PDA

View Full Version : Natural bait?

Phinger28
03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Ive been fishing the sacramento river around freeport/clarksburg area and most have told me to use either pile worms or ghost shrimp. As i understand, sturgeon like to key in on natural food sources so why would they go for these baits up this far and further up the system? Are there ghost shrimp and pile in the river this far up? Maybe try a different bait?

fool4fish
03-10-2009, 09:28 PM
i would use a big gob of nightcrawlers!

drinkin_buddy
03-10-2009, 10:29 PM
I would try freshwater clams and mash them up (shell included) , put them in a roe net, tie them off and put a hook through it. That's what I would try. Any small fish that is indiginous to the area too, like shad etc. Good luck, keep us informed on your progress....Don

*Deltadog*
03-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I dont think sturgeon pass up a meal anywhere in the river system if is a food type they are used to eating. Thats why ghost shrimp are the bait of choice in Knights Landing. Choose bait with the best scent trail. Worms are worms to a sturgeon, cut fish will always be a good bait, add a little scent to your offering as well.
Dog

drinkin_buddy
03-12-2009, 09:57 PM
I dont think sturgeon pass up a meal anywhere in the river system if is a food type they are used to eating. Thats why ghost shrimp are the bait of choice in Knights Landing. Choose bait with the best scent trail. Worms are worms to a sturgeon, cut fish will always be a good bait, add a little scent to your offering as well.
* Dog

I was under the assumption that ghost shrimp were a saltwater thing

FishWisher
03-13-2009, 04:26 AM
One sturgeon was caught with a license plate in its belly. So... what do sturgeon consider to be "natural" bait?? My guess is they don't consider if some morsel is in its usual waters; if it's edible, I think they'll likely eat it.

If you're reeling in clams, you are likely over a clam bed. That's a good place to catch sturgeon as they do work the clam beds.

Dale

imsroll450
03-15-2009, 07:53 PM
my grandfather has been catching sturgeon in the freeport area on ghost/grass shrimp for years....

BIG_ONE
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
One sturgeon was caught with a license plate in its belly. So... what do sturgeon consider to be "natural" bait?? My guess is they don't consider if some morsel is in its usual waters; if it's edible, I think they'll likely eat it.

If you're reeling in clams, you are likely over a clam bed. That's a good place to catch sturgeon as they do work the clam beds.

Dale

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]