PDA

View Full Version : Scotts Flat Reservoir

dirtydan
07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
I'm taking my boys for a father-son camping trip this weekend to Scotts Valley Reservoir. We're going to do some fishing while there - you can rent aluminum boats w/ outboards reltively cheap.

Any advice on what to fish for, what to use, and where?

Thanks.
-DD

dirtydan
07-24-2005, 07:02 PM
Well:

Went camping with my boys there this weekend. Lots of ski boats (no PWC's allowed) - reservoir's not too big. Water was warm - above 80 - daytime bite was non-existent. Some small mouth in the AM and some cats when the moon was up.

Nice camping spot - but the fishing $tinks (IMO) :-/

-DD

Diego916
07-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the report. Better luck next time ;)

Hooky_Time
07-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Upper Scott's Flat Reservoir has very good fishing this time of year but you really need to have a boat to get to them. The smallmouths and cats mentioned above can be caught early and late from shore but everything pretty much goes deep during the day. Smallmouths and largemouths can be caught along dropoffs in 25 feet of water this time of year. Kokes and rainbows can be caught trolling the depths by the dam with downriggers and nice browns can be caught trolling rainbow pattern rapalas just underneath the kokes. My children's preference is to go into the inlet area and catch bluegills by the hundreds. I'm okay with this because it's shady and cool in that canyon on a hot afternoon ;D. Good Luck!