PDA

View Full Version : Have you fished it?

PlugROCKSTAR
08-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Anyone here ever fished Crater Lake? Had a chance to do it Sunday last week and i wussed out on hiking down 975feet and hiking back up for 5miles. I have pictures of the lake from the Rim. I will post it as soon as i get it hosted.

ratss427
08-28-2005, 06:51 PM
hmmmsounds interesting.a lot like donnells res.have to add to my "must fish list" ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
08-28-2005, 07:55 PM
hmmmsounds interesting.a lot like donnells res.have to add to my "must fish list" ;)

I might do it next year. You can catch the tour boat which is the only boat allowed in Crater Lake and they can drop you off at Wizards Island and you can fish the whole area. It's still gonna be a 5mile hike back to the parking lot.

fishinjunkie
08-28-2005, 09:19 PM
is that the lake that is in a volcanoe. up kind of by shasta. if so i visited there.. its very beautiful. the water was very clear. but from my understanding u couldnt fish there. i also only saw one boat on the lake so i thought it must have been a tour boat.
fishinjunkie

PlugROCKSTAR
08-29-2005, 07:11 AM
is that the lake that is in a volcanoe. up kind of by shasta. if so i visited there.. its very beautiful. the water was very clear. but from my understanding u couldnt fish there. i also only saw one boat on the lake so i thought it must have been a tour boat.
* * fishinjunkie

not alot of people knows that you can fish the lake. I spoke to a Park Ranger and tour guide and he said it's very good fishing off Wizards Island but not a lot of people do it because of the 5mile Hike back to your Car. I will probably do it next year 8)

drstressor
08-29-2005, 07:11 AM
There are naturally reproducing populations of rainbow trout and kokanee in the lake. Crater lake hasn't been stocked since the '40's if I remember correctly. There are no size or catch limits. That's because the fishing isn't very good. The lake has low productivity. The kokes are the most abundant fish but are (or were when I was there in the mid-'90's) very small. Maybe 10 inches. No bait of any kind is allowed.

But the scenery is amazing and the water is much more clear than Tahoe.

PlugROCKSTAR
08-29-2005, 07:16 AM
forgot to mention that it's Artificial's Only.

Posted by: drstressor Posted on: Today at 8:11am

There are naturally reproducing populations of rainbow trout and kokanee in the lake. Crater lake hasn't been stocked since the '40's if I remember correctly. There are no size or catch limits. That's because the fishing isn't very good. The lake has low productivity. The kokes are the most abundant fish but are (or were when I was there in the mid-'90's) very small. Maybe 10 inches. No bait of any kind is allowed.

But the scenery is amazing and the water is much more clear than Tahoe.

Doc have you fished it?

drstressor
08-29-2005, 07:39 AM
No I didn't. I just talked to some folks on Wizard Island. There was a guy running a charter at that time. Maybe things have changed.

Flipper266
08-29-2005, 08:30 AM
916 while you were up there did you fish Diamond Lake?

PlugROCKSTAR
08-29-2005, 09:58 AM
916 while you were up there did you fish Diamond Lake?

Nope, didn't have time.