PDA

View Full Version : Carps and Corn

usarfang
08-21-2005, 09:28 PM
I always fish for Carps with corn and it works great. But i was told that they can't really digiest it. and if they eat too much it kills them. is that true?

usarfang
08-21-2005, 09:31 PM
O yea!! anyone acutully eat carps? i was told their ****ty taste fish. i havn't ate one that i known off yet... but im pretty sure when i was in China i ate them before, just don't remeber. how are they anyways?

Christopherjake
08-21-2005, 10:13 PM
I haven't had carp either but they are definitely there because I have seen many of them jump whenever we go fishing. *There are some huge ones out there because people here hardly ever fish for them. *I have tried canned corn but didn't have much luck.

My buddy and I found a dead one (26 lbs) while we were bass fishing so he decided to take a picture with it. *

Feast your eyeballs on these:

http://programgeeks.com/gallery/larry/081005larry/081005larry4.jpg

http://programgeeks.com/gallery/larry/081005larry/081005larry.jpg

I can only imagine fighting a fish this size, even if it's a carp. * ;)

fishrman4life
08-21-2005, 10:37 PM
well, most people catch and release bass too, so i dont see too much of a difference in preferences of fish to eat

isdaann
08-22-2005, 10:49 AM
I think Carp can handle corn, they eat dead vegetation anyways. I heard its trout that you have to worry about. I understand corn is illegal to use when trout fishing. Another killer bait for carp is wheaties doughball made with strawberry soda, try it!

Wolf74
08-22-2005, 12:10 PM
I've had carp before. They're a bit muddy in taste and extreamly boney. Not my favorite fish. But every time I've ever fished for them I've used corn and it always works pretty good. You could always use Stripermans miricle bait too.

fishrman4life
08-22-2005, 05:27 PM
do you just hook several kernels on a 1/0 hook?

catfished
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Hello Steve,

Corn definitely does not harm carp in any way. Even the dry feed corn that comes in 50 lb bags won't hurt them as long as it's soaked for 24 hours or more.

Canned or frozen corn probably does harm the planter rainbows. I used to catch trout at San Pablo Reservoir that were bloated with corn and might very well have died without going into my frying pan. I guess there were fishermen nearby that were chumming with corn. Corn is perfectly legal to use as bait for all species including trout but of course chumming with anything including corn is illegal in California rivers, lakes and reservoirs except for certain areas in the Delta.

Have fun catching and releasing those "golden sportfish".

I always fish for Carps with corn and it works great. But i was told that they can't really digiest it. and if they eat too much it kills them. is that true?

lake-troller
08-22-2005, 06:47 PM
Rig with a sliding sinker, swivel, and treble hook, just as you would power bait. I use a size 6 or 8 treble. One or two kernels on each hook. Corn right out of the can works well. Once they get the scent, you will get a few feeding in the area. The more baits in the water the better of coarse.

usarfang
08-22-2005, 08:17 PM
man I just use a size 4 hook and a sliding sinker. put like three corn in there from the canned corn. they LOVE that stuff

MB_Kevin
08-23-2005, 07:38 PM
Hot Dog ;)

catfished
08-24-2005, 08:55 AM
True, hot dogs cut into bite sized chunks are a good carp bait.

Wolf74
08-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Then again what isn't.

MB_Kevin
08-24-2005, 09:35 PM
True, hot dogs cut into bite sized chunks are a good carp bait.
yea when we are catfishing at night with hot dogs we pull in some carp. Alot of times we dont get cats but get some carp.