PDA

View Full Version : Portable Fish Finders

Pimpinmeat
07-22-2005, 07:00 AM
I donít usually by gimmicky crap but I need to get a fish finder for my float tube. I need light portability, good reliability, and it needs to be some what small. I like the Fishin Buddy but itís bulky and I have a Fish Cat that doesnít have a whole lot of room. I saw this Hawkeye Portable Fish Finder in Cabelas and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this. Are there any good portables besides the Fishin Buddy. Any suggestionís are greatly appreciated. ??? ??? ???

kingcole
07-22-2005, 08:13 AM
I have a smartcast and it works really well. It might be the ticket for you . You could simply attach the float on a line and drag it BUT you could also attach it to a rod and cast out. They have wristwatch version, one that conntects to your rod and larger unit that would suit your needs best and is the one I have.

Down side to smart cast is the little transponder is sealed and they run on a sealed battery and last about 400 hours. It is water activated so your 400 hours are in water hours, so if not in use you don't want to drag it along. Each one is $20.

The large unit that I have is on sale at bps for $90, they have an upgraded version that has more range and water temp, but it is surface temp so kind of a non factor.

http://www.humminbird.com/products.asp?ID=389#Features

The_Big_Sinus
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I use the fishin' buddy with a little cloth holster... Sorry I can't offer you better advice.

metalmouth
07-22-2005, 12:57 PM
I used the fishin buddy II for years on my kick boat and tubes. Any of the small portable lowrances or humminbirds are superior. It is almost impossibe to get an acurate read on anything but depth with the fishin buddy. Most of the small fishfinders have pole mount transducers, which can be used in conjunction with sinus's strap mount fishin buddy holder.