PDA

View Full Version : Low Volume

HHEVISHOT5
02-28-2010, 08:27 AM
I got a 45 raymarine with a 5399 galaxy ant.
I've checked and cleaned all connections, but still have very low volume reception. Any suggestions..

ReelJerks
03-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Two things...
If you're using an external speaker make sure the green and yellow wires are correctly connected. Green is - and yellow is +.

Do you have volume control at all?

Edd

HHEVISHOT5
03-01-2010, 12:23 PM
No external speaker, just the one in radio. Yes volume control works. Turn on, as I increase the volume to full, it only give me low reception, you have to get close to speaker to hear. Even with squelch turned up...

Dennis
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
It sounds like you have a bad internal speaker. Perhaps it was bad from the factory or maybe water damage? If you have a speaker that you can wire in as an external try that.

ReelJerks
03-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Dennis, could this be a internal ground problem as well?

I don't know that I would spend a lot of time on it. If it doesn't work with an external, there are plenty of good DSC radios on the market for a buck-and-a-half.

Edd

HHEVISHOT5
03-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Yep think I'm going to break out the check book, and replace it. For sure a good investment...

Thanks

Dennis
03-02-2010, 12:27 PM
Edd,
Most initial VHF problems are due to poor solder joints on the antenna cable.* He said that he checked the connections and cleanded them so it may be either a bad speaker or an internal ground like you suggest.*

A friend had poor reception and transmission until he had someone resolder the antenna connection.* Soldering the connector looks fairly straight forward but it's actually difficult to get the ground connector soldered properly.*

HHEVISHOT5,* If you know of someone that will let you use their antenna on their boat by running* power to your Raymarine 45 you could eliminate the antenna as a culprit.* I'd hate to see you get a new VHF and have the same issue.*

ReelJerks
03-03-2010, 01:59 AM
HHEVISHOT5,* If you know of someone that will let you use their antenna on their boat by running* power to your Raymarine 45 you could eliminate the antenna as a culprit.* I'd hate to see you get a new VHF and have the same issue.*
Thanks Dennis. One other point is that sometimes the center pin solder job looks good but it is NOT. Try Dennis' idea with a friend and also try an external speaker. These 2 tricks should point you in the in the right direction.

Edd

HHEVISHOT5
03-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Will do guys...

Thanks again

mytmouse
03-06-2010, 06:05 AM
exactly what im going through with a new in box raymarine Ray49. New antenna et al (new boat too)....very quiet reception....can barely hear, it is receiving, just barely hear it...trasmitting fine. assuming faulty speaker out of box.

SuperDave
03-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I've never quite understood why but the volume on the transmitting radio effects your reception volume. If transmitting radio volume is turned to low, you will hear only low.

ReelJerks
03-08-2010, 01:21 AM
I've never quite understood why but the volume on the transmitting radio effects your reception volume.* If transmitting radio volume is turned to low, you will hear only low.

Two completely different circuits. One can not effect the other, and, I just tested this theory with my handheld and fix mounted radios at a 40 foot distance. I also tested with 2 FSR radios and found the same results. So......with Uniden radios this is not the case. SD what man of radio are you using? While I'm not using Icom or SH equipment, I'm pretty sure they are at least as good as my Uniden stuff.

Edd