PDA

View Full Version : where is everybody?

Mad_Russian
08-13-2005, 10:00 PM
everybody gone fishing and nobody posts anything anymore? looks like last post was August 12th

JIM_D.
08-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Is that why your Mad, LOL, Really, everyone is Salmon fishing. Therefor no posts for panfish. JIM D.

panfish_popper
08-14-2005, 07:44 PM
The Panifsh Board used to be like that back then, no posts for a couple of days...Now theres usually a post everyday.

Mad_Russian
08-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I guess everybody is still salmon fishing eh

panfish_popper
08-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Its been slow. C'mon where is the Panfish Posse? ;D

wading2fish
09-08-2005, 06:28 PM
OK, I'll throw in my .02 here and post a pic of one of the larger bluegills I caught near Middle River on Hwy 4 on Sunday 9/4/05. The bluegill bite that day was off the hook all day! I baited a three inch bluegill on my striper pole and landed a nice little 22" striper with it 8). All together I caught about 25 bluegills, I kept the four biggest ones and used a few for bait and threw the rest back.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/5561/deltatrip00323qm.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5299/deltatrip00227ve.jpg

Trout_Terminator
09-11-2005, 09:38 AM
How do you use live bluegill for stripers?

panfish_popper
09-11-2005, 10:24 AM
You do know its illegal to use live bluegills, right?

derbingel
09-11-2005, 10:49 AM
It was formerly perfectly legal to use them as live bait in the past within the Delta region, but I was informed DFG changed the live bait regulations.

Back in the 60s, we would catch small bluegills in Franks Tract, then hook them right behind the dorsal fin... roughly 3' under a large bobber.

Killer live bait for Striped Bass, Largemouth Bass, and all species of catfish! ;D

derbingel
09-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Out of curiosity, I checked out the regulations at www.dfg.ca.gov

Click on Freshwater Fishing Regulations.

It is listed in Article 3, section 4.05 and 4.20 of the Bait Regulations for Inland Waters.

wading2fish
09-11-2005, 01:50 PM
I have read the regulations that pertain to the area where I use bluegills for bait.

Section 4.20, paragraph d, as far as I understand it clearly states finfish may be used as bait in the water where it was taken.

If anybody else has read that section and disagrees with me please post and explain to me why.

w2f

Panfish Popper
Fish Sniffer Moderator
Fish Sniffer Big Kahuna

Berryessa fish landed in 2005: 158

View Profile | WWW | Email | Instant Message

Re: where is everybody?
ę Reply #7 on: Today at 11:24 Ľ Quote | Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do know its illegal to use live bluegills, right?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trout_Terminator
09-11-2005, 02:52 PM
what if the gill was caught in the same river, but in a diffrent spot?

wading2fish
09-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Trout Terminator,
First off, I have read the regs for the area I use bgills for bait and as far as I understand it is legal to use em as bait. It's the same regs that allows the guys that use squaws for bait up in the American below Nimbus Dam.

To answer your questions:

1. When using bgill for bait I like to use a 36-42" 30lb test leader on a sliding sinker rig. I take a 4/0-8/0 Gami Octopus hook and hook the bgill just behind the dorsal fin. This allows the bgill to swim freely and stay alive awhile.

2. As I understand the regs, you may use the fish for bait in the water it was taken from. My interpretation of that is if I wanted to take my bgill and walk down river with it and fish down there it is fine. What I can't do is get in my car, drive to another river and use it as bait over there.

I understand bluegills, in most parts of the state, cannot be used as bait. Maybe this is why alot of guys read my posts and immediately assume what I'm doing is illegal ???. The DFG has different regulations for just about every region in California, and they all differ a little. You have to read them very carefully and pay close attention to the region of state you are fishing in because what is legal in one region may well be illegal in another region.

Like I said before, I have read the regs carefully for that region of the Delta where I use bgills for bait. It clearly states that finfish, with the exception of trout and salmon, MAY be used as bait in the water it was taken from. Again if anyone has read that section of the regs and disagrees with me please post up and explain why. If I am doing something illegally it is completely unintentional and I would like to be corrected.

w2f

JIM_D.
09-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I don't believe you are doing anything wrong as long as you don't transport them, they must be used in the water they were caught. JIM D.

wading2fish
09-11-2005, 06:28 PM
I agree with you Jim_D. I read the regs and interpret them the best I can. I am open minded though, so if anyone has any other input I'm willing to listen.

w2f

GT
09-12-2005, 06:56 AM
I agree with you W2F. I interpreted the regulations exactly the way you did. Iíll ask a Fish and Game Official on another board to see his take but Iím pretty sure the use of blue gill in the area your fishing is legal as stated in section 4.20 paragraph d.

wading2fish
09-12-2005, 11:07 AM
yeah GT, let me know what the DFG official has to say about this. I have posted similar posts on other fishing websites and it always seems to stir up some kind of debate.

w2f

derbingel
09-17-2005, 11:54 AM
You certainly would not use a live 12"+ largemouth bass or 18"+ striped bass for bait, and definitely neither one under the size limit would be legal, although paragraph d in section 4.20 doesn't indicate size distinction for any fin fish. In general, game fish are not normally used for bait, live, or dead.

There is no size limitation for bluegills, yet, they are a game fish, as listed in the DFG sunfish description.

You could be correct about the legality of using them for live bait in the area where you were fishing, but regulations can be misleading and easily misconstrued.

Take, for example, the use of live goldfish for bait. It is illegal to use anywhwere in California, yet, section 4.20, paragraph d, indicates you could use them, if caught in that area. People have been discarding pet goldfish in the Delta for many years, so it is possible to catch one in the area, especially since they can live to be 100 years old.

Carp are part of the goldfish family, but they are a non-game fish, and it is prefectly legal to use carp fry, which look exactly like small goldfish, as live bait in Clear Lake.

Regardless, the only way to confirm if bluegills are legal to use as live bait in that area is to contact DFG, and, if possible, have them send you written documentation indicating you can do so.

wading2fish
09-17-2005, 03:37 PM
You're right, you make some good points that I agree with. The DFG regs can be vague and kryptic. I have tried to contact the DFG thru email. I sent them an email regarding the legality of using bluegill as bait, about two weeks ago and they have yet to respond. I might have to call them :-/

w2f

Diego916
09-17-2005, 04:25 PM
I've already researched this. You can use live or dead sunfish for bait, unless otherwise noted, from the waters they are taken from.

Bluegill are sunfish. Therefore, they can be used as bait!

;D

wading2fish
09-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, you're right on the money D916. It's just that the regs are so vague and kryptic they are often confusing. But where I use gills for bait it is perfectly legal. That's the key though, location, because in some areas it is not legal.

w2f

derbingel
09-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Wish it was legal to use them here in Clear Lake.

They are killer live bait 3' under a bobber for large channel cats and big bass!

I've seen fishermen in Cache Creek catching small 3-4" bluegills, then hook them right behind the dorsal fin with a 2/0 hook and throw it out among the reeds.

Soon the bobber disappears and fun, fun, fun! ;D

They know it is illegal, but they simply can't bear paying $12.50 for a dozen live jumbo minnows... ::)

wading2fish
09-18-2005, 12:00 PM
That's too bad on the illegal activity. You know, it is legal to use em in the Sacto River below the Hwy 32 bridge all the way down to the Delta. I would rather drive to the Sacto than to do something illegal in Cache Creek.

You're right derbingle, they do make great bait for big cats as well as for stripers. I'm still waiting to catch me a monster cat with em in the Delta, so far I have just caught stripers with them.

You should call DFG if you witness illegal activities.

w2f

derbingel
09-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I have informed them in the past, but the response is we have 68 square miles of surface water to cover here on Clear Lake and it unlikely they could get there in time to catch them in the act, unless they were in the immediate area when I called.

Regardless, I still contact them, in one form, or another, when I see it...

Boy, was I incorrect about using carp fry legally for live bait here in Clear Lake! :P Nothing like sticking my foot in my mouth...

I was told that information by a local lake guide here just last week, so I ASSUMED he was telling me a fact, especially since he emphasized he had an argument with the local warden and proved it was legal to use them as live bait.

Here is Section 4.25 *Bait Fish Use in the Northern Central District

Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Northern Central District:
(a) Golden shiner, flathead minnow, red shiner, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker and staghorn sculpin may be used in Napa and Sonoma counties, in Marin County - except for Stafford Lake, in Lake County - except for the Eel River and it's tributaries, and Lake Mendocino (Mendocino County).
(b) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside minnow and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.

It has long been a misconception most non-game fish can be used as live, or dead bait. Some non-game species are now protected here in Clear Lake, so, if in doubt, check the regs.

wading2fish
09-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Paragraph a lists six fish that may be used as live bait, do any of those exist in Clearlake? If they do I would suggest using those as live bait. I'm a firm beleiver that the best bait is live bait that is naturally occuring in the waters you are fishing, all within the law of course.

w2f

derbingel
09-18-2005, 09:20 PM
Paragraph a lists six fish that may be used as live bait, do any of those exist in Clearlake? If they do I would suggest using those as live bait. I'm a firm beleiver that the best bait is live bait that is naturally occuring in the waters you are fishing, all within the law of course.

w2f

I've only seen threadfin shad and silverside minnows in the south end of the lake that I can identify, and I know they are introduced species. Some local bait shops sell golden shiner, but I've never seen them wild in the lake.

As for the others... that is a good question.