PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Road Camping - Around Beldon

Fish-on
08-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Need some help please...going camping this weekend up in the Feather river canyon area some place off of Caribou Road around Beldon (North on HWY-70 past Oroville). There is supposed t be a creek/river flowing through the camp ground but I have no idea what the river is and what I can expect to fish for. I got everything for trout, salmon, stripers, and cats. Does anyone know this area? If so what can I fish for and how is the fishing around this area. I know one day I will make the journey down to the Feather Riv for salmon but if I can walk to the river and catch some thing that wouold be AWESOME!!

fence_man
08-09-2005, 07:01 PM
trout mostly there sm. creeks sm. ponds at power dams.

Roach210x2
08-10-2005, 12:17 AM
The last time I was up there on the third weekend in may. I was camping on a stream up near Lake Almanor and the creek was completly full and looked like chocolate milk. So no catching took place there but on the way back down the canyon we stopped by the N.Fork Feather directly below Beldon Dam and Forebay. That was the only fishable water in the whole system because they have so much control over the flows with all the powerhouses it was still clear and at normal levels. While just the day before we left home, there was flash flood warnings issued for the whole N.Fork Feather Canyon because the E.Fork is unrestricted so in the main canyon the water was flowing over the top of the dams, but when it's not you can catch trout and smallies around the big boulders that you'll see between the tunnels you go through going up HWY 70. It's just a spot you pull off to the side of the road, climb down , and fish. There are signs posted all over the place warning that the flows could increase very quickly without notice because of the powerhouses. We did see some people camping below Beldon Forbay but I don't think it's an actual campground. There were not any no camping signs posted last time I was there so it should be cool to camp there. Well there's a bit of info I hope this helps you out a little at least.

Roach