PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance Hds problem

DWheelersr
02-05-2010, 04:12 AM
Has anyone bought a HDS 7 lately. I bought mine in September with insight USA. The problem I have is the mapping with depth contours and map details disappear on the Sacramento River just above Decker Island and on up. The San Joaquin side is good, but the Mokeluemne River is where it stops giving details. I sent the unit back and evenutally they sent a new one.(2 1/2 months) It is the same, I complained and lowrance then sent a chip with some improvements. At least I now have the channel markers. I'm sure this on has the newest fix in it, but I want like the others I have seen. At this time it seems all I can do is get a Platinum plus with the west coast on it. Any suggestions? :'( :'( :'(

ReelJerks
02-05-2010, 05:08 AM
Well I don't travel the Mokelumne River, any river for that matter. Do you have any fishing buddies with HDS Insight?

I guess I could turn mine on and manually travel the rivers to see what I get. I'll try to sneak out of the offece for a minute.

Edd

ReelJerks
02-05-2010, 05:23 AM
Dan do you happen to have a screen shot?

DWheelersr
02-05-2010, 03:38 PM
No Screen Shot. I went to bass pro today, because I had ordered it on line from them. The tech in the marine electronics helped me. After finding out he couldn't fix it he finally got through to lowrance and after 2 hours they decided it was their problem. It seems they changed programming firms in June and a lot of units produced after that time were affected. He didn't know if the problem is fixed yet, but they are working on it. The lowrance tech had heard of the problem but didn't know the severity of it. Anyway Mark at Bass Pro had one on hand and we swapped so Lowrance got back the flawed and I am a happy camper. I had checked 2 other units from friends. Thanks Scallywag at least you offered. ;D ;D ;D ;D

D.C.
02-05-2010, 11:23 PM
What do you guys mean when you say Screen Shot? :-/, Thanks,LC

Seon
02-06-2010, 01:59 AM
You know, when one gets PO'd like a lot of HDS owners are experiencing http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/guns.gif* *

::) ;D

Seriously though, this is the reason why I bought an LCX112c* instead of an HDS unit last Sept.* Too many issues on a relatively new unit.* I'll wait until Lowrance gets it all sorted out, then I'll upgrade* ;)

ReelJerks
02-06-2010, 09:19 AM
What do you guys mean when you say Screen Shot? :-/, Thanks,LC
Same as 'Print Screen' on your puter. The Lowrance takes a snap shot of the screen.

Edd

retired
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
The Lowrance Rep. at the Sports Expo was giving the SD cards out.But you had to ask for it. They said the people who put the maping software together for then just plan missed that part of the delta. Lowrance will be putting a software up date on there webstie in the next couple of months and that will take care of the problem. Retired.

DWheelersr
02-06-2010, 01:48 PM
Seon, I waited a long time to purchase mine too. It may have been a mistake.The older ones have a good mapping. Retired and Skallywag you 2 got me looking into it again with your posts. Thanks At the Sports Expo I went there complaining about the issue. My unit was in OKLA. so they didn't give me a chip then. I received it after I complained about the new unit being flawed too. Anyway I made out and I hope I helped to get them to totally fix the problem. I'm sure with enough complaints the issue will be taken care of.

Seon
02-06-2010, 10:41 PM
... I'm sure with enough complaints the issue will be taken care of.

Like Toyota http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/whistling2.gif http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Seriously though, wonder why Lowrance didn't* thoroughly Beta test before selling them to the public?* http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

GN.
02-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Mine didn't have much detail in that area either. I hope they can just do an update via the internet to fix or update the map.

DWheelersr
02-07-2010, 06:30 AM
I know they are aware of it. The demo model I looked at had it. So I figure they all should have it. I know they are working on it. Maybe call Lowrance with the coordinates so they keep getting complaints and look at the right area. The people back there don't understand the Sacramento River is a main river. It doesn't mean as much to someone from Oklahoma, or where ever they are from.

Team Mc Fishing
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
This is why I will stick to my 520c and my 510c setup for now until the HD gets the bugs worked out. They will also get lower in price by the time they do. Plus you should be able to get updates by installing them on a memory card and updating your unit from the Lowrance web site.

ReelJerks
02-18-2010, 11:25 PM
.....They will also get lower in price by the time they do.
No evidence of this happening with past products until newer technology or more bells and whistles arrived. Only then did the price go down and your unit was reffered to as 'Legacy'.

Plus you should be able to get updates by installing them on a memory card and updating your unit from the Lowrance web site. That is available NOW when the updates are proven. It's not quite the same as signing up as a Beta Tester with Microsoft like in the past.

Seriously though, wonder why Lowrance didn't* thoroughly Beta test before selling them to the public?* http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

The Walleye and Bass guys who are part sponsored by Navico have been testing these for more than a year now, and for some 6 months prior to making them available to us'uns.

Edd

Polebrother
04-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Are there any happy Lowrance HDS owners out there? If so please speak up. I'm reading these threads with great interest as I prepare to purchase a FF in the coming weeks. For those of you who own an HDS unit, would you recommend I buy one--assuming I do the kind of fishing that an HDS unit might benefit.

Polebrother
04-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Wondering how I should interpret the silence.

Bakkie
04-06-2010, 09:13 PM
I have an HDS 5 with Lake insight and a navionics chip for the bay/delta. I put it on Lowrance lake insight mode for the delta and get contours around Rio Vista and up above Isleton.

ReelJerks
04-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Like Toyota http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/whistling2.gif http://www.anglernet.net/forums/images/smilies/lol.gif

Yo Seon....almost all of the beta testing is done by Bass and Walleye guys back East, and the very early testing is done mostly overseas. While I know some is also done on our left coast, the numbers are few. And really, there are just too many waters to test all of them. This is a rather small area in comparison and I'm guessing it was never tested before release to the public. We see this very same issue with Windows and others in that industry and I'm confident this will be fixed soon. Well I hope anyways.

:baghead:

DWheelersr
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm happy with my HDS. When I started this thread I was very Unhappy. Bass Pro swapped mine out with a unit that has the whole delta in the mapping. I don't know if Lowrance/navionics ever corrected the mapping problems. I'm sure if I didn't get it all I would have bought a chip. The chips have even better detail.

ReelJerks
04-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Glad to hear that Sr. What style of fishing do you engage?

Dennis
04-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Are there any happy Lowrance HDS owners out there? If so please speak up. I'm reading these threads with great interest as I prepare to purchase a FF in the coming weeks. For those of you who own an HDS unit, would you recommend I buy one--assuming I do the kind of fishing that an HDS unit might benefit.

I have a HDS-8 and I'm very happy with it. YES I recommend buying one.

ReelJerks
04-08-2010, 07:22 AM

I really like my HDS-10. There are a few glitches out there but These are way better than the LCX units. I will never do everything this HDS is capable of doing for me.

:baghead:

DWheelersr
04-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I normally fish the Delta for Striper and Sturgeon. I have doing a little trout and Kokanee the past 2 years.I am thinking of trying to do more of the lakes starting this year. My grandkids can handle the trout and Kokanee and they are fun to fish with. Teach a kid to fish.:bananatiedie: