PDA

View Full Version : GPS Maps for HDS's

kaliona
10-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but since there seems to be a lot of talk of the new Lowrance HDS sonar/gps units I'll give it a shot. I plan on getting the HDS-5 with the Airmar transducer but still confused about the map options you're offered with these units.

My understanding is if I get the Lake Insight loaded unit, I'll get the lake topos showing depths but the Delta area would just show channel markers and the edge of the rivers and sloughs. I would need to get the Nautic Insight loaded unit to get the Delta topos, but then the lakes wouldn't be included in that.

Lastly, I've read that if you choose to go with the Navionics West coast chip you'd get much more detail of the Delta (topos in 1 ft. increments) and Coastal waters than the Nautic Insight, but then again you don't get the lake topos that you would with Lake Insight.

So I'm thinking I should purchase the HDS-5 with Lake Insight and also get the Navionics to get the detail I need in the Delta.

Has anyone had the chance to compare the Navionics to the Nautic Insight? Is the Navionics worth the extra $190?

ReelJerks
10-20-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm thinking if I fished/boated the Delta most often I would like Nautic Insight pre-loaded and buy the Navionics card for western lakes. Naturally the reverse would apply if you fish/boat the western lakes mostly.

Edd

Fin
10-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I prefer the Navionics over the Nautic Insite for the delta.

kaliona
10-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Fin, have you actually seen both the Navionics and Nautic for the delta?* Is it true what i've been told about the depth contours being more detailed with the Navionics?* What about when it's time to upgrade? Is it easy with either one and will they both cost the same?
Thanks for your input

Fin
10-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Kaliona -

Okay...I double checked what I've got. I've got Navionics Hotmaps Premium - West and then I've also got NauticPath USA. Maybe I spoke out of turn, as I'm not sure of the difference between NauticPath and NauticInsight. My apologies if I was giving misleading info, as I was thinking that's what I had.

I have tested both maps that I have, and decided to use the Navionics. The chip that I have doesn't display every single foot contour. I wish it did, and would be willing to purchase a map that is better than what I've got if it's available. Anyone have any more detailed map for me?

Navionics upgrades (to my knowledge) are like this: You buy a new chip and then send in your old one for a rebate. If you spend $299+, you get $100 cash back. $199-298, $75 back. $130-198, $50 back. $99-129, $25 back.

Oh yeah...my Navionics chip has most lakes on it too. I have not tested the difference between Nautic and Navionics on the lakes though. I'd be glad for other's to chime in.

retired
10-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I heard that fishermans warehouse has a card for the delta and it is only $99. But i do not know all it has on it. I too do not know if i should but the unit with base map, or lake insite. I only fish the delta and the local lakes around the sacramento area. Maybe someone can give alittle insite on the different systems. Retired

Buz_Minow
10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I have the navionics hotmaps 2009--I have not fished it on any lakes----however the Delta from miner slough to RV, Steamboat , 3 mile all show as East San Joaquin---I have contacted* them and I did get an inconclusive reply

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this situation

I have a Humminbird 788c

Regards* Buz

kaliona
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
It would be nice to actually see the Navionics maps on display. Bass Pro Shops carries the Navionics Gold for the West Coast, but it's not loaded on any of their display units. So as far as the Delta and Ca lakes are concerned, I just have to choose between Navionics West, Nautic Insight, Navionics Hot Maps West, and Lake Insight. And that's for the HDS-5. If you're looking at the HDS-7, 8 or 10 then I think you have the option of Navionics West or Nauticpath USA.
Too dang confusing >:(

OYD
11-30-2009, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know whether the Navionics western lakes map also covers the SF bay?

ReelJerks
11-30-2009, 01:18 AM
Does anyone know whether the Navionics western lakes map also covers the SF bay?

I believe Western Lakes is exactly that...LAKES. But you should visit the Navionics website.

Edd

retired
11-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I bought the HDS7 with the insight usa. That will give you the delta maping. Lake insight will not have the delta on it. Retired

OYD
11-30-2009, 04:26 AM
I already looked at the Navionics site. the western lakes map indicates coverage of the delta area of the Sacramento and San Juaquin rivers but no mention of the lower bays. My daughter is looking for something to cover both the delta and the bays, so I am looking for specific information from users in that area.