PDA

View Full Version : Carp Help!

timored105
07-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Can anybody please tell me a really good rig i can use to catch big carp on a deep river. What hooks bait and weight number. Any help would be great. thank you all. Ill tell you how it went when i go.

surfnturf
07-06-2005, 11:20 PM
The speed of the river all depends on what rig to use. If the river is stagnant or very slow I would just use a 1/8 sliding sinker, size 12 snap swivel and 1 foot leader with corn or bread as the bait. If the river is fast you will need more weight and a different rig that I have no experience with. Be sure to use stout rod and line for big carp. I hauled in one over 20lbs in a local reservoir with wood in the water in the shoreline, almost netted him after an epic 15 minute fight only to watch helplessly as my cheap 10lb mono took a rub on a branch and broke. Many are having luck with the new braided lines, maybe try one of them.

timored105
07-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Thank You very much SURFNTURF. I learned a lot. Iam only 14 so iam trying to learn while iam young. If there is anything SURFNTURF missed, please add on. It will be helpful. Thank You all. :) ;)

FRIDAY
07-07-2005, 05:43 AM
Ditto on what surfnturf said

But in a fast moving river stick with a sliding sinker and a pole with a very sensitive tip because carp bite really soft. Also, if the bread or dough bait wont stay on in the current try crawdad tails, I know some people who have had good success with them on the river. :)

FRIDAY

surfnturf
07-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Thank You very much SURFNTURF. I learned a lot. Iam only 14 so iam trying to learn while iam young. If there is anything SURFNTURF missed, please add on. It will be helpful. Thank You all. *:) ;)

No problem. I'm only 18 myself, and I got my first introduction to catching bigger (over 5lbs or so) fish with carp at around your age. Which river are you fishing by the way? Also, carp can be found in a variety of odd places, one of my favorite spots is a golf course water hazard. On sucessive days I caught 18 fish in 3 hours and the next day 12 fish in an hour and a half. That's not counting about 5-10 missed strikes each time too.

catfished
07-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi timored105,

I also would like to know where you're fishing. If you're in the Sacramento area you might want to join us this Saturday for our monthly NorCalCarpClub.com derby (http://norcalcarpclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=149.0) at Ellis Lake in Marysville. There's no entry fees or any other costs. We just catch & release carp and have fun. Click on the link above for all the details and a map.

daystarchis
07-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Man catfished... I wish I lived up there with ya'll! Sound like fun.

Robb

trout_man
07-08-2005, 01:37 PM
corn....if doughballs aren't staying, use corn. that always works.

The_Talis
07-08-2005, 02:08 PM
On some lakes I'd use whole kernel corn on a sliding sinker rig. Caught a 25 lber that way. But I don't know how it would work on a river...

surfnturf
07-08-2005, 03:46 PM
On some lakes I'd use whole kernel corn on a sliding sinker rig. *Caught a 25 lber that way. *But I don't know how it would work on a river...

This is true, big carp seem to like corn over dough. I caught a monster (probably around 30) on corn. I've gotta go back there soon with a better scale a decent camera.

timored105
07-08-2005, 04:55 PM
I wish i lived in California. No i live Oregon. I am gonna fish Willamette River. Iam fishing for catch and release. Do u know any Oregon groups free admision carp parties.
Thank you for the invitation though.

catfished
07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Ok timored105,

Good luck on the Williamette. The only carp clubs that I'm aware of on the west coast are the Socalcarpclub (http://www.socalcarpclub.com/forum) and the Norcalcarpclub (http://www.norcalcarpclub.com/forum). There is a national carp fishing group named Carp Anglers Group (http://www.carpanglersgroup.com), they have a very helpful website and an active forum.

timored105
07-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Tank You very much for your help. Very glad there are anglers wiling to help. Thank You All. :)

Wolf74
07-18-2005, 02:02 AM
Corn always worked for me. It was either that, or I'd buy a loaf of french bread and use the soft dough insides for bait.

timored105
07-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Guys can u please write down your favorite recipes for the Carp bait in here. I am thinkin of going this week sometime but i need recipes. Any help would be helpful. Thank All. :)

Striperman
07-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Go back through the carp thread thats already started. Ive posted a lot of stuff on there. My bait recipy is on there also.

Striperman

redherring
07-20-2005, 01:22 PM
I remember using Cornflakes, which worked pretty well. Just put some in your hand add a bit of water and roll into small doughballs. Just apply these to your hook....Fairly cheap too for a box of generic cornflakes...