PDA

View Full Version : HDS Map Question

Fishmeister
02-26-2010, 01:51 AM
When I trailer my boat to a new spot and fire up my HDS 10, it takes a long time for the map to move to the new location. I know the GPS locks up almost right away as it shows speed and if you go into the GPS status page it shows the sats it is locked on to. Is there something I can do to get the map to sync faster?
Thanks

ReelJerks
02-26-2010, 02:54 AM
The key word in your post is NEW. The manual addresses this as common. The next time you visit this spot it will be much faster.

Edd

Dennis
02-26-2010, 02:55 AM
That's a great question.*

I typically stop the sonar when pulling off the lake, then the next time I start the HDS in the parking lot as I'm getting the boat ready to launch.* This additional time usually is enough.*

I believe that the system uses the last location as a starting point so the farther away the longer it searches.* You might try zooming out.* The larger area might help locate the correct area of the map.* Or try locating the lake by using the arrow keys.*

Using a 2D view instead of the 3D view should also help.* The graphic chips definately need some more speed or better programming.*

ReelJerks
02-26-2010, 04:04 AM
The key word in your post is NEW. The manual addresses this as common. The next time you visit this spot it will be much faster.

Edd

Here is what I meant. Also, this is from experience and Navico intelligence, be it as it may.

Immediately after my install I tested the unit at my shop. It took about 15 minutes to lock my position. Next day I went to The Flat and experienced the same snail like pace. When I got back to my shop I turned the unit ON and the lock was instant. Next weekend I went to Millerton Lake with the same slow lock. The bite was non-existent so we pulled in and went to The Flat again and this time it was an instant position lock. It seems like I had a real life experience which mimicked what the Manufacturer told me.* Go Figure!

Note: INSTANT in this case means less than 1 minute
Edd

Dennis
02-26-2010, 05:12 AM
Edd,
In total your probably not more than 15 air miles apart from any one of those three locations. It's not INSTANT when it's more than, say 60 miles apart. One week I'll fish Berryessa then then next New Melones and I experiance slow locks. If I fish the same lake it's more like you describe.
IMO the software should put a higher priority on the current location over the last powered on location.

ReelJerks
02-26-2010, 05:49 AM
It's about 82 miles round trip from shop to lake (The Flat), so roughly 40 miles. Your saying the unit is treating a 40 mile spread like the same location, but a 60 mile spread like a new location?* How can the unit find me 40 miles away from where I last turned it off instantly, and take 5 minutes to find me 60 miles away? Then take 5 minutes to find me ONLY 22 miles away (Millerton)? Please explain.

I only reported what happened to me and also what the Lowrance tech at Navico told me. Other than that....I don't know.

Edd

Fishmeister
02-26-2010, 06:24 AM
Thanks guys. Somehow I feel better knowing I'm not alone. Hopefully there will be a fix in a future software upgrade. I will try some of the suggestions next time out.

Dennis
02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
The HDS units are tested in Tulsa Ok. So when you first power it on it comes up near Tulsa. It takes like you say 15 minutes to find your location in California. After that the closer you are to your last powered on location the quicker the map comes up.

I believe that the software uses some type of search perhaps using concentric circles to find the new map to use. The larger the circle the longer the search.

I used Google Earth (ruler) and Berryessa is 93.3 miles by direct line to New Melones. I'm not referencing road miles, it's much farther by road. Using the same method Millerton is 21.4 to the Flat.

Beyond that, there may be differences in what maps each of our units are using. I'm sure the Platinum+ 3D will take longer to load than a base map.

D.C.
02-27-2010, 11:43 AM
I have an older Lowrance 5200 stand alone color GPS and when I go from one place to another mine does the same thing, I've found if I hit the exit button twice my present position and map comes on the screen. Bill :-/

GN.
02-28-2010, 05:57 AM
One thing to remember is to look for the crosshairs on the screen. If they are up you should push exit to show your current location. The first couple of times I had mine out I didn't know to do this so It took a while for the crosshairs to go away and show my location. It seems that the default mode is for the crosshairs to be up when you turn the unit on. This could explain why it takes 15 minutes to show your location.

ReelJerks
02-28-2010, 06:06 AM
One thing to remember is to look for the crosshairs on the screen. If they are up you should push exit to show your current location. The first couple of times I had mine out I didn't know to do this so It took a while for the crosshairs to go away and show my location. It seems that the default mode is for the crosshairs to be up when you turn the unit on. This could explain why it takes 15 minutes to show your location.
But it is still showing you on the correct body of water....correct?

GN.
02-28-2010, 09:34 AM
No...unfortunately not. That would make sense. When it starts up it shows it's last known position and has the crosshairs up. Push exit and you instantly get your current location.

D.C.
02-28-2010, 11:59 AM
That's exactly what mine does, the same as GN's* :), Bill

Seon
02-28-2010, 11:17 PM
On the new LCX113C HD that was replaced by Lowrance* last week, it too displays the location of my home not the current body of water.* But in my search for an answer, I read that that if there the unit is turned off other that by the power button on the unit, it will display the last location (in my case, my home) not the current location (?) .* *I'll try both method the next time I go out.

ReelJerks
03-01-2010, 01:35 AM
.....I read that that if there the unit is turned off other that by the power button on the unit, it will display the last location (in my case, my home) not the current location (?) .*

Interesting Seon....as I also remember reading something to that effect, but I don't remember where. It was quite awhile ago. I power down at the HDS and then turn bat switch to OFF.

Edd

Seon
03-05-2010, 12:11 AM
.....I read that that if there the unit is turned off other that by the power button on the unit, it will display the last location (in my case, my home) not the current location (?) .*

Interesting Seon....as I also remember reading something to that effect, but I don't remember where. It was quite awhile ago. I power down at the HDS and then turn bat switch to OFF.

Edd

I went out to the Delta yesterday and powered up the gps/ff and like the previous outing, the location shown was that of my house in the Camanche Lake area.*

I scrolled over to current position and piloted to the power lines and fished for a couple of hours with the unit left on.* Afterward I decided to turn off the unit at the head and fished, then after an hour, I turned the unit back on and it displayed my current location at the power lines.* So what I discovered is that you turn the power on and off at the unit's head and not at a battery power switch.
Woo Hoo* ;)

ReelJerks
03-05-2010, 01:33 AM
So what I discovered is that you turn the power on and off at the unit's head and not at a battery power switch.
Woo Hoo* ;)

OK for units with internal GPS, but not units with external module. Those with external module will still draw power and someone could end up with a dead battery.

So Seon.....I'm thinking......since some shut EVERYTHING off at the Perko (when they're done for the day), they should maybe try turning the Perko ON before they leave for the lake. If they act like the external modules. It shouldn't be enough of a current draw to run down the battery.

Thoughts?

Edd

nitty917
03-25-2010, 04:01 PM
About to purchase HDS-8, deciding to go with the Insight mapping, or Navionics Plantinum?
Which is better?

Fishmeister
03-27-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm getting better at this with practice. It seems that the map will locate to the current position faster if the the chart side is active in a split screen mode. Floated around Folsom for an hour and it never found the lake. I noticed that the sonar side was active. Locked onto Folsom as soon as I moved the active side to the chart.

nitty917
03-27-2010, 11:57 PM
i think ill be going with the base map and navionics platinum plus.
Just came from Manteca Bass Pro, wasnt impressed with Insight.

ReelJerks
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I don't think I was clear in my statement about turning the unit OFF at the head unit. With the HDS units only.....push the power button once to bring up a menu....toggle to 'POWER OFF' and press ENTER. I'm hearing that sometimes the HDS does not remember things when you push and hold the power button to power off. This feature wasn't offered on legacy units. Oh yea...it's quicker to shut down also.

:baghead: