PDA

View Full Version : rookie fisherman

hulzy
08-25-2005, 09:28 AM
My son and I are just starting to fish, and unfortunately I grew up a city boy and saying I am a novice fisherman would be a stretch. We spend time in CO up in the mountains near ponds and streams and was wondering what are some of the basics. We have two poles license etc with some lures no boat and my son (7) can cast but do we cast out reel in slowly or immediately or put on a bobber and let it stay for bit We would appreciate any coaching thanks

FishinFool408
08-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the boards hulzy! So, are you saying that you'll be fishing in Colorado? And if you know, what species of fish will you be fishing for or are available in the ponds & streams that you'll be fishing?

SuperDave
08-25-2005, 09:58 AM
My buddy retired to CO last year and I went out to visit/fish. We fished from the bank and float tube. What part of Colorado are you in? The lakes of Colorado are, in general, pretty small compared to our CA lakes. I caught lots of Rainbows on Powerbait as well as a variety of spinners. I even hooked a giant Pike at Rifle Gap Res. in my float tube. That was good for a ride.

When fishing the streams, use lures, eggs or worms and cast up stream. Start reeling immediately and just slow enough to keep your offering from hanging up in the bottom. Expect to lose a lot of gear stream fishing as you will get lots of snags trying to learn the right speed. For lakes, bring your lawn chairs and relax.

sneak1000
08-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Trout fishing (i assume thats what they catch in Co.) can be done in a number of ways but the most productive for a newbie to learn would be the "ol'powerbait and wait" method. Get a smaller hook, mabye a size 6 or and 8, slap two or three small lead pinch weights about 12- 30in from the hook, cast out and have a great day with your son. '
Oh yea WHEN you get a bite dont forget to set that hook!!! ;D

BassFooler
08-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the 'Sniffer hulzy!
As with just about anywhere, fishing with bait or artificial requires a bit of trial and error. For bait fishing, whether it be inflated nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, powerbait, etc- go with sneaks approach- start your hook to sinker length at 12-14 inches, if that doesnt work, move your sinker up another 4-6 inches, and again if that doesnt work- you need to find the 'ideal' height off the bottom where the fish want your offering to be- once there, you'll know!
As for artificials (spinners, spoons, plugs)you will have to try, methodically how the fish want the presentation. Sometimes it will be fast on right on top of the water, sometimes they want it to drop to the bottom and a slow retrieve. Start with casting it out and pulling it back in immediately- if that doesnt work after a while, let it sink for a couple seconds and slow your retrieve a bit and keep working it until you find that magic presentation. But whatever you and your son do- just make sure you have fun- that's what it's all about ! ;D
Good luck!

Fishkiller_Jr.
08-25-2005, 12:34 PM
:)Welcoome to the boards hulzy.Hopefully like more experienced fishers then me could come to the board to help you out some more so you can catch big fish and give you some tips to catch what what ever fish you want to.

Fishkiller Jr.

SuperDave
08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
From my first experience in Colorado, it wasn't shoot'in fish in a barrel but isn't as rough as CA fishing. A LOT less pressure. One of the high mountain lakes we went to, we were the only 2 people fishing and we caught between 30 to 40 fish in a 3 hour period.

hulzy
08-25-2005, 04:27 PM
WOW! I am a believer the internet and Sniffer are fantastic.
-- I really appreciate everyone's response. I have asked around here and got some guidance but nothing like what all of you provided. This will be invaluable to my son and I. We are going to have a ball!

Signed Hulzy