PDA

View Full Version : Back From Lake Powell

HighSierra_Drifter
08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Took a family vacation to Lake Powell a couple of weeks ago. Striper fishing was GREAT ;D We never spotted any boils to cast into, but being the trout/mack fisherman I am, I had to use the downriggers. We had several fishermen at the gas docks asking what I was doing with the downriggers? Catching stripers at 80 feet, I replied ;) All of those bass fishermen looked at me like I was crazy ;D They had only caught a couple out of the boils when they spotted them. I saw fish at 40-80ft on the finder and went deep with the riggers and leaded line. *Only trolled shiner pattern Rapalas, and caught some nice ones on the Rainbow StingKing w/ e-chip by Pro-Troll...everything doused in Pro-Cure Herring Oil...and talk about tasty fresh striper tacos...YUM!

http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/AboutSteve/powell_striper.jpg

better half w/ a nice one (double hook-up)
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/AboutSteve/brenda_striper.jpg
and another she nailed...
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/AboutSteve/brenda_striper_2.jpg
son Brandon at the cleaning station...
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/AboutSteve/striper_cleaning.jpg
and our campsite for 7 days 3 miles up West Canyon...shade by 2pm :D
http://www.stevesfishingsupplies.com/AboutSteve/powell_camp.jpg

Drifter

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 06:13 AM
Steve, what marina do you launch from? My place is about 2 miles from Weawap ramp. Those are beautiful fish. I'm so jealous. My wife talked me out of going this year because of gas prices. Is that spot anywhere near the dam?

Farrier_Frank
08-30-2005, 06:29 AM
That's one of the rare reports I've seen on that lake. I love the pictures, especially the one of your son at the cleaning station with fish laying all over the bank - Why wouldn't fishermen there use downriggers? With all that deep water it only makes sense to me.

HighSierra_Drifter
08-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Hinrid,

We camped up West Canyon which is around mile marker 28. With the water being so low and not being able to short-cut by Castle Rock it takes quite a bit longer to get up the lake. We launched at Wahweap and fueled up at Dangling Rope Marina. Gas was $3.63 a gallon. I bought somewhere around 100 gallons during our stay...so that's only an extra $63.00 or so for gas. A trip well worth an extra few bucks for fuel. I think many others were scared away also, as we pulled straight up to the gas pump all 3 times we fueled...no waiting.

Drifter

HighSierra_Drifter
08-30-2005, 06:31 AM
Frank,

Did you notice the BogaGrip? My boy found it for me in my truck back seat between the cushions a month or so after Pyramid Tourney last year ;D Everyone I saw or talked to looked like bass fishermen. I've never saw another downrigger on any boat while we were there.

deadhead1969
08-30-2005, 06:33 AM
We just bought some property around Prescott to retire on. I was wondering where to fish in the land of little water. Thanks for the info.

DH

Mickey_Thomas
08-30-2005, 06:54 AM
Great report and pictures Drifter, us trout fishermen can figure out a way to catch fish no matter what the Bass fishermen say ;D ;D ;D Looks like you guys had a great time 8)

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 07:01 AM
For anyone that's never been, I recommend trying it at least once. I liked it so much, I bought a condo there.

Farrier_Frank
08-30-2005, 07:07 AM
I can't believe you found the Bogagrip. I was convinced they were at the bottom of Pyramid. I even bought one just in case we fished again at Pyramid. ;)

drstressor
08-30-2005, 07:26 AM
Glad you got into them Steve. I'm always amazed at how people can get stuck in their ways at lakes where fishing is good and don't try different methods over the season. They use downriggers for stripers at Lake Mead in the summer. But if you can catch fish in California, you can catch fish anywhere. ;D

Did you fish for walleye as well as stripers?

Hinrid, can I borrow your condo next year? ;) Better yet, let's fill that puppy up and hold a 'snifferfest at Powell. ;D

SuperDave
08-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Glad you got into them Steve. I'm always amazed at how people can get stuck in their ways at lakes where fishing is good and don't try different methods over the season. They use downriggers for stripers at Lake Mead in the summer. But if you can catch fish in California, you can catch fish anywhere. ;D

Did you fish for walleye as well as stripers?

Hinrid, can I borrow your condo next year? ;) Better yet, let's fill that puppy up and hold a 'snifferfest at Powell. ;D

Doc, probably all doable. There are many of the condos in the complex that are vacation rentals, incl. mine. They're small but several overlook the lake and close to the boat ramp.

HighSierra_Drifter
08-30-2005, 07:43 AM
Doc,

Not one Wally Eye on this trip...much to my wife's dismay. We caught a half dozen or so last time up there...but NADA this time >:( My wife asked the game warden if he had seen any coming in and he gave her a blank stare, like he never knew they were in there. We did get some nice smallies also. They don't even list walleye as a species on their maps any more. The sandy flats where we got them last time is now out of water, so who knows where they went ??? I'm all for a Powell Fest. I leave Carson City at 7pm and we are on the water by 9am the next day...looking for a beach so I can take a nap ;D The wife and I are contemplating some property/condo there also Hinrid. Sure would be nice to have everything there already.

Drifter

fishnmike2002
08-30-2005, 09:06 AM
I lived in Vegas for three years going to grad school and fished Mead a lot. Always wanted to fish Powell but never made it. Its sure a beautiful lake and greatly untapped. Someday.

FishnMike

ctsron
08-31-2005, 08:05 PM
I WILL BE LIVING THERE THIS TIME NEXT YEAR, I CANNOT WAIT TO USE "CALIFORNIA" TECHNIQUES THERE. ::)