PDA

View Full Version : mendocino lake fishing

divndc
07-18-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm heading to lake Mendocino this weekend, any one have any suggestions for some good fishing?

panfish_popper
07-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Im not sure what your fishing. But if your fishing for stripers then look for them boiling. I heard there going crazy down there right now.

divndc
07-18-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm fishing for anything that bites ;)

catfished
07-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Hit it at daybreak, the stripers have been boiling for the first hour or two after daylight. This is what a few people have been saying on my forums. Hair Raisers have been the lure of choice.

LingSlayer
07-19-2005, 09:05 AM
Do you have a boat?

If so, get there before sunlight and look for the boils. I use binoculars. Gun it and start tossing hair razers once you are there.

If you are fishing from the bank, walk across the dam and try the deep end on the south side for striper. Another fun one is going to the channel (north side) and catfishing at night. Just bring worms, beer, friends, and firewood ;)

Good luck,
D

divndc
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
We'll be camping with a bunch of leisure boaters and I don't think they are going to be up before sunrise, but I usually am. I have a Ocean Kayak that I'll probably get out there with, stripers should be fun off the kayak. Can you use hair raisers from the bank as well?
Thanks for the tips,

divndc

Flipper266
07-19-2005, 01:26 PM
D,
Hairraisers from the bank will work if the boil is close enough. Get that yak out there! Ive fished my yak in there and have had a great time. There are a lot of bass in there and panfish. But be on the lake early and off early on your yak. The boaters get wild in the afternoon heat.
Stop at Diamond Jims in Ukiah, the guys there will tell you whats hot at the lake.

catfished
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
There have been quite a few kayakers catching stripers at Mendocino lately. Here's a photo of one of them from my forum:

http://www.catfished.com/onesam.jpg

Rock_Hopper
07-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Go to http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/bb/index.php

Check out the message boards there. Go to the "Reports" board and look up some of Scwafish's reports. Him and his son SLAY the stripers up there from the yak.

Good Luck!

kayakkid
07-20-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't know if you can fish at night on mendo, but at hogan I fish under lights and it can be some wild action. Hope to see you on the norcal yak board.

-kayakkid aka Brian G

divndc
07-20-2005, 09:54 AM
You guys are getting me so excited I can hardly wait to get on the water Saturday morning. Thanks for all the great information and suggestions. I'll let you know how I did when I get back.
BTW, there was some mention about Hair Raisers... which color works best. I heard either white or yellow. Any truth to that?

Thanks again,

George,
A.K.A: DIVNDC

Flipper266
07-20-2005, 10:40 AM
They say white......

divndc
07-25-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, no fish to report from this weekend at Mendo for the stripers, but caught a good buzzzzzzzzz