PDA

View Full Version : Airmar Transducer.

retired
10-16-2009, 06:20 AM
Hi Skallywag
Which one of the Airmar transducer would be a good choice for a HDS-7 If I just used it for lake fishing (kokanee) and for striper trolling in the delta.
Thanks Retired. Buy the way I also like this site. Hope more people get to know about it. :)

ReelJerks
10-16-2009, 06:48 AM
I would email GEMECO and get their professional advice, but I just ordered the P66. I'm going to say this could be your best choice for the money.* If we weren't retired (me almost) I would suggest either a TM260 or TM270.

Edd

retired
10-17-2009, 01:32 AM
So is Gemeco were you ordered yours from and is there any problems hooking them up to the unit. As far as having the unit work with that transducer? Retired.

ReelJerks
10-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Retired-----No, I ordered mine from Jim at BOE Marine. Installation for Airmar is not unlike other transducers. Actually easier than messing with the typical Lowrance brackets.

Edd

part_timer
10-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Does the HDS unit have 1000 watts of power?

I think the 260 and 270 are both 1KW ducers, if you cannot power em with the electronics they are not gonna do what you want. Typically most electronics in the mid level range are either 500 or 600 watts, so a P58 (500 watt)or P66 (600 watt) would turn the trick.

retired
10-18-2009, 02:27 AM
Part timer
I will look into the watts output. I think I will order the p66 also.I would like to have the 260-270, but they are not in my budget. I have been saving my money just to buy the graph. Being retired it gets tuff sometimes to come up with extra money.

ReelJerks
10-18-2009, 03:58 AM
Does the HDS unit have 1000 watts of power?

I think the 260 and 270 are both 1KW ducers, if you cannot power em with the electronics they are not gonna do what you want. Typically most electronics in the mid level range are either 500 or 600 watts, so a P58 (500 watt)or P66 (600 watt) would turn the trick.

At 3,750 watts of output I think the HDS units can handle the 1000w ducers. The point is, do you fish depths that you require that 1000x ducer?

You sound serious about your sonar and that's good. Anyone that serious should email or call GEMECO for required 411. They will be more than glad to help, under NO obligation to buy from them.

Edd

retired
10-18-2009, 10:00 AM
I will call them this week. Going to get my new graph in the next couple weeks. Good price on them from Boemarine.com. Also it looks like fishsniffer moved this web page to the top of the list. Hope more people find out about the site. Retired. :)

GN.
10-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I've had several conversations with Jim at BOE Marine. He's very knowledgeable and helpful.

ReelJerks
10-19-2009, 12:46 AM
I've had several conversations with Jim at BOE Marine. He's very knowledgeable and helpful.*

He's quite the man. He even returns email and calls on Sunday. My P66 is coming from BOE.

Edd

GN.
10-19-2009, 04:00 AM
I've had several conversations with Jim at BOE Marine. He's very knowledgeable and helpful.**

He's quite the man. He even returns email and calls on Sunday. My P66 is coming from BOE.

Edd

It sure makes you a lot more comfortable ordering on-line.

ReelJerks
10-19-2009, 04:08 AM
I've had several conversations with Jim at BOE Marine. He's very knowledgeable and helpful.**

Edd

It sure makes you a lot more comfortable ordering on-line.

I should clarify something here. I do NOT want to take anything away from the local sellers or board sponsors here. I bugged Jim at BOE for weeks before deciding on this transducer, and I felt that I owed Jim at least the purchase. I actually feel like I owe him more.

Edd

part_timer
10-20-2009, 01:51 AM
Thats a quote peak power rating not RMS. In fact I checked the specs after reading this post and found that the way they quote power is not clear. Typically the spec will quote a RMS (aka steady state) power and a peak to peak rating. I could not find a RMS rating for the HDS unit.

From the website-

Max 250W Peak to Peak (31W RMS) actual; 30,000W Peak to Peak analog equivalent W

There may be a reason they quote it this way, perhaps due to the HDS component of the electronics.

Regardless, even in shallow water, the 260/270 ducers paint a VERY clear picture. While it is true that the higher power allows one to read deeper, it also needs to be considered that there are more elements in the 260/270 units, and they give a clearer picture.

I have a friend running a TM260 on his boat with a ray C120 and DSM300 (1kW) sounder, and the resolution is phenomenal. I have a ray A65 with a DSM25 (500W) running a P58, and the detail difference is pretty striking. Both of us spend most of our time on the delta in less that 100 ft of water. Both are fantastic for finding sturgeon right on the bottom. I use mine in lakes for koks and macks and it does great there as well. Bottom line, the added power is great, but not needed for shallower water. The number of elements in the ducer is a big factor as well though

Just some thoughts

I will call them this week. Going to get my new graph in the next couple weeks. Good price on them from Boemarine.com. Also it looks like fishsniffer moved this web page to the top of the list. Hope more people find out about the site. Retired. :)

ReelJerks
10-20-2009, 02:55 AM
There may be a reason they quote it this way, perhaps due to the HDS component of the electronics.

So you can make a comparison between the models that aren't broadband.

ie:* LCX-112C = 1000w RMS or 8000w Peak power
* ** *HDS-10* * =* 3750w RMS or 30,000w Peak power

Edd

part_timer
10-20-2009, 11:23 AM
They are doing 3750W on a unit that small?

Thats commercial sonar power! Gonna need one hell of a power supply and big time current draw.

Makes me wonder why they quote it as "equivalent" RMS power; something else is going on there IMO.

ReelJerks
10-21-2009, 12:21 AM

Thats commercial sonar power! Gonna need one hell of a power supply and big time current draw.

Makes me wonder why they quote it as "equivalent" RMS power; something else is going on there IMO.

LCX units = analog
HDS units = digital

I believe it has to do with power/signal conversion.

Edd

ReelJerks
10-22-2009, 01:33 AM

Isn't it actually ERP (effective radiated power)?

Edd

part_timer
10-22-2009, 11:53 AM

Makes me wonder why they quote it as "equivalent" RMS power; something else is going on there IMO.*

Isn't it actually ERP (effective radiated power)?

Edd

It could be, the only thing it makes me wonder is why they need to change the criteria after many years of quoting the same. There is something different when a company starts changing the way they present data.

As far as Digital versus analog, that is only the signal processing. The pulse sent out returns as an analog, and gets converted to digital for cleaning, filtering, and amplification. Almost all electronics do that these days; a small chip can take the place of a hundred discrete items on a board.

GN.
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
I've been doing some reading of my own to try to make sense of the power ratings. The post in this link seem to be well informed and understandable.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/211534-lowrance-hds-8-a.html

jimp14
10-31-2009, 04:14 AM
I have a hds 7 with the p66 everything works great just make sure to tell the hds 7 what xducer u r using