PDA

View Full Version : Final 2005 Shad Reports

drstressor
07-12-2005, 11:13 AM
Here you go guys. Put the final reports for the year here.

Doc

Paddleman
07-12-2005, 01:13 PM
Intimidator, depends on where you want to fish.

The ramp at sunrise can be used with a drift boat or a small aluminum. I would fish the upper sunrise area or Sailor Bar area. As you know Sailor Bar has a launch. Upper Sunrise, back it up in the rocks and push the boat off. Lower Sunrise use the launch. It is a bit rough but I have launched there often with no problems.

I am thinking about going out this evening. May see you out there.

Intimidator
07-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Thanks like always paddleman.
Hope to see you out there....
Think I'll do the rock thing......
should be out there around 6:30

fisheone
07-13-2005, 05:52 AM
Where's the fish? Went out below the hatchery cable till about 6:30 pm yesterday, not a hit. Didn't see anyone else down through sailer bar.

Caught a few below second boatlaunch at Sunrise. Evening bite was good on small shad dart.

Intimidator
07-13-2005, 06:32 AM
Upper Sunrise.........still plenty in there.

kingcole
07-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Should still be plenty of fish up at Sailor Bar. You should have kept fishing sailor bar past 6:30. The evening bite is top notch 8:00 - 9:00 should be nails

fisheone
07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Where are the good places to fish and park for shore access at upper Sunrise and Sailor Bar?

sigmapirockstar
07-13-2005, 12:17 PM
When do the shad finish running?

kingcole
07-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Where are the good places to fish and park for shore access at upper Sunrise and Sailor Bar?

Easiest and safest is to park in the hatchery parking lot and then a short walk to the river from the end of the parking lot.

The north side is good fishing and the place you want if you are fly fishing or wnat to wade. Both sided will get you bit and bit often. The north parking is not paved and a better chance of getting your car broken into.

Jeff

Paddleman
07-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Fished for a short while on Tuesday evening with lady paddleman. Couple of boats out along with some wader fisher folks. *Fished the upper sunrise area. Saw Intimadator and friend Eric out also. *Bite was good for the time out there. (6:30 to 8:30pm). Warm out. Not much breeze. I was hoping for a little cool off near the water. Water is nice and cool though. *Several fish caught. 1/8 oz white and yellow jig. Several of the females we caught have spawned out. *Hope they stick around for a while longer. *Several casts produced two and three bites. Nice to see you out on the water Intimidator. *

Intimidator
07-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Yes it was nice to see you again to my man.
Heading back out there Thursday night.

shadmaster
07-14-2005, 05:40 PM
WENT TO THE DAM FOR MY FINAL TRIP OF THE YEAR. HAD 29 ON LANDED 20. DIDNT DO THAT WELL THIS YEAR. MAYBE IT WAS THE HIGH FLOWS OR MAYBE IM JUST GETTING TO OLD. O-WELL IT WAS NICE TALKING WITH YOU BOYS THIS YEAR. TALK WITH YOU NEXT YEAR.

P.S. MIKE22 THANKS AGAIN FOR HELPING US WITH YOUR NET.

mike22ca
07-14-2005, 06:23 PM
NP shadmaster...I was hoping to see that salmon landed! Yea, I'm down with shad myself this year. I've definitly caught my share...and I've moved onto the bigger better things (salmon) ;D

fishwitch
07-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Enjoyed your posts SHADMASTER we will talk next year.Take care of your back.

kingcole
07-15-2005, 10:46 AM
:'(

Well it looks Like next Tuesday will be my last Shad trip of the year. *Hoping there will still be plenty of fish to catch. *I plan on fishing Sailor Bar Tuesday evening if anyone wants to join me. *I'll have my smart cast to help locate the pods incase fishing is tough.

It has beena *good shad run in 05 and I appreciate all the comments and help everyone has given me and others. *I went from a Shad caster in 03 to a shad fisher in a year and a half and it was all from the tips I got right here from the posters.

Big thanks to Shadmaster, you really helped me out last year and got me catching fish at the end of the 04 run and this year everything came together and I got it. *Mike22, Paddleman, pimpinmeat, Mike K, Bob Sparre... and a few others thanks for the banter, tips and info. *I look forward to the 06 *run and hope to fish with several of you.

Next mission pick up salmon fishing like I did the Shad!

I'll be asking lots of questions guys bear with me, by 06 I will be comfortable witht he salmon too.

Intimidator
07-15-2005, 04:30 PM
I thinking i should get out of this heat in EG and head up to upper Sunrise for a little Shad.
Anybody else heading out there?

Paddleman
07-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Fished solo friday evening. Counted six boats out at upper sunrise. Several folks out trying to cool off by the waters edge. Suprised to see guide sparre out the evening before the salmon river opener. Shad are still there as catching and releasing was quite frequent. Hotter than a pistol out there. No breeze. Saw a couple of interesting views in a couple of rafts pass by. ;D ;) That is all to report from my end. Every female shad caught this trip also had spawned out.

kingcole
07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
I am going to make a trip Tuesday evening. I plan to fish Sailor Bar, most likely the northside so I can get in the water and stay cool!

IM me if you want to meet up. I'll get up there about 6:30ish...

fisheone
07-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Fished below second Sunrise boat launch last night. Fish are still there. Had about 11 or so hook-ups from sundown. Landed 9. Used small shad-dart, chartreuse head. Down there small size is important as the water is clear and shallow.

If anyone knows of a more productive spot let me know.

hoghunter3
07-20-2005, 06:44 AM
Made another run to the American with the "Shadmaster" Paddleman. Boy, did he get us over the fish last night!!!
I honestly don't know how many we caught but the action was pretty much non-stop between 7:30PM and 9:00PM. At one point I had a run of 5 casts = 5 fish boated. It was truly one of the evenings that makes Shad fishing so special.
Caught all my fish on one of Paddleman's custom made jigs in White and Yellow.
We also ran into Intimidator and his buddy out on the water (I have to admit that the "Old Men" gave them a fishing lesson last night ;))

Now for the pictures.....

Intimadator and his partner

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1948.JPG

Paddleman with a battle on his hands

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1947.JPG

Paddleman with another nice one

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1946.JPG

Me with a nice female.....

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/medium/100_1945.JPG

Thanks for the great evening on the water, Paddleman.....

Hope the run last for another week of so....Love to sneak in one more trip...

Paddleman
07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
What can I say. Non-stop action. Here we are the end of July and they just keep biting. *As Hoghunter stated the action was great. Company was great and the change in the delta breeze coming up into this area was great. Temps still into the high 90's but a little air on the water makes a huge difference.
Now to the action. *We must of caught between 30-40 fish. Of those the hoghunter was on fire landing about 70% of them. *Does not take him long to catch on to a method of fishing. *Hard to beat these hard fighting 2.5 to 4 lb fish in pound for pound battles. *There were a few folks out on the water. Intimidator and buddy were at it again. Along with several wader folks. *
I think the hoghunter has set a new record for catching the most fish with the same dart. *He has used the same one now for the last two trips with out losing it. This one dart alone has now fooled a whole bunch of fish. Just goes to show you, does not have to be a nice new dart to make these fish bite. This dart he used is all beat to heck, with just enough white and yellow paint left and neon tail to trigger them to chomp down.
Fun time had by these two sniffers on the water this evening. *

Intimidator
07-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks for that you guys.
Great to see both of you guys out there.

Paddleman
07-21-2005, 07:46 AM
Fished with drift wizzard last night. Saw hundres of fish (shad) moving in the river. Last few times out the females were spawned out. Last night a new school must have moved in. All fish looked fresh and full of eggs. This could go on for a while longer. :) We boated several fish as the action was non-stop the last few hours of the evening. More folks rafting and swiming then fishing last night. Flows are the same. Same technique as in earlier posts.

kingcole
07-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Had to miss my Tuesday trip so going this weekend.

Very glad to hear the run is stretching further, this is truly great news for us shad nuts. It's really mid to late July right?

Friday evening or Saturday morning I'll be hitting Sailor Bar.

Cole

kingcole
07-21-2005, 12:24 PM
I was checking out the state records from my home state North Carolina and saw this little gem. I had never heard of Shad fishing until I moved here. That sparked me to locate the CA record and BAM another 7 pounder!

American Shad - NC
7 lbs 15 oz
Tar River
4/10/74
By R.S. Proctor
Shad dart

American Shad* - CA
Craig Stillwell*
7*lb. 5*oz.*
5/9/85*
Feather River

:o

sigmapirockstar
07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Just in case anyone is wondering, the shad are still running.

kingcole
07-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Had to be out of town for a few days for a death inthe family. So I missed my shad trip last week.

Need some input are they still around if so where are you catching them. I'd love to get one more fix in before it dies out. Is it really the end of July.

Love those heavy flows early if it means great shad for 3 months!

fisheone
07-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Kingcole,

I went out yesterday evening, thought I'd give it one last shot. Went to usual spot down by second sunrise boat launch. I didn't get any, not a hit. There was also another older fellow who pretty much fishes there almost every evening and always picks up quite a few. He wasn't even getting any. He also said a friend of his who fishes there frequently also didn't get anything the evening before. The older fellow said that the last time he fished there was Monday and picked up 12. There were a number of people fishing the general area and I didn't see any caught. At least in that area looks like they've packed it in.

e_dales
07-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Kingcole,

There are still a lot of shad in the upper section of the American just below Salor Bar past the island. The fish are feeding between 7:00-dark. Some of the females we have been catching are still full of eggs and when you bring them up there are usually about 10 fish swimming with them. Where there's 10 there's 100. With the water temp. still some what cold for this time of year I think the shad are staying a bit longer. When I go out and only catch 10 I will call it a year. The Paddleman and I might pull some plugs and bounce roe in the morning Sat. or Sun for SALMON early in the morning,then do a little shad fishing.

kingcole
07-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Very good to hear Drift. I am tight on passes from the wife right now, Fishing and poker tend to eat the free passes up! I've been a good boy lately!

I am going to try and squeak out a trip this Weekend.

IM me with your cell and I may call you on the way to see if you got out and where the shad are.

drstressor
08-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm going to un-sticky this thread and let it float.

The shad season is about over. But if anybody wants to keep posting and bring this back to the top, that would be fine.

Doc

Pimpinmeat
08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I had to change some travel plans today and had a few hours to to kill so I went fishing. Started at the Basin, fishing for salmon, saw quite a few shad around. I saw a couple caught by guys throwing beads. I left my shad flies at home otherwise I would've given it a shot. I think if you went out in the evening you might get a few still.