PDA

View Full Version : Perch at Pyramid

JohnnieB
07-24-2005, 07:18 AM
Anybody got the scoop on techniques for the Perch at Pyramid ??? ??? I fished them as a kid with poppers at sutcliff but I'm sure it's all changed as that was a long long time ago

Zucca
07-24-2005, 02:15 PM
The perch will still hit poppers, jigs, small spoons and flies.

Mickey_Thomas
07-25-2005, 05:59 AM
Where is the best place to find the Perch in Pyramid? will they be eating around where the Cutts are hanging out and eating on the schools of bait?

kstone44
07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Mickey wasn't it in september that the Perch bite was so good ;)

drstressor
07-25-2005, 04:01 PM
What happened last years was that the perch were hitting the young of the year chubs hard until they reached a few inches in size. A couple of guys were getting them at Hells Kitchen and some of the other rocky areas until August. They were trolling small spoons along the walls about 15-25 ft deep using downriggers. By the time we (myself and a few other sniffers) went after them in August, the trout had completely taken over the areas where the perch were hanging out. So it appears that the perch are attracted by the small chubs, but once the bait got to a certain size the trout found them and seemed to run the perch off.

You can catch perch close to shore in the morning and evening when they spawn in May and early June using poppers and crappie jigs. I've caught them a couple of times during the winter near hot springs. But I've never been able to find them consistently any time of year.

I hope to give them a shot early in the AM one day this week. You can no longer have downriggers on board during the closed trout season, so I guess we'll jig.

Mickey_Thomas
07-25-2005, 04:32 PM
You can no longer have downriggers on board during the closed trout season, so I guess we'll jig.
Gee Doc doesn't that mean you might hook a trout and have to release it ;D ;D ;D

Sierra_hillbilly
07-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Wow I thought the pearch fishing was just an early trout report ;D ;)
S_h

Mr_Ed
08-02-2005, 04:13 PM
I have caught perch at pyr. lake mostly on jigs. My best colors were black, green & white. Most of the time I use ultra lite gear: 4-6lb test and 1/8oz to 1/4 oz max for "feel". Some time a 1oz weight on the bottom with 2 jigs tied at 16- 20 inchesabove the weight. My best depth has been 70feet in to 30 feet. Look for rock formatinons !!! or Islands and channels. My best is 3 pounds 4 oz and I have A Nev. F & G Cert. for this biggest fish of the year! By the way they taste great. Later...Mr Ed.

JohnnieB
08-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Thank-you Ed what is the best month and time of day to fish for them??