PDA

View Full Version : Lose power

D.C.
10-15-2009, 12:30 AM
I have a standalone Furuno sonar and a stand a lone Lowrance 5400 gps. Almost every time I go out the gps will shut off and I've got to restart it. Some times the sonar does the same thing, both units are getting enough voltage, I have it up on both screens. Im 2nd owner so have not got the wiring down yet. Any ideas? Thanks, LineCounter.

ReelJerks
10-15-2009, 12:48 AM
Can you pinpoint WHEN this happens?
Which GPS module do you have, LGC2000, 3000 or 4000? The Lowrance LGC2000 was a terrible unit. However, since you have the same problem with your sonar unit, it's unlikely it is the module or display units.

Start by making sure your electronics are NOT wired to the same battery that starts your engine. If this is the case there are a few ways around this problem.
Check all your connections for corrosion and tightness. I like to add a tiny bit of dielectric grease at each connection terminal every winter.

You will most generally find this type of problem in these two areas.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Edd

D.C.
10-15-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks,I'll give it a try, Bill

GCinGV
10-22-2009, 02:01 AM
If you have any inline fuse holders (spring loaded type with glass fuses) they could be the culprits. They can sometimes momentarily lose contact and blink out when the boat bounces, especially if there is any corrosion at all. I use to have one that did it all the time and would drive you nuts.
Gary

D.C.
10-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks Gary, I think I do have some glass fuses up in there, I'll check it out. LC

D.C.
11-12-2009, 03:25 AM
Just letting you know I finally got my problems solved. After going threw a birds nest of wiring, tearing up my arms under the dash I ended up taking my boat to Sonny's. he ran a fused dedicated circuit to the front where he hooked up the sonar,gps and vhf radio to the circuit board controlled by the acc. switch. He said I was losing one volt the way it was wired before. Like to thank you guys for your suggestions. Sonny's has always done a great job for me. Bill

Seon
11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
..He said I was losing one volt

I just went thru a similar situation on my Lowrance LCX112c when out trolling the screen just went blank. I'd push the start button and the unit would boot up then after about 15 seconds it'd shut down. Ended up that the aux battery I have it hooked to was low on voltage. I hadn't charged it since last April and I've always placed the Perko switch on the main battery so the Aux battery never received a charged ::).

Good that you figured it out.

ReelJerks
11-25-2009, 01:33 AM
.....I've always placed the Perko switch on the main battery so the Aux battery never received a charged* ::).

Good that you figured it out.

If you change your setup to include an ACR you will never have this problem again.

Edd