PDA

View Full Version : catching panfish in the delta

Smeja
10-12-2005, 06:29 PM
how in the world do i catch a bluegil in the delta? i'd like to use them for striper bait but dont have a clue how to catch one in those waters. Anywhere from discovery to freeport to the deep water channel would be nice. Any tips?

MB_Kevin
10-12-2005, 08:54 PM
I have never done it but I know many here do. I think I heard something about rocky areas. probably where the water is a little more mellow. Thats just what I would think but not sure. I'm sure others will post up how to do it. good luck. maybe PP will find out for you. ;)

fishrman4life
10-12-2005, 11:23 PM
discovery is a pretty warm area, i always hear about cats coming out of there....i would say give it a shot, if there's a slow area with weeds on it, that would be an excellent place to try

innovate
10-13-2005, 08:55 AM
Channels frequent Discovery Park due to the natural bottom structure created by the two bodies of water meeting. Careful inspection of the bottom conour lines at the mouth of the American will show drop-offs and adjacent flats. Good for Channels.

There ARE bluegill in the American and Sacramento Rivers on the banks. There isnt much size to them, but they are there.

The American up by Power Inn is a good choice in the Summer. Last summer I noticed a school of them swimming around in an eddy while I was tossing out topwater for stripers. Go get em'

later,
Roland

wading2fish
10-13-2005, 05:25 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/523/deltatrip00329ht8ll.jpg

I caught this guy and about thirty others that day up in the Delta. My setup was: 5' 6" trout pole 6lb line. Size 8 salmon egg hook tied directly to main line and split shot about two ft up. I used a three incher to catch a striper that went 22".

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7981/striper0km.jpg

BTW, bluegills are almost the only bait I use for stripers up in the Delta. They're deadly for catching stripers up there.

Good luck!

w2f

Mr._Pole_Pack
10-15-2005, 09:57 AM
On a tip from a bait shop I tried using live Bluegills for Stripers with no luck. I hooked in behind the dorsal fin on a sliding sinker, live bait setup. Did I use the wrong setup or fish the wrong spot? Maybe both. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

wading2fish
10-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Mr pole pack,

Don't give up on a bait because you were skunked. I don't catch stripers on live bluegills every time out, but they are the most productive striper bait for me in the Delta.

Keep at it and you'll get into em. the setup you described sounds good to me, you just have to be a little persistent and a little lucky too.

good luck

w2f

Smeja
10-17-2005, 02:20 AM
how do you guys hook the bluegil that you catch when fishing for stripers?

wading2fish
10-17-2005, 02:56 AM
I use a sliding sinker set up with a 30lb test leader 36" long and a 4/0-8/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook, hook size is determined by size of bait. I punch the point of the hook thru the flesh just behind the dorsal fin. This allows the bluegill to remain alive for awhile and swim around freely. If you have a liveliner type of reel use it, if not, remember to loosen the drag as stripers like to mouth the bait and make a run or two with it before swallowing it.

w2f

Know_Excuses
10-17-2005, 08:45 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question.I see people use blue gill but does anyone use crappie or is that illegal?I have always used store bought bait but I'm thinking of changing up this year.

Fishmom
10-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Bluegill will hit crappie jigs readily, or small hooks baited with red worms or similar baits. Protected areas, such as next to docks, adjacent to rocky levees are ideal. Dropping a jig down into a hole in floating weeds works too. Haven't tried a Sabiki myself, but I don't see why that wouldn't work also. Good luck!

wading2fish
10-18-2005, 04:33 AM
Sorry if this is a dumb question.I see people use blue gill but does anyone use crappie or is that illegal?I have always used store bought bait but I'm thinking of changing up this year.

Bluegill is my hands down most productive striper bait in the Delta. They are also good eating, so I always keep the two or four biggest ones I catch for dinner and use the smaller ones for bait. Crappie are just so good eating, even better than bluegill, that I don't even use em as bait. But, I do believe they are legal as a bait only in the Delta as described in the regs. Make sure to check the regs if you plan to catch your own live bait fish. The DFG has complicated regs and they differ for all the different regions in California.

w2f

deltalover
10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Last weekend I was fishng between "Windmill Cove" and "Tiki Lagoon" from the bank and the sherrif in a boat was checking license, he said he had seen only one striper caught that day around 24 inches (I didnt catch any keepers). He said that most of the stripers he has seen in the past, were caught on bluegill!

wading2fish
10-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Last weekend I was fishng between "Windmill Cove" and "Tiki Lagoon" from the bank and the sherrif in a boat was checking license, he said he had seen only one striper caught that day around 24 inches (I didnt catch any keepers). He said that most of the stripers he has seen in the past, were caught on bluegill!

I totally agree with that sheriff's statement. 99% of the keeper stripers I have caught in the Delta have come off of live bluegills. Stripers love em. The other 1% have come off other baits like clams and anchovies. I have not tried mudsuckers and I know alot of guys do good with them. I prefer bluegills, they're free, fun to catch and work extremely good.

w2f

Know_Excuses
10-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Bluegill is my hands down most productive striper bait in the Delta. They are also good eating, so I always keep the two or four biggest ones I catch for dinner and use the smaller ones for bait. Crappie are just so good eating, even better than bluegill, that I don't even use em as bait. But, I do believe they are legal as a bait only in the Delta as described in the regs. Make sure to check the regs if you plan to catch your own live bait fish. The DFG has complicated regs and they differ for all the different regions in California.

w2f

Thanks w2f!
I have my boat in a dock in minor slough and I can actually see the little guys cruising the docks.Unfortunatly works owns me at the moment and I wont be able ot get out untill the mid of november.But I am leaving a day early and I am gonna spend it on the dock trying to catch some blue gills and even some crappie for dinner that night.I'll post results and pics when I finally get out there.

wading2fish
10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
Know excuses,
Those panfish are cruising the docks because they're hiding from predators like stripers. Beside keeping a few for dinner, don't hesitate to attach one to your striper pole and throw it out into deeper water. Sooner or later you'll have yourself a nice keeper striper ;). I'll look forward to your report and pics.

Good luck!

w2f

Know_Excuses
10-18-2005, 05:28 PM
SWEET!!I will definetly do that.These forums and the guys and girls on it are just awesome!!
Thanks again w2f

Smeja
10-21-2005, 02:58 AM
fished millerpark today. i got bored with TRYING to catch salmon. So I put a warm and half oz weight on. Casted out just to see what might hit. I figured I'd get some of those 8-12'' catfish I always catch there. i have caught a lot and i mean a lot of those at miller park but never any cats with size.

my pole went down. I pulled back and nothing. then it went down again and i pulled back and nothing. i decided to reel in. it appeared the fish was swimming towards me. i thought boy this doesnt happen much with catfish. but you know what it does happen a lot with? Bluegil. yep it was a bluegil. Pretty big one. I'd say just under a pound maybe a pound I dont know I dont judge the weight on too many of those things that often.

Cut it up and tried using it as bait (I'm sure a live smaller bluegil would work better but thats all i had). Didnt catch anything just left it there about 20 mins and reeled in. Caught a few 10-12'' cats and left.

wading2fish
10-21-2005, 11:46 AM
I know this might sound strange to you because that bluegill had decent size to it, but next time use the WHOLE bluegill as live bait. Stripers and cats have huge mouths and will devour fish of good size. I have even released some sizeable gills from my hooks prior to going home and they just swim off.

w2f

Smeja
10-22-2005, 05:13 PM
W2F,
your right that does sound strange to me but most of the best ideas do at first. i'll try it out next time and see what happens. thanks for the tip!

Allen
12-01-2005, 07:44 PM
Wading

What bait do you use on that #8 egg hook to catch the blue gills?

I caught a 30" striper trolling for salmon last fall, and when we got it home and cleaned it up I found 2 8" panfish in it's belly. Never knew they would eat them, let alone panfish were in the delta!

Thanks

Allen

wading2fish
12-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Oh yeah, plenty of panfish in th Delta. Nice size tasty bluegill all over the Delta. I use meal worms, wax worms, or red worms for bait. When you find em you can't keep em off your hook and they make excellent striper bait as well as table fare. Big cats also like em.

w2f

Diego916
12-19-2005, 02:54 PM
When the water cools off in late fall and winter, fish for gills in rock piles. They like to hang out in and among the rocks, usually alone or in loose groups. In late spring and early summer, look for gills on their spawning beds. Summer and fall you can find schools of gills all over the place and anywhere there's cover; docks, submerged trees and branches, etc.