PDA

View Full Version : newbie wanting to catch fish

doccjc
08-04-2005, 08:07 AM
Great forum,,, newbie here,,, just came across your site last week, hoping someone can help...
I am looking to take my son fishing for anything,, just somewhere where he could catch anything,, just for the action We are in the San mateo area and were hoping to do a day trip,, we've tried Lake Merced (real slow), Lake Chabot,(2 trips, one bite), I am looking for any spot where he may experience some action,,, willing to even try salt water fishing, pacifica Pier? or Half Moon bay... we even bought a crabbing net, and had some fun at Pier 2 at monterey Bay,, caught 1 crab,,,, tried jigging for smelt,,, no luck,, If we do go salt water,, any ideas where to get setups and poles? So if anyone can steer us in the right direction, fresh, salt,,, (no boat acccess though),,, it would be much appreciated...

Thanks,, and great site...

Doc

FishinFool408
08-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Welcome to the boards Doccjc! *There are many places you can take your son fishin. *Your best bet is to just read the previous threads for the info you are looking for. *The gear you purchase all depends on the type of fishing you want to do. *Good luck regardless!

Mickey_Thomas
08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
doccjc, welcome to the boards, you might try Berryessa, there's a few places there to catch Bass and Crappie off the shore line. Post a question on the Pan Fish Forum and ask where to go at Berryessa, you won't need a lot of gear, just 2 rods and reels and maybe some weights and hooks and bait. Good luck 8)

BassFooler
08-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Welcome to the boards doccjc!!

doccjc
08-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Anyone try Parkway lake in San Jose? * Lake Berryessa is worth a try,,, * We've been skunked at Lake Chabot and Lake Merced,,, would be nice to have a well stocked lake close by ....

johnbfishin
08-04-2005, 10:31 PM
Welcometo the boards doccjc.
Are you using catfish baits? That's pretty much the game til late Oct. early Nov. in the Bay Area lakes,then they start planting trout

h00kie
08-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Welcome!!!
For fast, non-stop action, nothing beats the anchovie/sardine bite at the Santa Cruz municipal wharf. Time it right during the swing of a big incoming tide. They usually come around July thru Sept. I prefer to use my 6'6" trout pole w/ 8# test & 1oz torpedo sinker at the end of the sabiki rig. Just underhand cast and jig it all the way back to the wharf. At times they like to hang around the pilings so you can just drop your line down and jig there. During clear water conditions, you can actually see the school swimming by. Try the beginning of the wharf past the fish cleaning station or out near the middle in between the 2nd and 3rd fish cleaning stations. Guaranteed lots of fun if you get into them. You can keep some for deep frying or for bait. Good luck.

doccjc
08-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Just got back from lake Chabot,,, tried again for catfish,,,, no luck,, but,,, had many bites at Honkers Bay,,, was using mackerel, chicken liver, worms, hot dogs,,, tried everything.... Was going to Lake Devalle,, but weather too hot inland,,, may head back to pacifica pier,, and let the little guy hook up some perch and bullhead,,,
thanks for the tip at Santa cruz wharf,,, we just got back from monterey, and were jigging at Pier 2,,, couldnt catch any smelt,,, but had fun.... will try santa cruz,,,
May be hard to get my son away from pacifica pier,,, a catch every cast is hard to beat,, no matter how small the fish,,,,

still trying to find the lake to catch a few trout,,, and close to home,, willing to drive 1- 2 hours from san mateo area,,,

johnbfishin
08-07-2005, 06:28 AM
Highly unlikely to get into trout from Bay area lakes til the water cools off, around the end of Oct. Check the NorCalfishing web site for stocking info on these lakes.

Zepplock
08-11-2005, 07:24 PM
Can you please give exact location of Santa Cruz Wharf?
What are the limits?

h00kie
08-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Zepplock,
Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf is located right next to the boardwalk.
Here's their website: http://www.ci.santa-cruz.ca.us/pr/wharf/

In there, you could check for tides and surf condition. There is also a webcam that captures the surf at the lighthouse just north of the wharf. I use it so that I know if I should wear shorts or not depending on the fog.

MB_Kevin
08-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Hey doc.
I take my daughter fishing, and my nephew panfish popper all the time. Berryessa is a great lake with lots of fish and some big ones too. I live in pacifica and work in san mateo and it is usually worth the drive. If you go in the spring it is best but now has cats and alot of bluegill biting. Parkway has a sure catch pond that you can get catfish out of easily but can be costly. :-/.. your problem is merced is slow and is just starting plants.
I don't know what is up with Cabot but I have gone there 2 times and never got a fish.
For this area it is definitely worth the few more miles to hit Del Valle. I have never been skunked there and have gone alot. The first trip I took Panfish popper really fishing was there after being skunked or catching bull head at merced. we rented a boat for half day. pretty cheep considering all the driving around fishing you are doing. and we got so many Big cats I told him we had to leave the spot because he didn't want to let any go. we also got some bass and blue gill on the trip it was great. here are some pic.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1324/1/42/91/72/29/2/229729142106_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1324/1/42/91/32/45/9/945329142106_0_ALB.jpg

FishinFool408
08-18-2005, 01:20 PM
Those are some nice sized red X's you caught there MB. ;D ::)

panfish_popper
08-18-2005, 02:52 PM
I see the pics???

MB_Kevin
08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
you see red Xs there fishin fool ??? I see the pic but this is my new way of doing it so let me know. I dont want to be posting red X's for some to see ??? >:( :'(

what do others see red X or panfish with some fish??

h00kie
08-18-2005, 09:05 PM
i see red x too ???