PDA

View Full Version : Napa River Salmon Release

Ash
05-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Couple weeks ago I was out fishing with a buddy to track down the stripers. We started by hitting up the slews with hair-raisers and swim baits with zero luck. We decided to see if we can mark anything out in deeper water and headed towards the mouth of the river at the Marker #2.

About 200 yards before the marker, we spotted a large fish release barge and 4 Fish and Game diesel trucks at Mare Island. Around the fish barge’s location, a dozen boaters were bouncing around. When we stopped and asked one of the fisherman he shared with us that Fish and Game was doing their annual salmon release at the mouth of the river.

The Fish finder was going off in our boat so we tried jigging for about an hour as the barge worked its way out. This resulted in a lot of hits but no hook ups. Running out about 200 yards past Marker #2 we trolled the start of the outgoing tide using broken back Rebels and Yozuri stick baits up stream about 400 yards, working that same area for about 2 1/2 hours with 2-3 foot swells rolling in. The swells and the occasional Bay Link Ferry passing by at full speed posed a very action packed trip in my 15-foot fishing boat.

We hooked about 6 fish all in the 20-30 inch range, called it a day, and brought one home. ;D

pinfish
05-29-2009, 09:45 AM
yup heard about it from a ferry passenger. i couldn't get in on the action from the shore across the strait but glad you guys did. the fish didn't spread out.

Cracker Jacks
06-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Cool ...

Sounds like you should get a bigger boat too :D ;)

Ash
06-03-2009, 06:58 AM
NO WAY, that would take all the fun out of it. ;D. But would like to get something a little more heavy as well as a cabin just so i could stay out all night :).