PDA

View Full Version : Stripers taking bait off the surface, tips?

MinnowMagnet
05-28-2009, 10:11 AM
The water level has been lowered in my lagoon and i have been going out anchoring on a drop off fishing live bait. I have been freelining smelt, tuesday night i saw two striper come up right next to the boat, but no hits. Last night I fshed close to the boat a big striper came up to my bait and kept jumping on it and tossing it in the air for about a minute, but it would not take it into its mouth, then the same thing happend 30 minutes later. Why won't they take it into their mouth?

ghostfish_slayer
05-28-2009, 03:54 PM
all the things i would try.. a floro leader seaguar is the best in my books.. a true live bait hook the smallest one made use a uni knot and don't cinch it all the way down to the eye.. leave a little loop 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch loop so the bait and hook has a little more motion on the line, thump your bait over the head lightly once before you throw it in.. hook it by the collar make it swim a little more wounded.. don't worry the loop will cinch down when you set the hook..

Kaos_Inc
06-02-2009, 12:46 PM
The water level has been lowered in my lagoon and i have been going out anchoring on a drop off fishing live bait. I have been freelining smelt, tuesday night i saw two striper come up right next to the boat, but no hits. Last night I fshed close to the boat a big striper came up to my bait and kept jumping on it and tossing it in the air for about a minute, but it would not take it into its mouth, then the same thing happend 30 minutes later. Why won't they take it into their mouth?

THey wont take it because it will hurt! Duh! Hahahahhaah!

Happens sometimes... Try a diff lure and or size. When I have stripers hit my top water lures they will miss 4 to 5 times before getting sometimes. I keep the action up and nice pace so they can target it easier.

pinfish
06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
try a clouser. i dont think they will miss the hook on that one