PDA

View Full Version : Lowerance Structure Scan

Bloodthirsty
03-03-2010, 05:12 AM
I just got it....anyone using it yet......opinions ?

Radical
03-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I ordered one but haven't received it yet. Will watch this thread

Radical
03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
I've installed mine but haven't had it out yet. How about you? I did the update but I don't see anything in the menu pages for structure. I haven't hooked up the HDS to the scan unit yet. I hope the HDS sees the SS an will automaticaly add the pages.

Radical
03-22-2010, 05:16 PM
It works. Saw a tree on bottom that 3 of us lost our trolling lures at the same time. Next time I'll put a waypoint there for future reference.

Ken Sauret
04-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Hello,

My name is Ken Sauret. I am on the Lowrance Pro Staff and have had a Structure Scan for a couple months now.

I refer to Structure Scan as 3D sonar and traditional sonar as 2D sonar. For example, when you get your structure scan go to pages and select Structure Scan and Sonar to be displayed on the same page. The change the setting on the structure scan side to "Down Scan" and you will have a right to left scrolling picture just like the 2D sonar that is displayed on the other side of the screen. Find a submerged tree and compare the view on both screens. The 2D sonar will display the tree and all the noise that makes it difficult to interperet. The 3D sonar on the structure scan with show a tree. Sorta like a snap shot with a camera. The detail is incredible. Go over a rocky point that continues out into the water. The detail showing the rocks is like viewing it with a video camera.

Then when you go to the left and right views you will be able to see wether the tree is on the right or left side of the boat. You can hit the arrow buttons and a cross hair or cursor will appear. Move the cursor over the tree and a dialog box will appear and tell you how far out to the side the tree is. If you try to do this and the tree has scrolled off the page then move the cursor to the bottom of the screen and the picture will re-wind and you can view the history and see the tree again. The you can set a waypoint on the tree even though the tree is way behind you. After setting the waypoint go to pages and select the chart screen and navigate to the waypoint on the map and fish the tree.

Ken Sauret
Lowrance Pro Staff

Radical
04-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I'm still learning about mine and trying to understand it. The instructions are very detailed for some one who is a newbie to sonar.

Also the transducer has an open space between the hinged mount and when I get up on speed the transducer throws a roostertail. I'm experimenting with moving locations. Also considering mounting something that will close that gap that the water shoots through that causes the tail.

Bloodthirsty
04-19-2010, 07:06 PM
It might be too low....mine doesnt do that. Thanks everyone for the info. Took mine out yesterday and found that its pretty freaking cool. Not to sure about the right and left and how far things are.....yet...but downscan is awesome.

nitty917
04-20-2010, 10:11 PM
this thread will answer my decision, been looking at the HDS-10 for weeks now, comparing it to Humminbirds 1197c SideImaging unit.

Radical
04-21-2010, 07:48 AM
I like the down scan. While at Lake Melones I could see the trees below me but on the sonar I didn't know what they were. I also haven't quite figured out the sidescan part yet. With the HDS10 you can split the screen into four images. You can have sidescan, downscan, chart and sonar or various combinations of them showing on the screen.

ReelJerks
04-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome Ken Sauret to the Fish Sniffer Marine Electronics board :cheerleader:

I campaigned hard to get this board started and you will certainly be a welcomed contributor.

Edd

Ken Sauret
04-21-2010, 05:22 PM
It's my pleasure to be here. I will do my best to answer questions you may have concerning Lowrance products. If I don't know the answer I may be able to get the answer. I am going to try and check the board every couple days so if I don't reply right away please be patient and I'll help any way I can.

kenny6729
04-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Ken
I just recieved structure scan hooked to HDS 8 , The top ten feet is filled with interference, its is there if motor is off ,also if you unhook structure scan unit it goes away on HDS unit. I would appreicated it if you can tell me how to remove this. Thanks Kenny

Ken Sauret
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
If the interference you are seeing in on the 2D sonar go to sonar the menu and turn off auto sensitivity, then you can set sensitivity manually. Set it to about 85 and adjust it from there to get the clarity you want while still seeing the targets you are looking for.

In Structure Scan you can adjust the contrast to get the best picture you can. I run mine in the low 60's. This setting may need to be changed when you change to a different pallet.

kenny6729
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
If the interference you are seeing in on the 2D sonar go to sonar the menu and turn off auto sensitivity, then you can set sensitivity manually. Set it to about 85 and adjust it from there to get the clarity you want while still seeing the targets you are looking for.

In Structure Scan you can adjust the contrast to get the best picture you can. I run mine in the low 60's. This setting may need to be changed when you change to a different pallet.

Thanks I will give that a try