PDA

View Full Version : Humminbird with internal GPS questions.

87chevy
01-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I am thinking of replacing my old fishfinder with a new Humminbird 385i color sonar/GPS unit. Which has internal GPS inside of the fishfinder itself, instead of having the gps unit reciever on the outside of the boat. But I have read that the internal GPS models don't perform as well when they are behind a windshield or are in the cabin. Where the GPS signals can by obstructed. Which in my case I have a hard top boat with glass almost the whole way around. Any advice or experience would be helpful. Thanks alot.

ReelJerks
01-12-2010, 09:45 AM
I only have practical experience with Lowrance units, and these stories go both ways. Good and Bad. Have you checked on the HB site?

Edd

DUNNIGAN JIM
01-12-2010, 02:21 PM
TRT:* *I have used both Lowrance and Humminbird units....* *I have an external ant. on my chart plotter..* I have found that the internal ant. will take a lot longer to upload the satelites.. have not seen any diff. in the quality of the imageing.* I have Humminbird units ff/gps and chart plotter* w/ext. ant.* *If you can go with the ext. ant.* you'll be happier in the end..

87chevy
01-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the information. I will need to do some more research on models with the external ant. Thanks again.

airmec
01-13-2010, 07:42 AM
I have the HB 997 with the ext antena mounted behind glass with no proublem.
You might check the 700 series it either has GPS or can be added for not that much more than a 300 series. The fact that the 700's can be upgraded in the future alone is worth the extra money that way your unit won't be outdated next year.

87chevy
01-13-2010, 02:12 PM
I have been looking at the 700 series and am leaning more towards one of those with external gps. But I can't really find one thats Navonics compatable for less than $650. I contacted Humminbird and they said that an internal GPS model would not work in a hardtop boat. Which is unfortunate because they have Navonics capable/ GPS/ fishfinder 300 series. For around $300. Guess I might just skip the Navonics function.