foli with garlic onions and a mixture
of bbq sauce and brown sugar cook skin side down keeps from burning the meat. the sugar with the protein from the meat creats a nice glaze on the fish. mmmmm good and easy

mike22ca
08-15-2005, 10:49 AM
Salmon, no contest.

FishinFool408
08-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Although I like 'em both, I'd have to side with salmon hands down! With that said, I'm havin' leftover salmon for lunch! ;D

Wolf74
08-15-2005, 03:47 PM
I'd say salmon, but then again, I've never had striper.

jon_may
08-16-2005, 07:04 AM
striper... me no like salmon :(

ken_fishnfool
08-16-2005, 09:23 AM
Striper ceviche! YUUUUUUMMMMMMM!

Erreck
08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
Depends on the meal...

For grilling or baking, I'd say salmon.

For ceviche, fish tacos, fish-n-chips, definately striper.

Pimpinmeat
08-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Mongo like all fish ;D ;D ;D

donzitroller
08-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Salmon is a nice treat once in a while.. but striper is something that almost always disappears off the platter around here. I could alternate every night, striper and sturgeon, and never have any complaints! Speaking of sturgeon, you didn't mention it, though it should be tossed into the mix! On the rare occasion that there are some striper leftovers, it's gone by the time I get home from work. Course I haven't tried to smoke striper, so salmon gets the nod there for sure. During the last trip to Bodega I was turned on to some salmon on the grill that was basted with Mae Ploy sauce that was out of this world! Those of you who know Mae Ploy, how come you haven't shared the secret? :-X

FISH ON!

STURGEONSTOMPER
08-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Hands down smoked/bbq salmon with smoked sturg in close second ;)

MB_Kevin
08-16-2005, 09:13 PM
both are good. I love my striper on the BBQ but salmon is great to. this is a good question. I like to catch stiper better so its hard ;)

Empire
08-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Salmon.

Put a boneless/skinless salmon filet in a ziploc bag with some kosher salt, garlic, dill, lemon juice, brown sugar and a shot of vodka. Put the bag in the fridge for 2 days, remove, slice and eat.

Unbeatable.

Christopherjake
08-17-2005, 05:57 AM
Striper for sure. I love that sweet taste. Yummy!!!~

Collegebound
08-17-2005, 06:26 PM
I have a friend who told me to soak all my striper fillets in milk for a while before cooking. I think we just cooked it like that and it tasted like butter. Would've eaten more but it was a big fish so it had a lot of mercury.
With Salmon, if you can afford it, buy a $60 electric smoker from home depot. Bathe the steaks/fillets in seasoning salt and wet smoke(with a water pan) for about 40 min. Man, thats goood eatin
Mike

MB_Kevin
08-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Salmon.

Put a boneless/skinless salmon filet in a ziploc bag with some kosher salt, garlic, dill, lemon juice, brown sugar and a shot of vodka. Put the bag in the fridge for 2 days, remove, slice and eat.

Unbeatable.
Wow that is crazy. Might be good If you heated it up a little :o

wading2fish
08-17-2005, 08:39 PM
I don't think I would want to heat that up, just eat it right out of the fridge. That is a form of ceviche, which is a great recipe for stripers. Ceviche is fish cooked in lemon juice. You leave any type of fish in the right amount of lemon juice for the right amount of time the lemon juice will cook it to perfection, that sounds tasty.

w2f

donzitroller
08-18-2005, 12:12 AM
Ahhh, yes, ceviche! I had it on a panga boat in Mexico using freshly caught Dorado. It was FANTASTIC! I wasn't sure about using freshwater fish though.. is it safe? Might have to give that a shot though! There was a deckhand on a salmon boat last year who said you could use fresh saltwater salmon for sushi but not salmon caught in freshwater. Striper ceviche? Oh my! Now that would be heaven! FISH ON!

Empire
08-18-2005, 07:00 AM
*Wow that is crazy. Might be good If you heated it up a little :o

I have not heard of it called ceviche, I have only called it gravad lox. You can do the same thing with halibut. Serve it with some thinly sliced onion and some capers, some Triscuit crackers and Philidelphia cream cheese.

My mouth is watering like a Pavlov puppy.

wading2fish
08-18-2005, 08:19 AM
The only reason I compared it to ceviche was I saw the lemon juice in your recipe. I had not seen that recipe before so I wasn't even sure if it had a name or not.

Dozitroller,
My wife and her sister have a good recipe for ceviche. However, for safety reasons we only use store bought fish for ceviche.

w2f

MB_Kevin
08-18-2005, 08:27 PM
*Wow that is crazy. Might be good If you heated it up a little :o
By heating it up a little I meant with a BBQ or frying pan and heat it up alot :-/. I didnt know lemon juice could cook fish. I will be quiet now because im sure it is good. Im just used to cooking my fish. Some times I try something like that and it is great.

duckhunter916
08-19-2005, 09:42 AM
SMOKED SALMON

Fishmeister
08-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Salmon.

Unbeatable

How do you do that green thing when copying anothers message?

Coming from a Scandinavian heritage Gravlox is something I have eaten and made since a child. It is usually pressed while curing and in the old days was used to cure the catch for the larder. I've not seen a quick recipe like above before but all the ingredients are there. Try it sometime with lime and tequilla instead of lemon and vodka. Slice it paper thin and serve with capers and thinly sliced red onions. Died and gone to heaven.

Don't know how you can answer the question of what you like best. It's like trying to answer whether you like blondes brunets or redheads the best. Only right answer is I love them all!

drstressor
08-19-2005, 12:38 PM
I like gravlox, but I don't think that king salmon are the best fish to use. They are too oily and quite frankly taste too good prepared other ways.

We make gravlox from pink or chum salmon and mackinaw (only way I can stand to eat the ones from Tahoe). *Pressing them with a dish full of water during curing makes the flesh very firm and allows you to make those paper thin slices.

Gotta try your tequila variation. ;D

I like striper also, but not from around here. >:(

FishinFool408
08-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Salmon.

Unbeatable

How do you do that green thing when copying anothers message? *

Coming from a Scandinavian heritage Gravlox is something I have eaten and made since a child. *It is usually pressed while curing and in the old days was used to cure the catch for the larder. *I've not seen a quick recipe like above before but all the ingredients are there. *Try it sometime with lime and tequilla instead of lemon and vodka. *Slice it paper thin and serve with capers and thinly sliced red onions. *Died and gone to heaven.

Don't know how you can answer the question of what you like best. *It's like trying to answer whether you like blondes brunets or redheads the best. Only right answer is I love them all!
Hey Fishmeister, you put the person's post who you want to quote in green by clicking on the quote button. And the difference between blondes, brunettes, and redheads doesn't really matter to one that is color blind...in most cases! ;D

vvbob
08-20-2005, 07:16 AM
Hey Empire

Would you be specific about the amount of each ingredient, sounds like a recipe I want to try. ;D
Thanks

drstressor
08-20-2005, 09:40 AM
Just Google "Gravlox recipe" and you'll find more specific information and variations on the general theme than you'll ever need.

survivor
08-21-2005, 06:45 AM
???Stripers are great. Now I've been told that the mercury in stripers is concentrated in the dark meat along the lateral line. If you cut that part out, I believe you get the mercury out of the striper. Also the larger fish have the most mercury, the keeper size up to 10 pounds and under are best eating anyhow. When I was younger, my Dad would actually fillet the striper and we would pour lemon juice on it and eat it like that. If I remember correctly, it was 30 or more years ago when the limit was 5 or 7 each, that's how old I am. ;D ;D
Paul aka Survivor

fishguts
08-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Kokanee Salmon, King Salmon, Sturgeon. Baked, smoked, fried, BBQ. Its all good. I C&R stripers. Sturgeon good for tacos too.

Waterworks
09-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Down here in San Luis Res/O'neill Forebay area the rangers will claim that we have no mercury. *The fish arrive here when they are small and then grow bigger here. *I baked striper once. *Big mistake. *Now it's fillet, roll in Italian bread crumbs and pan fry in butter or oil. *
About mercury, would you agree that it has been here since the 40's and 50's and that government agencies are just now admitting it? *Since it is heavy, mercury ends up in the lower portions of the fish, so I just trim the lower portions of the fillet and stick to the 18" to 34" range.
Dirty Dan, up in Humboldt County the Yurok Indians have a "spear caught" only salmon fest and they smoke slow and long with smoke only-no salt curing. That is the tradition. It tastes plain since it has no salt, but hey I bet those Indians lived a long time.

MultiSpecies
09-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Striper--cut into 2"squares seasond with garlic salt and McCormicks season-all dipped into a tempora beer batter and deep fry to golden crunch w/tartar sauce.

Salmon--smoked, BBQ w/ butter, or any way you want.

I challenge anyone to take the same amount of striper and the same amount of Salmon put it on the table and invite friends over and I guarantee by the end of the night your Striper will be GONE! every time. Dont get me wrong I love Salmon, heck at the Black Hole I will BBQ a whole Salmon for My Raider brotheren. (Honestly Halibut kills all fish).

Just my $.02 worth

Empire
09-06-2005, 05:38 AM
The next time I make lox I am going to try the lime/tequila variation. That sounds good.

I think the only way salmon should not be cooked is fried. They were serving it that way at the salmon festival (October at Nimbus Fish Hatchery) and it was no good. The hot oil really enhanced the fishy flavor :-/

kstone44
09-06-2005, 11:22 PM
Striper or salmon it don't matter just cook it with the Paul Prudhommes Blackened fish seasoning.Just follow the directions on the bottle its fantastic, I first had it at his resturant in New orleans, when there was a French Quarter

SwimswithFishes
09-07-2005, 08:51 AM
Gravlox is similar to an old Italian fishermans' method for keeping salmon for long months before the days of ice aboard fishing boats. You basically start with a bucket, salmon fillets, and medium grade sea salt. YOu fill the bucket with one layer of fillets and then a layer of salt. Keep adding fillets and layers of salt. The salmon will brine in its own juices very similar to some recipes for smoking except for one major difference. Let the salmon brine for 5-6 months to fully cook the fish. Then you remove fillets as you want to eat them. Remove fillets and soak for 24 hours in fresh water. Now cut them into bite size pieces and put them in jars filled with olive oil, garlic and some other spices yuo might like. Now keep the jars in the fridge and break them out for appetizers or just when you want a quick snack. You can keep the salmon in the brine for months and the stuff you place in jars for months as well.

Here's a question. At some sushi bars they serve smoked salmon. NOt like what we prepare ourselves or buy at the store. The whole salmon has been cold smoked and then they cut it for nigiri sushi. Anyone know how they do it?

CORN
09-07-2005, 06:04 PM
* * * * * * * * * * SMOKED SALMON

Salmon :P I like it smoked too...

Marinate overnight in a good brine and throw on the smoker:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3973/smoked37yf.jpg

Smoke it to your liking. I don't like mine dry so I only smoke it for 1.5 hrs. These are almost done:

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9009/smoked29wa.jpg

FishinFool408
09-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the great visual Corn. Now I am craving salmon! ;D