PDA

View Full Version : ISE Lowrance seminars

retired
01-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I sat in the first Lowrance seminar today. Very good class. They went through most of the operation of the HDS units. The class was about a hour and half. Plan on taking a note book so you can write down the info that you think is important to you. I picked up some great info. Also get there as early as you can to put your name on the list. They only have room for 48 people at a time. Sign up at the Lowrance booth first. Retired.

GN.
01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I was there too. I wondered if any other sniffers were there. By the end of the class you'll be more familiar with the menus and settings. There's still a lot more to learn but this will give you the basics and a bit more. I had already explored mine quite a bit and I still found it worth while. Like retired said I would definitely get there early. I went after work and got to the booth about a half hour early and was number 44 on the list. That's Thursday night. It's only going to get more crowded from here.

ReelJerks
01-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Early releases said there would be 20 units to play with...were there?

Edd

retired
01-22-2010, 03:42 AM
I think there was18 units set up. Good class for people that have bought the units or are thinking about buying one. Get there early to sign up. $10 for parking & $15 to get in. Hope you enjoy the class. Retired

retired
01-22-2010, 08:46 AM
One thing that I was suprise with is that you only need to run your unit about 2% power. They never talked about setting your ping speed. Which I think would have been nice to see what they though. He cover how to set the bottom color and how to tell what you were looking at as far as hard bottom or soft bottom. I hope other people will post what they picked up from the class also. That way we all learn. I would go again but Let someone else have there turn. Thanks for letting us know about the class Edd. Retired

ReelJerks
01-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Not going to be able to go this year. Funeral and family matters.

Fishmeister
01-24-2010, 04:46 AM
I went to Friday mornings class. Thought it was really good. Learned a lot, with lots more to learn. Wish Lowrance would put out a decent manual and emulator for the HDS. It was interesting that the HDS 5 and 7 don't have the soft keys. I think it would be a real pain to navigate through all that software without them.
The structurescan demo was pretty cool. Be a great add on if it works as well as the demo. Think I will let a few of you guys drop the $600 or so and report back first. I went to the web site the instructers were pushing. They have a 4 hour class for $100. May be worth it if it was close enough.

retired
01-24-2010, 07:40 AM
I think I would go to the class if it was close. They just could not cover it all in 1 1/2 hour class. As far as the side scan. I think I will try and get the unit Before striper season or kokanee season. The soft keys are nice. But that is about $600 more for the HDS8. I could get the side scan for that money. Retired.

GN.
01-24-2010, 09:45 AM
One thing that I was surprise with is that you only need to run your unit* about 2% power. They never talked about setting your ping speed. Which I think would have been nice to see what they though. He cover how to set the bottom color and how to tell what you were looking at as far as hard bottom or soft bottom. I hope other people will post what they picked up from the class also. That way we all learn. I would go again but Let someone else have there turn. Thanks for letting us know about the class* Edd. Retired
Just to clarify. That's a 2% increase from the factory preset level. When in automatic mode it adjusts the sensitivity depending on conditions. By increasing 2% you're telling it to always adjust 2% higher than the factory level. I hope that makes sense.

The presenter said he usually sets the sensitivity in the range between 0% and +5% and the color line between 70 and 75. It's better to be a little high on sensitivity than a little low. A little more clutter on the screen to sort through is better than not seeing what you're looking for. Turning the color line down from that factory level of 76 help the stronger returns stand out from the weaker ones. If you're looking at a bunch of suspended returns in the water column that look like fish this should help you pick out the big ones. Maybe also pick out fish from junk in the water. That's the hope anyway.

I also hoped they would go over bottom type identification and ping rates. After the presentation I asked about that and he said it was a little much for the amount of time we had. He said the video they offer goes into that. The current video shows the older Lowrance units. They said they're planning on a new video for the HDS units soon. The info about bottom identification would probably be largely the same. If you're interested in the video or more training click the link. http://sonargpstraining.com/

I have the HDS7. I wish I'd had the cash for the HDS8 when I bought mine but it wasn't in the budget. The HDS8 and 10 have the soft keys which makes navigation of the menus easier. That being said I don't think it's that tough to navigate through the menus without them. I can see it being easier for non tech savvy people to have the soft keys. It's more intuitive. At least for me it was.

I'm dying to try the Stucture Scan myself. That's also not in the budget right now. I imagine it being a great training tool when you can put the different views side by side.

Now I just need to go out and use my HDS more. ;D

retired
01-24-2010, 12:00 PM
I need to go use mine also. That is the best way to learn the Graph. I get the 2% thing It just was a suprise compared to the way I ran the old graph. I sat in the garage, in my boat and played with the new graph for about a hour yesterday.* The more I play with it. The easier it gets.* Retired

GN.
01-24-2010, 12:36 PM
I see about the sensativity. I almost always ran my old one on manual mode. I haven't been out nearly enough lately. I'm still learning how to find stuff in the menus etc. and more time on the water would make it so much easier. By the time I get on the water again I have to remind myself how it was I did things last time.

1fishaholic
01-25-2010, 12:36 PM
I attended the Sunday morning class along with ~20-25 others. I had a little different take on the seminar. Of all the fisherman in the group, only 1 owned an HDS unit. I was hoping for a little more of a generic talk. I did learn some basic concepts regarding sensitivity and colorline, but 90% of the seminar did not apply to my LCX38 HD. For us non-HDS owners, we were offered to buy a DVD for $24.95 at the end of the talk for our units. The structure scan did look pretty cool though! I'm holding out on the broadband stuff for a while...

ReelJerks
01-26-2010, 01:23 AM
Wish Lowrance would put out a decent manual and emulator for the HDS.*

The HDS emulator is in the works and according to DOC Samson should be available this Spring. If you're like me and can't wait for the emulator, don't like cold weather chart play, get a 12v power supply and do it on the couch [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Edd