PDA

View Full Version : Two electronics questons

Dogface
11-01-2009, 03:43 AM
I'm wondering if I need a marine radio installed in my boat or if a hand held is powerful enough for Delta fishing...what brands are best for each...

I have a Hummin' Bird fish finder/GPS and dunno yet if my SD card for Western Lakes incls the Delta or if a different card is needed for that...which one ?*

Thanks guys,

Mark

Dennis
11-01-2009, 05:20 AM
IMO, hand helds are good as backups or for very short range say from boat to boat. When there's a problem you'll want the most range you can get and that means an installed radio with a good 8' antenna. The Digital #529 antenna is one of the best antenna's on the market. Icom and Uniden make good VHF radios and Standard Horizion makes a very good hand held with built in GPS.

Most of the Western Lake chips will include some of the delta. Turn your unit on and then scroll out to some of your favorite fishing spots on the delta. If it includes some contour lines and the details you feel you want your good to go. If not I'm sure there's a SD card out there that will meet your needs. Navionics is a good one to look at.

Dogface
11-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Thanks Dennis. ICOM it is then..

My Hummin' Bird takes Navionics chips and I have the 07 version of Western Lakes. Their web site says in incl. Sac River and San Joaquin East and West.

I didn't know I could scroll to different places like you suggest. I really need to study that manual more ;-)

ReelJerks
11-01-2009, 05:35 AM
Dennis is right on* [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Although.......The research I have on the Digital brand antenna (and that's all it is..a brand name) shows some manufacturer defects. Shattering and cracking, to breaking just above the fitting. Great antenna as far as operation goes, but may not be on par with some Shakespeare models. But definitely go with a 25w fixed mount radio and 8' antenna.

Edd

eegolf
11-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I have a question also about radios . Do I need marine or will CB work whar do must have out in delta ??CB or Marine??/

ReelJerks
11-02-2009, 08:58 AM
I have a question also about radios . Do I need marine* or will CB work whar do must have out in delta ??CB* or Marine??/

They both work on the same 'line-of-sight' principle. However, the 5 watt CB simply can't compete with the 25 watt VHF. The other consideration is there are far less CB radios on boats than there are VHF types.

Spend a few extra bucks for safety and go with a good VHF radio and an 8' antenna.* [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Edd

Dennis
11-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Dennis is right on* [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Although.......The research I have on the Digital brand antenna (and that's all it is..a brand name) shows some manufacturer defects. Shattering and cracking, to breaking just above the fitting. Great antenna as far as operation goes, but may not be on par with some Shakespeare models. But definitely go with a 25w fixed mount radio and 8' antenna.

Edd
I disagree. The Digital antenna has better specs... about 10% better than some Shakespeare models. The end is a mini connector that is factory tuned. This means that there's no soldering of the end connector which is one of the major causes of poor antenna performance. The mini connector is small enough to feed through the bulkheads then it's adapted to the standard VHF antenna.

As for manufacturer defects I haven't heard about that.

ReelJerks
11-03-2009, 01:35 AM
Here's a little of what is out there on Digital brand antennas. This is from an August 2009 post.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/archive/t-238347.html

There is lots more out there too. Google is a wonderful tool.

Edd

Dogface
11-03-2009, 04:10 AM
Just FYI:

I just talked to Sunny at Sunny's Elec Marine in Sac. He recommended the RayMarine because it's smaller size and easier to install flush mount and is one of the better units...that and ICOM He said Uniden is trash.

He sells or installs what ever a customer wants whether he buys it for the customer or a customer brings it in. My center console does not really look roomy enough for a bracket mount. He also said good radios do not need to be as big as they are usually. He likes Shakespear ant.

ReelJerks
11-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Just FYI:

* He likes Shakespear ant.*

Yup.....if it's good enough for our military it's good enough for me. Although mine works great with my West Marine (Uniden) radio.

Edd

Dennis
11-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Edd,

Nice thread. I liked this part.

If you read the thread and the linked thread from DarthBaiter you will count seven people that have had similar problems with Digital antennas. One reported that Digital did replace his antennas, one had the vendor replace his - the others appear to be SOL.

Seems like a pretty long thread for seven people. Nice to be aware...

ReelJerks
11-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Edd,

Nice thread.* I liked this part.*

If you read the thread and the linked thread from DarthBaiter you will count seven people that have had similar problems with Digital antennas. One reported that Digital did replace his antennas, one had the vendor replace his - the others appear to be SOL.

Seems like a pretty long thread for seven people.* Nice to be aware...*

Yes, and given the time frame of mid year, some of that batch could still be floating around. There are other threads out there where Mfg testing show operational comparisons too close to call.

The Shakespeare products are less expensive to buy.

Edd

chrism
11-08-2009, 06:56 AM
You need a VHF fishing anywhere under the USCG supervised waterways and it is a good thing to have anywhere. You should absolutely have a VHF with DSC capability, period. Don't even think about a cb radio until after you have a dsc vhf functioning aboard. A good VHF is more likely to save your life than anything on your boat except a pfd.

See the attached thread for an informative slide presentatation, that the mods might want to make "sticky"

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/dsc/player.html

GN.
11-08-2009, 11:25 AM
How do we know if a particular waterway is USCG supervised?

chrism
11-09-2009, 12:54 AM
It's NOT a law to have them, just good common sense to have the equipment to be able to take advantage of CG dedicated rescue resources where they are available. The CG pretty much covers ocean waters, Delta, etc. Probably covers just about the area that they can hear you.

I wouldn't expect the CG to come get you on some small mountain inland lake.

By far you are better off and increase your prospects for getting help with a 25w fixed VHF with a high antenna. But if you are in a small aluminum boat
and did not have a gps that would hook into your VHF, I think a handheld with both dsc and an internal gps (like a Horizon HS850S or others) would probably reach the high CG antennas covering the Delta.

ReelJerks
11-09-2009, 02:21 AM
.....just good common sense to have the equipment to be able to take advantage of CG dedicated rescue resources where they are available. The CG pretty much covers ocean waters, Delta, etc. Probably covers just about the area that they can hear you.

This should probably be addressed just to clear any misunderstandings.
1. If it is not a life threatening situation, or a case where peril is eminent, the USCG will direct you to try one of the 'For Hire' companies such as TowBoat US, Vessel Assist and the likes. The CG will come to your aid if you have tried and can not successfully contact these type companies or if they are not available within a timely manner depending on your specific emergency.

2. The USCG operates on all coastal, open and navigable waterways where the United States has jurisdiction, as well as ANY inland waters that border two or more states.

3. Be aware that IF you summons the Coasties, they will absolutely board your craft and facilitate their routine safety inspection. You wil need to correct anything on the citation* >:(

All the above is first hand experience for me. Been there, done that!

4. As VHF radio communication grows within our inland waterway sport, it should still be considered your FIRST avenue for help. It's more likely that another fisherman is closer to your aid than anyone you can reach with a cell phone.

Edd