PDA

View Full Version : Inflatables....Yes or No?

fishrman4life
08-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Should I go with an inflatable boat? I only have $500 or less to spend on a boat with electric motor and accessories. What has been your opinion of inflatables? What brand? What gauge of pvc, etc?

Heres a few options I've been kicking around:

http://seaeagle.com/motormount/SE8.asp#

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=37053&hvarTarget=search& cmCat=200-0-0&cmid=MEFP1_1

I tried to find others, but it looks like its down to Sevylor vs Sea Eagle. Please help.

BTW: I know inflatables are not the preferred method of travel on the water...if I had a few tens of thousands of dollars, I wouldnt be asking this question. :) ;D ;D

BassFooler
08-15-2005, 07:23 AM
I guess that one question you need to answer first is the type of bodies of water you plan on traversing. I've used an inflatable (Sevylor) with a trolling motor and fishin' buddy on small lakes and ponds and it worked perfectly- I'm not sure how comfortable I would be on any body of water that has tendency to create large swells quickly however- all in all- for the money- they definitely do the job.
But, for the money, if you do some shopping- you could pick up a 10-12 ft aluminum with a small outboard for the same price. My buddy just sold his 12ft with 15hp outboard, trolling motor and trailer for $500, so the deals are definitely out there. You might even be better off waiting for summer to end when people are looking to get rid of their boats and you might find a better deal then.
my 2 cents.
BF

Flipper266
08-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Fisherman, Ever consider a kayak?
I have had mine now for around 6 months and have fished in lakes and the ocean with it. No motor though so you have to work more but it can go just about anywhere. Nad for 500 bucks you are set!

Pimpinmeat
08-15-2005, 02:06 PM
This idea will depend on what type of fishing your doing, but there's alot of good prices on pontoon boats. You can only fish one person though. Good for small water and most rivers.

RonM
08-15-2005, 03:00 PM
I had one of these when I went down to Bass Lake. I had to make a few stops on vacation so I couldn't take my boat down with me. Put one these in the trunk of the car and it worked great for the one time use. The Sevylor did develop leaks that had to be patched after the kids made a few trips rafting down the American and didn't last much longer before it was unusable.

Wolf74
08-15-2005, 03:46 PM
You should ask Panfish Popper about those inflatables. I think he has a Sevylor and he seems to nail them alot with it. But Bassfooler's right. I think if ya look around enough, you can find an aluminum or a fiberglass boat for around the same price. Check out Cragslist or something like that.

fishrman4life
08-15-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the info, but im not looking for something im gonna need a trailer with. I only have a midsized car to work with and no trailer hitch for it. Thats why im interested in inflatables. My buddy has a sea eagle and ive been in it and caught bass, crappie, gills and trout from it. So right now its down to Sevy VS. Sea Eagle. The Sea Eagles are awesome, but I like the price of a Sevylor...so thats my dilema, I just want something reliable that I can scoot about in until I can get my paws on a fuel EFFICIENT SUV or Truck to be able to even touch getting a aluminum boat. ;D ;D ;D

innovate
08-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Master Baiter has a Sea Eagle like mine, except his is the SE-9, and mine is the SE-8.

Yo Ed - how about going with an SE-6? They're priced pretty cheap. Perfect for your Mather trips.

http://www.seaeagle.com

Roland

fishrman4life
08-16-2005, 12:38 AM
I want more room though and the ability to expand if I want...Im going to be taking a cooler with me on my trips and my tackle box, etc...so I like the 9 foot option, im looking around at some outfitters websites and think I can find a pretty good deal at one of them. ;) ;)

ACTUALLY, it looks like the 6 wont break my bank and its still 8 foot 8 inches. Now, I havent made a final decision yet...BUT it looks as if this Sea Eagle, with 33mil polykrylar and a free life jacket will be the thing i go with. Its 612 and some change for all the package including minn kota troller.

I had better stop now, because I am getting all giddy like a school girl over this thing ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

joez3
08-16-2005, 06:53 AM
I have been thinking of getting the 8ft sea eagle. How do you think a boat like this would do in river like the Sac or American with a small 2hp motor?
Joe

innovate
08-16-2005, 08:09 AM
joez3,

It will do well in the river. I've launched out of Hogback Island in my SE-8. The rig took wakes from big cruisers with no problem. I have a 36LB Trust Minn Kota on mine and it pushes me around fairly quick, even with two guys on board. Im sure with a 2hp motor you'd be able to get the thing to plane.

fishrman4life
08-16-2005, 04:54 PM
A 2 horse would be awesome, the only thing is that it takes gas...gas aint cheap right now, I like the electric idea better.

MB_Kevin
08-16-2005, 09:31 PM
well with gas and those little motors dont take much. I would like to see you run a 2 HP hout of a galon of gas in a day. at $3.00 a galon that would be good. the thing I like about gas on my sea eagle is that I can add more if I need to its hard to do with the electric. I have both. they both have there place. the reason I have an inflatable is because I dont have anywhere to park a trailer. I can keep the inflatable in my shed! the sea eagle is a little thin but is the best I found for the price. I also have a achillies and it is much more durable but not as cool and is more expensive. I had a big catfish pop my sea eagle but fixed it on the water and kept on fishing. it only took about 3 min. here is a pic and it will take alot of gear. I would go with a gas motor if possible. ;)
The sea eagle is cool and I would recomend it.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1335/1/32/49/23/99/6/699234932106_0_ALB.jpg

fishrman4life
08-16-2005, 10:13 PM
I thought so. Sea Eagle will be my pick. Just have to wait a couple more weeks. I still want to get one while they have their summer sell off going.

Empire
08-17-2005, 06:57 AM
*I had a big catfish pop my sea eagle but fixed it on the water and kept on fishing. http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1335/1/32/49/23/99/6/699234932106_0_ALB.jpg

As I was reading these posts I was wondering if that ever happened to anyone.

innovate
08-17-2005, 03:13 PM
Had the same thing happen to me and fishrman4life while we were at Amador about a month back. There were some small holes in a straight-line orientation on the upper chamber. Probably happened while landing a fish. Quick fix at the dock and were back out there fishing.

MB_Kevin
08-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Yea I went to realse the catfish after some pic and it hit the boat with its sharp and hard fin. then as I was trying to help panfish land his I heard it hissing. patched it on the water and was going to change it later but seemed to be on good so I left it. here are some pic.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1324/1/42/81/47/17/5/517478142106_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1324/1/42/81/47/18/9/918478142106_0_ALB.jpg
Now my boat has a war story ;D

Wishnbfishn
08-18-2005, 01:14 PM
Hi fisherman4life.

I have a 12 foot Intex with a 55 lb thrust MinnKota Vector that I use all the time on the American, and have used on the Sac as well. I could have bought an aluminum, but liked the idea of being able to put in just about anyplace I want. I have a pump that runs off the motor battery, so I can inflate the thing right at the waters edge. You can't beat being able to get to those spots unreachable by the bank, anchor up, and drop your line. With the high flows on the American, I had to be careful this year, but it is getting better now. Even with the 55 lb. thrust, I couldn't always fight the current and move upstream.

Good luck in your search!

Wishn

fishrman4life
08-18-2005, 06:39 PM
thanks, sounds like i got the decision made now.