PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security turning LORAN off next month

Yaker
01-13-2010, 02:46 AM
I just read that LORAN is being turned off February 8th. That's a shame

1fishaholic
01-13-2010, 03:14 AM
What's the difference between GPS and Loran? With as much time as I spend in a boat, you'd think I'd know... :-?

Yaker
01-13-2010, 04:23 AM
LORAN was a predessor to the GPS. It is not as accurate (accurate to 200 meters). It is a good marine backup to GPS.

1fishaholic
01-13-2010, 06:23 AM
That's what I kind of thought. I figured is was just a digital readout of your lat/long. So Is Loran land based (as opposed to satellite based w/ GPS)?

delta916
01-14-2010, 08:58 AM
Here is a link to information about Loran and it's shut down

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/loran/default.htm

ReelJerks
01-27-2010, 02:34 AM
LORAN was a predessor to the GPS. It is not as accurate (accurate to 200 meters). It is a good marine backup to GPS.
A better back up is a redundant GPS. It's not likely 18 satellites will all go out at the same time. It's past time for LORAN. Technology has moved way ahead, 200m vs 3m, and the money being spent on LORAN needs to go elsewhere.

Edd

Yaker
01-27-2010, 01:01 PM
A better back up is a redundant GPS. It's not likely 18 satellites will all go out at the same time. It's past time for LORAN. Technology has moved way ahead, 200m vs 3m, and the money being spent on LORAN needs to go elsewhere.

Edd
I agree it's not likely. However, the use case would not be a failure of the satellites but a QoS issue. For reasons of National security the GPS system can be shut down or accuracy reduced. I use my iPhone as a back-up to my Garmin and think I'm covered. I guess us old farts just hate to see old technology being put out to pasture.