PDA

View Full Version : humminbird problems

take_5
03-02-2010, 12:07 PM
question for you sonar scholars ? have a humbrd matrix 12 (single beam) on a crestliner sportfish with a merc. 4.3 IO and a merc. 9.9 kicker. the transducer is mounted on the transom right side away from the trollin motor. here's what's crazy, when i move at high speed, say 20 or more it works fine, shows correct depth speed structure and fish but when i slow to troll it goes haywire, it starts blinking an incorrect depth and shows no fish or structure. problem is i cant catch fish at 20 mph. anyway i wired it straight to a new battery so voltage is good. i've sent it back to humminbird twice they say they tested it and say it works fine. i'm thinkin relocate the transducer though it seems to be in the right spot and i hate to keep drilling holes, the things not even two years old so i hate to deep 6 it. anybody got any ideas or had the same problem?

ReelJerks
03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
... anyway i wired it straight to a new battery so voltage is good.
Where is the voltage good? At the bat terminals?, the fuse?, the plug?

i've sent it back to humminbird twice they say they tested it and say it works fine. i'm thinkin relocate the transducer though it seems to be in the right spot and i hate to keep drilling holes, the things not even two years old so i hate to deep 6 it. anybody got any ideas or had the same problem?
You can 'call a friend'! What I mean is, do you have a friend with a like HB unit so you can try yours on his boat and his head unit on your boat? How much turbulence is there at trolling speed? Have you looked? I've seen this the opposite way...good at troll speed and bad at cruising speed, and that IS generally contributed to transducer location and/or angle. However I would think it wouldn't clear up at speed if it were the 'ducer. ie..more speed = more turbulence.

Edd

OYD
03-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Have you checked the angle of your transducer? There is an excellent chance that the transducer angle is quite different when on plane compared to when trolling and if the angle is marginal, it may work on plane and not when trolling or visa versa. Try to addjust the angle when the boat is loaded in the water so you can adjust it to be tilted a couple of degrees foreward. If it worked for you while trolling previously and this is a new "problem", you may have bumped the transducer and knocked it out of its original position. Since most boats on plane run bow up, I would guess the transducer may be tilted up and is in correct position to mark but when you drop to trolling speed and the bow drops the angle is now shooting behind the boat far enough that it no longer picks up the signal.

BASS-O-MATIC
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Could be any thing from electrical interfierence to some sort of vibration or disturbance from a steped hull or rivits. You could use double sided tape or a suction cup to try different locations before drilling more holes. I hate holes they make boats sink. Good luck.

ReelJerks
03-03-2010, 09:45 AM
No friends huh?