PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon baits

Diamondback70
05-06-2004, 10:36 AM
I was just wondering about a bait for Dino's. Since grass shrimp seems to be in low supply lately, I was wondering how crawdads would work. I primarily fish the MBF and was wondering if anyone has tried this? ???

PlugROCKSTAR
05-06-2004, 11:03 AM
hard boiled eggs inside of carrots....that was tough ::). LMAO

Diamondback70
05-06-2004, 11:50 AM
916 - You eating paint chips again?

PlugROCKSTAR
05-06-2004, 12:19 PM
oooh man, LMAO. i couldn' resist bro. but really i've never thought about using crawdads for sturgeon. let me know how you do.

Loves-to-Fish
05-06-2004, 01:20 PM
I've always done good with pile worms. or a combo with ghost shrimp/mud shrimp.....I also have caught some on store bought shrimp 16/20 soaked in a sturgeon coktail sauce..... ;)
LMAO!!! Hard boiled eggs......soaked in some anise! RLMAO!

LTF shhh! *23 days

tankgrunt
05-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Salmon roe has done pretty well for me and doesn't seem to be as popular with the bait stealers. I've also done pretty well with ghost shrimp, but you need to tie your baits.

Diamondback70
05-06-2004, 02:52 PM
I've used mud shrimp, ghost/grass combo, pile worms...always did really well on the grass/ghost combo. It's just if the bait shops don't have any grass, I'd hate to get nothing but ghost...think I'll trap a few dozen crawdads and try 'em out

Mr_T
05-06-2004, 04:00 PM
Always seems that piles are a staple for the dinos; one other source for grass is Haps' in Rio Vista, they seem to get them pretty regular

STURGEONSTOMPER
05-07-2004, 05:07 AM
Piles and grass..now if yea cant get grass then piles are almost always available, I do use crawldads for chum but never as bait but I bet they would work for sure. Shad has produced fish for me also. hard boiled eggs only work in the mornings.. ::)

Mr_T
05-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Picture this: SS with a beer and a couple hard boiled eggs in the morning. :PWhen he gives the signal, ya lower his backside into the water with a rope and let him rip one. :o :o :o

There ya go fish in da boat. :-[ :-X :-X ;D ;)

PlugROCKSTAR
05-07-2004, 06:20 AM
oooh $#!t that's a good one Mr._T. I'm not the type of person to instigate but, you have to come back on that one SS. LMAO oooohhh you guys crack me the hell up. ;D

STURGEONSTOMPER
05-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Hey dont knock it till yea try it...Thats a classic stomper sturgeon call and its worked more then once..lol ::)

on_fish
05-07-2004, 08:51 PM
I have personally seen YODA stab a hard boiled egg soaked in VAGISIL with a 6/0 ( any other hook is illigal right? )

tankgrunt
05-08-2004, 11:18 AM
OK, that's it... I am never keeping another sturgeon ever again knowing what you guys have been feeding them. Lead, mercury, DDT and malathion I can deal with, but hard boiled eggs soaked in Vagisil :P :P :P

Mr_T
05-09-2004, 08:16 AM
oh man, this has really taken a wrong turn here. Yikes... :o

STURGEONSTOMPER
05-11-2004, 05:29 AM
Thats ok on-fish jabs and runs, he hasent seen the worst of yet. :D

Dback pile worms are almost always availble so thats what I stick with.

Diamondback70
05-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks SS...launched out of Suisun this past weekend. Got out to MBF and just way too windy. Tried to fish the sloughs for anything, but still too windy. On the incomming tide, we had seen a lot of sturgies breaking surface. A couple I would estimate 6ft +...but you know what they say, "A bad day of fishing is better than any day at work". ;)

STURGEONSTOMPER
05-12-2004, 08:50 AM
That wind sucks...But its fun to just sit there and watch these monsters catch air all day...Much better the work.. ;D

Seceret_hole
03-29-2006, 11:21 PM
What's kinda funny is that most the sturgeon bait that is used in Northern California are the most expensive - grass shrimp, ghost shrimp, pile worms, eel, ect... however I have seen a big gob of nightcrawlers out produce all the expensive baits almost every time.

In Oregon on the Columbia *the preferred bait is shad. I think sturgeon will eat what ever is in front of them to be honest. *I even filleted one open once and found an orange rubber glove in its stomach. He must have been real hungry. :o

rtandersen
03-30-2006, 05:06 AM
If stomper put his back side in the water and ripped a few you would not need a net or bait . They would just float to the surface and roll over and say '' Stomper you win we give'' .

j/k stomper !!!

FishWisher
03-30-2006, 06:49 PM
I've given up the shrimp baits and worms. They get picked to pieces by the fish and I spent too much time re-baiting and cussing. And buying more bait.

I've used nothing but lamprey for about a year now. It keeps in the freezer at home, lasts forever and I mean several trips per lamprey for about $10 each. Nothing is any cheaper than that.

And nothin' much bothers it but sturgeon. I doubt that I'll ever use anything else as long as they're available.

(Of course, when DFG declares a 2" to 4" slot on lamprey due to low counts of 'em on San Pablo Bay, I'll have to give them up! *::) )

Dale

fishenrick
03-30-2006, 06:56 PM
I am glad you have good luck on lamprey, I have never had much luck with it, I caught more sturgeon on shad last year than I have ever in the past, it out did ghost shrimp by alot.

fishenrick

cptfishalot
03-30-2006, 09:59 PM
I've caught them on Eel/Sardines/with a Ghost Shrimp combo.....
I've never used Ghost Shrimp by itself.....

STURGEONSTOMPER
03-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I've used mud shrimp, ghost/grass combo, pile worms...always did really well on the grass/ghost combo. It's just if the bait shops don't have any grass, I'd hate to get nothing but ghost...think I'll trap a few dozen crawdads and try 'em out

D, Id say apply for some pile ;)worms

BIG_ONE
01-12-2008, 05:34 AM
Talk about baits, i've used many, caught many on different ones, but i like lamprey better, they save alot of money, and you can re-use the bait that you used, as long as you don't tear the bait up, you can just put it back in the bag where there is a lot of blood and it re-fresh the bait again, not only that, they have a strong smell to it. well not the small kinda grayish lamprey...although they do have a scent kinda like it, but these big black thick round lamprey that now goes for 50 bucks each at the bait shop in montezuma, now those are some killer baits, but i stick with the lamprey with a combination of night crawlers wrap on it, since night crawlers has that fresh mud smell, which a lot of sturgeon picks on fresh mud smell too, hope this helps :)

mark33
12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
How are lamprey eel hooked? Are the whole eel used or do you cut pieces and put them on the hook?

I have not caught a Sturgeon out of the delta yet, and have tried ghost and grass shrimp and pile worms only to have my bait stolen.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

fuenstock
12-23-2008, 11:25 AM
You don't need to use the whole eel. I like to cut mine into 3-4" long strips, about 1/4'-1/2' thick. Eels the cheapest bait, it last for months and the bait stealers have a hard time stealing it off the hooks. freeze it over and over, the older and more stinky it gets the better! Try to find the black eels instead of the grey ones.

Fish_For_It
12-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Fuenstock,

Thanks for the informative info on using the eel. Hard to image that the more you abuse it the better it gets.....

mark33
12-23-2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info Fuenstock.

KRASHFISH
01-21-2009, 01:52 PM
sounds like crabbin......the stinkier the bait the better!!!!!

can i use old chicken ;D!?!?!?!?! * lol im going to try one day

jayson

BIG_ONE
01-21-2009, 04:33 PM
LOL ;D ;D ;D

has anyone realize how old this thread is??? who went and digged this thread back out???...this thread is 5 YRS OLD!!!!! :o ;)

2QUARTSLOW
01-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Wait a minute, wait a minute, CANT 2 Q put his 2 cents in this pot, or what??????? :D :D 5 years %$#* most of these guys still have the same bait on their line since this post started. hahahahahahaha

whats going on diamondback, tank, SS, 916, fishnrick, I dont see Krzy anywhere, if I forgot to name ya, ya know I have a couple screws loose or is that bottle tops.

I remember that trip with the eggs, ;) ;) ;)

dont worry 2Q still peaks at the boards, even though im in San Diego.

Talk at cha later 2Q on the side

2QUARTSLOW
01-21-2009, 10:35 PM
I had to put it on-fish how ya been doing and LTF you too. Man this thread brought the best out, oh wait why im I responding then :-? ;D

hahahaha

2Q with a boat load of fish, even in San Diego

*Deltadog*
01-22-2009, 06:48 AM
$50 eels at a bait shop in Suisun.???..... ::)
Somebodys getting screwed. If I walked in that shop, I would give the owner what for!!!
Dog

BIG_ONE
01-22-2009, 01:16 PM
$50 eels at a bait shop in Suisun.???..... ::)
Somebodys getting screwed. If I walked in that shop, I would give the owner what for!!!
* *Dog
;D ;D those aren't the regular lamprey you see that is sold for $12 ea ;D ;D

idahoboy
08-11-2009, 08:47 PM
well i'll add my two cents to a 5 year old thread. On the snake we use trout and when i have them crappie heads. I prefer the crappie they seem to catch more fish but the morts from te fish hatchery's around Bliss work really well