PDA

View Full Version : Left or Right?

BassFooler
08-04-2005, 03:11 PM
In everyday activities, I am right handed- but I fish left handed...I never put 2 and 2 together until a couple years ago when I realized that my grandfather, who taught me to fish was left handed- and from using his gear, I learned to fish left handed (which is the ONLY way I can fish now...). I was just curious what the ratio is of the rest of the sniffers out there who fish right or left handed...why? ??? I dunno...just curious! :)

2QUARTSLOW
08-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Thier is no such thing as being left handed or right handed.

When I use a spinning rod I reel with my left and fight with my right, With a baitcast set up I reel with my right and fight with my left.

I am right handed.

So the question is should you have more control reeling with your strong hand, or fighting a fish with your strong hand.

Your stong hand has more coordination so controlling the reel during battle (drag, reeling, taking line and giving line). OR...... using the strong hand which is your strong arm to fight the fight .

Personal preference is key

krzyfshrmn
08-04-2005, 05:28 PM
My theory, which ever hand you wear your baseball glove on should be the hand you hold your rod with.

ratss427
08-04-2005, 06:59 PM
i am right handed .but reel with my left hand.maybe i am all screwed up.

johnbfishin
08-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm getting confused so I'll just leave well enough alone.

rats, i think you lost it dewd. ;D

I got it!...I cast with my right and reel with my left. I'm a righty.

ratss427
08-04-2005, 08:14 PM
* My theory, which ever hand you wear your baseball glove on should be the hand you hold your rod with.
oh! *just got it! ;) ;D krzy you are a naughty monkey! :D

krzyfshrmn
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
I was thinking strictly fishing Mark. ;D

I catch with my left and throw with the right. Hold rod with the left, reel with the right. I'm getting dizzy ;D

ratss427
08-04-2005, 08:27 PM
looks like john b needs to get his head out of the gutter ;) ;D or maybe i'm the demented one ??? :o

BassFooler
08-05-2005, 07:38 AM
Hell, I'm the one that started this thread and now IM CONFUSED!!! New question (kinda)- do you fish left handed if you reel left handed or if you cast left handed?
??? ???

randyfishing
08-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Depends on the rod and reel. With fly fishing I hold the rod in the right for better casting and control of the line since I am hopelessly right-handed. That way I can strip with the left and control the strike and line tension with my right hand. Also the reel is easily adjusted for left or right. Reeling in the fly line feels funny because it is like winding the line up backwards, counterclockwise....however i strip while landing a fish because I have to let go of the line to reel. On the conventional pole I cast with the right, switch hands while the line is on the fly, and reel with the right clockwise.

So as usual it what it boils down to is user preference, hold your pole however it feels good ;)

ITUKAWAL
08-05-2005, 11:23 AM
That is weird.....

For rods with casting reels I hold the rod with my left hand.
For rods with spinning reels I use my right hand.

You think your confused.

Remember....if people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage on fishing poles.

metalmouth
08-05-2005, 11:35 AM
My poles are set up to my strength. That means as a right handed person, I want to fight the fish and work the drag (if it's a bait casting) with my right arm as it's easier and reel with my left. Only problem with that is you can't buy line counter reels set up that way and aftermarket line counters suck when they get wet. :-/

LingSlayer
08-05-2005, 11:35 AM
LOL, funny thread!

;D

I have been curious about this for a while myself...

I am right handed.
I wear my glove on the left hand.
I hold the pole with the right, and reel with the left.
Baitcaster or spinning, makes no difference.

That's just how I learned to do it. I have tried the other way and it just doesnt work.

Enjoy the weekend!
LS

2datyee
08-05-2005, 02:33 PM
For me it's simple. I'm right handed so I hold the rod in my right hand. You should fight the fish with the rod, not the reel. That leaves me with one hand for the reel, left. So I buy conventional spinning reels and "left-handed" bait casters.

2datyee

troutfan
08-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I'm a lefty...fishing I mean not politics! ;)

blue_chrush
08-06-2005, 06:45 PM
spinning reels and bass reels....
hold/cast with your right & reel with your left..
this allows for faster casting and not having to
swithch hands to cast.....

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:4J-WH1bmXGsJ:www.ackfishing.com/images/okumaoryx2.gif

http://www.championoutfitters.com/trion-lefthand-baitcast-reel.jpg

ocean baitcasting or conventional reels are the only
ones I crank with the right hand, as I rarely cast them..
and while cranking up heavy fish its easier to control
the pole as you are using your right hand to reel...

http://store1.yimg.com/I/tackle_1856_20711152

MB_Kevin
08-06-2005, 09:03 PM
I'm trying to switch. I always get teased about holding my spinning reel upside down :-/ I got used to it but am trying to change. I have more experience the other way but guess it could be faster the new way but my casts are all over the place. I will figure it out.

sehoner
08-07-2005, 10:24 AM
dont feel bad mb, i get teased too. they always say, hey why u fishing with ur left hand and pickin ur nose with ur right? i just say because i cut some dines with my right hand and i dont want no guts up my nose. and besides, fish can smell a booger a mile away, an they dont like em!

no but on a serious note. i have both right and left handed baitcasters. right handed is on my sturgeon pole, the left handed is on my striper/salmon/steelhead/bass pole. i find it easier to finesse with my left hand and much more powwer with my right . maybe im just all screwed up though!

Budman
08-07-2005, 11:18 AM
I seem to be the only one to get it right, as a left-hander. When bank fishing, I always held the rod in my left hand. However, when I started trolling, I almost got it wrong thinking I needed a "left-handed" reel, but what fool left-hander would want to hold the rod in his right hand? So naturally I have right-handed reels, which of course are actually for left-handers. Comprende?

sehoner
08-07-2005, 11:32 AM
im gonna go with no on that one bud. its all very confusin so i just say yes to everything. taht way no one really knows that i dont know anything

Wolf74
08-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I always had a problem reeling in with my right hand even when i first started fishing. So I always stuck with the regular spinning reels and reeled in with my left. I think it was one of the big reasons I never bought a baitcaster until recently. Most of them come set to reel in with the right hand and I could never do that. I didn't even know they made left handed baitcasters until about a month ago. All of this and I'm RIGHT HANDED! Its the same when i fire a bow and arrow, or a slingshot. I have to hold the bow/slingshot with my right hand, and pull back with my left. I guess I'm just odd. ;D

thomas
08-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Very confusing. I am left handed and reel with my right hand, no matter what type of reel or rod. My opinion is that if you use your left hand to fight the fish, and reel with your right hand then you are using a left hand reel .
What ever.

mike22ca
08-07-2005, 08:36 PM
I'm right handed and reel with my left. What bugs me about it is that there are way more options when looking for right handed reels.

RIVER_RAT
08-08-2005, 06:36 AM
I reel with my left hand on a spinning reel and with my right with an bait cast and both feel natural but a fishing buddy of mine has a right handed handle on his spinning reel
and that feels very awkward. go figure

BassFooler
08-08-2005, 08:47 AM
My god, what have I started.....

sehoner
08-08-2005, 09:41 AM
ya way to go BF. ;) now instead of fishin these guys are gonna be runnin around trying to find a left handed screw driver and right handed socket sets.................wait a minute that means more fish for us! way to go BF! u the man! ;D

BassFooler
08-09-2005, 07:25 AM
ya way to go BF. ;) now instead of fishin these guys are gonna be runnin around trying to find a left handed screw driver and right handed socket sets.................wait a minute that means more fish for us! * * *way to go BF! u the man! ;D

Speaking of which, guys...I have some of those left handed screwdrivers if you are interested....$50 a piece... ;D ;D

randyfishing
08-09-2005, 08:57 AM
Look what you started bassfooler ;)

sehoner
08-09-2005, 11:12 AM
hey BF i would buy them but im right handed. but i reel with my left, so am i really right handed?! i confused. MATT DAMON! ;D

jdogg
08-09-2005, 12:50 PM
i'm left handed but i spank the monkey with my right.oh shoot! wrong forum, sorry

Striperman
08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Could have done without that little snippit of information. haha I reel with my left when im using a spinning rod and reel with my right when im using a bait caster! haha ive never thought about this before untill now! haha What made you think about this in the first place?

Striperman

BassFooler
08-09-2005, 02:34 PM
i'm left handed but i spank the monkey with my right.oh shoot! wrong forum, sorry

So pretty much anybody that borrows one of your fishin rods is screwed...huh? ;D ;D ;D

BassFooler
08-09-2005, 02:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Could have done without that little snippit of information. haha I reel with my left when im using a spinning rod and reel with my right when im using a bait caster! haha ive never thought about this before untill now! haha What made you think about this in the first place?

Striperman
Hey Striperman-
My business partner always busts my chops about using a left handed (crank on left side!) reel even though Im right handed... I figured out why (cause I was taught to fish that way...by my left handed grandfather)- but I was just curious to see how many others were as bassackwards as myself!

FreshwaterFrank
08-09-2005, 02:50 PM
This thread is a brain twister...never thought about this subject before. I never used a level wind regularly until I got a boat & started trolling in 1999. Before that it was all spinning reels & fly reels & always left hand reel, right hand cast. I remember being confused at first, with the right hand reel, but now I greatly prefer it for fighting fish. I'm right-handed, so my right hand is free to adjust the drag...move the tiller, grab the net/whatever...because the rod is what "fights" the fish. When I go stream or lake fishing & use a spinning rig...now it takes me a bit to get used to the opposite set-up! For sure, I could never cast left handed, but controlling the rod is now second nature using my left hand & I prefer that arrangement. Maybe I should try a left-handed spinning rod, & practice a quick switch for reeling? Now I'm really cornfused...thanks a lot!

donzitroller
08-09-2005, 06:07 PM
As was pretty much summed up above, spin = left hand reel, bait = right hand reel.. or so I thought. This past year I started using balancers and my bait rods sit with the reel down and not up as they usually are when in my rod holders. What this caused was a tendency to set the hook with the levelwind upside down and I did a lot of my reeling with the left hand, and backwards even.. until I got a chance to flip it over and reel the "right" way.. now I'm really messed up! Oh what fishing does to our sense of "right" and "left".. am I a "RIGHTY" or a "LEFTY"?? I don't know anymore, and I'm sure the fish don't either! The important thing is that the fish gets into the boat.. FISH ON!

BassFooler
08-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Fish on Donzi- Fish on! ;D

2QUARTSLOW
08-10-2005, 08:53 AM
Ok let me see.....

Like my original post it there is no such thing as a left or right hand.

Lets go back to the past.

In the beginning, 75 plus years ago, Spinning reels had a left hand reel, and baitcaster/Conventional reels had a right had reel. (These designs were mainly for right handed dominant people)

Ive read the reasons on here already,
-Spinning rods more of a finesse type of fishing and easier for the common person to use. Reel with non-dominant hand and fight/finesse fish in with dominant (think of right handed fly fisherman they fight fish with right hand and strip line and take line with left) Why I dont know Im not a fly fisherman.
-Baitcast/Conventional is a power type of fishing big game original use and trolling. Reel with right hand and fight with the left, this makes no sense if you think about it, your dominant arm is more powerful. All I can think is you have more speed control and cordination with you dominant hand make taking line in and changing the drag as the fight goes on.

Im no expert this is just a trained observer at work.

**Side Note** I watched all three days of the Bassmaster Classic, those who used both types of reels during the 3 day tournament had the handles opposite of each other.

Again, personal preference is key

The_Big_Sinus
08-10-2005, 09:08 AM
I use left-handed baitcasters and right-handed spinning reels. The left handed bait caster means I don't have to switch hands after I cast to reel- much more convenient.

FreshwaterFrank
08-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Schnozzolla...you are "left-handed" right?

right-left...this is making me dizzy.

The_Big_Sinus
08-10-2005, 06:01 PM
No... I'm right handed. Here's my logic, it has nothing to do with which hand holds the rod while fighting a fish, or which hand cranks. It has everything to do with which hand controls the "release" when you cast.

For example, on a spinning reel, I want the right, dominant hand, to pinch down the line and release- my fine motor skills are better developed on that hand. For baitcasting, I want my right hand to "thumb" the spool. So... If I use a right handed baitcaster (I think I own 3 or 4, mostly for trolling) then I have to switch hands to reel, because I have the thumb on the spool during the cast, and then when I reel in, a have to hold the rod with the left hand and reel with the right.

This does not happen with a left-handed reel. Hand is on the spool, and then when I reel in, I use my left hand- same as a right-hand spinning reel set-up. I don't have to switch hands. To see how awkward and unatural it is to switch between cast and retrieve, take the handle off your spinning reel and put in on the right side of the reel. Continue to cast with your right arm... You'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I guess in the "big picture" of fishing, it really doesn't matter that much. But, it's one of the little things that makes the whole experience a touch more pleasurable.

fishrman4life
08-10-2005, 07:58 PM
i look at it this way...my right is my power hand, i want that one to set the hook on the fish...reeling is a weaker activity than fighting or setting the hook on a fish...so i hold with my right, reel with my left

Empire
08-11-2005, 05:13 AM
I read a report that right handed people are smarter than left handed.

Mickey_Thomas
08-11-2005, 05:15 AM
and much better looking too ;D ;D

ITUKAWAL
08-11-2005, 05:42 AM
You're left handed ain't ya Mick ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D

drstressor
08-11-2005, 07:15 AM
No. That's just his Monkey Hand. ;D

randyfishing
08-11-2005, 09:22 AM
doc, you surprise me :o

drstressor
08-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Couldn't resist. ;D

h00kie
08-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Couldn't resist. ;D
It's contagious isn't it? Just can't help ourselves sometimes, I know...

Left or Right,
On spinning reels, I hold the pole w/ my right hand since it is my power hand. Although I do throw and bat w/ my left hand. :-/ Go figure.
As far as baitcasting, I started off w/ a right-hand model but it felt awkward when I go for hookset and not to mention having have to switch hands after casting. I since switched over to left-hand models and it feels more natural.
So in conclusion, I left the right for the left cuz it didn't feel right ???

fishrman4life
08-12-2005, 01:26 AM
Monkey hands...you guys :-[ ;D ;D ;D

troutfan
08-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Monkey hands...you guys :-[ ;D ;D ;D

???

drstressor
08-12-2005, 07:26 AM
I don't want to have to lock the thread because of my own comment. ;)

BassFooler
08-12-2005, 09:55 AM

LMAO ;D ;D ;D Now that would be funny!

FishinFool408
08-12-2005, 12:41 PM
It's contagious isn't it? Just can't help ourselves sometimes, I know...

Left or Right,
On spinning reels, I hold the pole w/ my right hand since it is my power hand. Although I do throw and bat w/ my left hand. :-/ Go figure.
As far as baitcasting, I started off w/ a right-hand model but it felt awkward when I go for hookset and not to mention having have to switch hands after casting. I since switched over to left-hand models and it feels more natural.
So in conclusion, I left the right for the left cuz it didn't feel right ???
Wow h00kie! Lol cause of your closing comment! ;D

ratss427
08-12-2005, 05:42 PM
doc ,you are too much. ;D

fishrman4life
08-12-2005, 06:41 PM
PLEASE dont..this is just too funny ;D ;D ;D ;)

johnbfishin
08-14-2005, 10:08 PM
I've always used a spinning reel, that's a no brainer, cast with the right and reel with the left.
I got a boat and started trolling. I was told to get a bait casting reel, that I did. When I reel it in I hold the pole in my right and reel with my left...as always. Now I learn that I'm holding my pole upside down?

BassFooler
08-15-2005, 07:26 AM
If you are holding your reel upside down, then you are using a right handed baitcaster and reeling backwards...you COULD be weird like me (or maybe we're the normal ones?) and just get a left hand crank reel... ;D

kstone44
08-15-2005, 11:40 PM
For me, spinning I'll crank with the left hand and for baitcasters I will throw either right or left handed depending on the conditions or part of the deck I'm casting from.Most casting will be for targets well away from me and I use a two handed cast and at the end of the cast the left hand takes control of the rod and the right cranks , seems natural to me although I was talked into the left handed bait caster set up and fished them for about a year and then sold them it didn't feel natural so as they say to each his (or her) own.