PDA

View Full Version : You Be The Judge

ReelJerks
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
I've heard some say that the Lowrance 'Structure Scan' due out later this year can not possibly be as good as the Humminbird 'SideScan'. You be the judge on these two pics.

This first pic is of a bridge during demolition prior to flooding a new lake.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/eddallen/Screen%20Shots/bridgeB4.jpg

This next image is a screen shot (after the lake is filled) of the same bridge using a Lowrance HDS-8 with 'Structure Scan'.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh252/eddallen/Screen%20Shots/bridgeAfter.jpg

As good as Humminbird? I'm thinking a bit better.

Edd

GN.
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
That's so cool. I can't wait to get one of my own. Where did you get those pics? Thanks for sharing.

ReelJerks
10-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Where did you get those pics? Thanks for sharing.

I spend lots of time researching SONAR on the net. Don't remember where I 'stole' them from.

Edd

airmec
10-13-2009, 03:59 AM
I have the Huminbird 997c SI and the only thing I can say is what gets posted on the web is better then what you will get unless you upgrade transducer ect. ect. Don't get me wrong for the cost compared to a few years ago either system is a winner but if you read the fine print* a lot of pics use a transducer I can't even find not to mention a 140 page manual that after a year I still am digesting. But it does find fish show their size and depth and give a better understanding of the bottom. What a person should try and do is get a ride and play with one in real life it's a lot of coin for the unit and a lot of variables for the result. Just went to the unofficial SI forum and the down image as Lowrance is useing will be a software upgrade in Jan.

Fin
10-13-2009, 04:50 AM
I saw some other photos a month or so ago...just right after they released them. I'll have to say it looks like Lowrance is stomping over Humminbird.

If you want to see photos, Bass Pro assistants can show them to you.

I liked the orientation that Lowrance gives you too, in my mind it's easier to read than Humminbird.

Fin
10-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Edd -

Any idea as to how deep the water is in the second photo?

Depth of water is one of my questions on this side imaging stuff. If you're in 100', phew! that's a lot of stuff on the screen, depending on cone angle. Maybe it doesn't work past 50-60 ft deep?????

airmec
10-13-2009, 05:13 AM
I would not decide on spending $2K on the salesperson at least when I bought if you press them they have not used the units just the sales info or "I was told" always comes into the conversation go to the forums on line listen to the gripes and the praise For myself all said and done I was out about $2300. Would I do it over? Yep! And SI works 150+ change the settings more.

ReelJerks
10-13-2009, 06:16 AM
......a lot of pics use a transducer I can't even find

Which one would that be?

xxxxxx
11-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Why is there a shadow on the structure onder water??

RF

GN.
11-07-2009, 09:07 AM
It's a sonar shadow. Just like sunlight can't penatrate objects that aren't transparent. The sonar can't penatrate certain things. The steel of that bridge for instance. The area behind the underwater bridge is returning little or no sonar energy so it apears dark.