PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for New Rod and Reel

old-chris
05-29-2009, 09:27 AM
I have not fished for about 10 years and I am going to start again in a couple of weeks...I am a 5'2", 110lb female and have landed many large fish including stripped bass and sturgeon (nearly as long as I am tall) in the delta, and a halibut (won second place on charter boat) outside the Golden Gate. All were caught and landed on a 5' rod with 8lb test. The only one I do not have a picture of is the stripped bass so I am not telling any "fish" stories. Presently I am looking at a 7' Shimano rod and a Shimano Corbalus CDF 400 casting reel from a local merchant. I want something good without breaking the bank. I have been on Cabales Web site and I am concerned about the reviews for the reel. My main concern with the reel is I am very picky about adjusting the drag on the reel to the current and tide. Open to Suggestions.Please advise. :)

pinfish
05-29-2009, 09:47 AM
you should be okay with the stripers

Ash
05-29-2009, 11:18 PM
I would suggest the Shimano Compre 7' with TC4 construction. and the Cardiff or Calcutta 400. Will spend some money but the rod has a lifetime warranty and either reels are just awsome.. ;)

chrisd
06-01-2009, 03:41 PM
If it is a corvalus, I have a couple 400s and 300s that are a couple years old. *They have served me well. *Two issues; the spool release got stuck on. *I think it is still out of comission, but I did take it apart and found I need to replace some non-metal washer. *The other issue is that the screws (2 of them) holding the reel together come loose easily and the entire deal falls apart. *Happens on the 300's too. *Can be a problem. *Cranking mechanism and the spool fall out.

I have enjoyed them very much though.

jrebel
06-13-2009, 03:28 PM
I do pretty much the same fishing you do, and I have gone through many differant set ups. So far I have found the g-loomis 6'6" or 7' imx rod to be the best over all rod, it is super light, extreamly sensitive, and I have landed so super fish with it. Great thing about g-loomis is it has a lifetime warrenty. Now with the loomis rod I use the Penn International 975 Reel. This reel is very easy to adjust I have used it in very swift tides and never had a problem. It is great for backlash I havent had a backlash in about a year with it. It is also very easy to clean and has an anadized finish for great salt water protection. I use 20 pound test and it hold 340 yards so you have enough line on to fight the big fish. I hope this helps and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

kingcole
06-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Old Chris -

You bait fishin or pluggin? What is your reel budget and rod budget or total budget? That is going to tell you your options.

Either way I'd go Shimano Clarus $70 out the door and life time return you pay $15 for shipping and get a new rod back... I have used the return policy once and zero problems. If you buy at Fishermans Warehouse you give them $15 and they give you replacement on the spot if in stock.

What ever reel you decide on I suggest looking on Ebay I bought my Curado DSV 300 that sold for about $240 at the time for I think it was $168 delivered. They are still selling for about that and make a fantastic Striper reel for pluggin.

My Curado sits on a Shimano 7'2 shimano Clarus MH fast tip rated I believe 1/2 oz - 3oz and I love it for Top water and swimbaits. Touch isn't a need with these styles of fishing so I didn't want to spend GLoomis $$

FisherMi3nh
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
i'm also in the market for a good reel and rod. forgive me im still a newbie when it comes to ocean fishing. im using my fresh water rods/reels everytime. what is the different between the salt and fresh water rod/reels?

jrebel
06-16-2009, 09:40 PM
That all really depends on who you talk to, I fished with fresh stuff for years on saltwater. I just didnt have the buget to get stuff dedicated for both. But now I do, Im still new at this myself but from what I see the saltwater rod and reels are generally able to handle more line and at a heavier test. the rods are alittle stiffer as you may have to fight a hugh salt fish. hope this helps you out.