PDA

View Full Version : cannon digi-troll voltage

somebody
07-27-2005, 10:19 AM
i have a cannon digi-troll with positive ion controll and the least voltage i can get with two different volt meters is .38-.44 volts. this turned all the way down. this is a new unit. i am told .5 volts is max or optimum. if i had 2 of these i would be looking @ .76-.88 volts. the woman @cabellas said it should turn down to .02 volts. should i return it and get another? , or try and add another reostat?

metalmouth
07-27-2005, 10:36 AM
The manual states that in fresh water with the Positive Ion control cable unpluged that should probably be you reading. *If you dial up current does your reading change? The set screw must be in contact with the cable and they may have missed at the factory or when the cable was changed. I would check the set screw listed in your manual before heading in another direction. The cannon tech's are very helpful and can be reached at 208.846.9000. You will have to leave a message, but they are good at calling back.
After TR1-Gold Autopilot they are the most useful thing on the boat when connected to a transducer. ;)
Note: Having two or four should not double or quadruple your reading as they are insulated from one another.

metalmouth
07-27-2005, 11:02 AM
After looking at the manual the unit applies a positive variable from .2 to 1.2 volts. It does not apply a negative ion source so it probably won't reduce what is the natural volts of fresh water. In other words it is made to increase the volts over the natural load.

somebody
07-27-2005, 11:03 AM
thank you for the information and yes the voltage goes to 1.5 wide open or rather turned all the way up. i would think the water in general would be charged in a radiating circle doubliing the voltage in the area. i will call canon today.

somebody
07-27-2005, 11:06 AM
i dont think i got a manual at least i dont remember seeing it. i am talking tahoe

metalmouth
07-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Somebody, check your P.M.s

somebody
07-28-2005, 06:42 AM
what is a PMs

somebody
07-28-2005, 11:21 AM
I talked to duane @cannon in idaho and the voltage turned down is .2 and wide open 1.2. because of minerals in the water it will increase the voltage which explains my reading of .38-.44 minimum. the electric should radiate 6-8 feet from the downrigger cable. he had no info on the voltage at different depths because of voltage loss and did not have any formulas to figure it. the voltage is where the factory sets it? i hope this helps.

metalmouth
07-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Thanks, that is what I was thinking. That is how most of the black boxes work as well you start out with the natural load of the cable and fresh water and then use your meter to reach your optimum load for the fish you are after. I have found by trial and error that even the Kokes seem to like just over 50% dial up. Should be higher than recommended but that's where I'm hitting the most fish. ;)