PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Bay Saturday 5/16

elgallo
05-20-2009, 11:55 AM
5 casts, > 5 minutes, casts #'s 4 and 5 were back to back strikes and ultimate landings. 1 @ 24" and the other @ appx 30".

Red Headed pencil popper was the ticket.

The smaller of the the two fish completly swollowed the lg. 8" popper. I had to surgically remove it when I got home.

If I could figure out how to post pix's I'd do so.

GT
05-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Nice work on the top water action! Good to know the bass are on the prowl in your neck of the woods.

Double_D
05-20-2009, 03:09 PM
On the prowl since February ;)

CCCStealhead
05-20-2009, 03:28 PM
Rooster, just stop while your ahead. ;)

put_em_back
05-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Good job. I went out Saturday and blanked, but I did see one small striper caught on a sand crab. Still looking for my first of the year. Maybe this weekend :)

weatherguy
05-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Congrats. Hard to beat topwater striper action. Thanks for the report and continued success to you.
Lee

elgallo
05-21-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks fellas, I have been after em since Feb/March with nary a tail slap so that 5 minutes was nice.

CCC: Stop while I'm ahead, never! *Remember fishin is a sickness. *I guess you could say I'm just a workin guy with a FISHING PROBLEM!

Tight Lines to you all

tt31
05-21-2009, 05:55 AM
Went out Yesturday caught about a 30 incher on a micky jig on my first cast. Lost another a few casts later and went home. The fish and there I fished for 45 minutes and hooked two.

elgallo
05-21-2009, 07:19 AM
tt31: Morning or evening?

weatherguy
05-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey all

I am also wondering which bite you are finding better. Morning Afternoon or evening? Or do you think that it is more tide dependant. I am one of those that believe in a strong incoming tide for the beach. Although I will admit to catching my biggest fish at dead low tide on an overcast afternoon. I usually can only fish evenings as I leave for work around 3:45 am. But I could occasionally adjust for a morning fishing session if I thought it would be worth it. Just looking for your theories.
Lee

elgallo
05-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Mine were early morning fish as are most of the ones I catch because I generally fish early morning.

Like you I have done real well at low tide. These last two on the other hand were at or near high tide. They say it matters but I wonder about that. If the fish are there they will bite regardless of tide, and water conditions in my book are as important regardless of the tide.

Our job is to find em!

Tight Lines Amigo

Double_D
05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
IMHO....Some places fish better at low tide some better at high tide, I don't like fishing big tide swings and I've caught fish at all times of the day, but there is still IMHO nothing better than fishing the magic hours,one hour before and after sunset or sundown...and if it's overcast during the day, all the better. 8-)

elgallo
05-22-2009, 05:55 AM
I have noticed that also DD, that I appear to do better on overcast days for some reason.

livonwtr
05-22-2009, 05:55 AM
We've been landing a few almost every time out. Good year thus far. Have seen 3 fish between 20-30#'s and heard of a couple more.(might be hearing about the same fish I saw) Of course I didn't catch them >:( Consistant action over last few weeks. keep jumping from spot to spot and fish seem to be everywhere. Had a school of fish actually chasing our lures onto the sand one day.NUTS! Brought a buddy of mine to the beach who had never caught a striper in the surf. Big mistake! I get phone calls everyday when I'm at work while he's catching fish! Anyway, good luck to all, see you out there.

elgallo
05-22-2009, 07:01 AM
A friend of mine, not a fisherman, was walking on ****** Beach on Tuesday evening and a striper shot right out of the last roll and ended up high and dry on the beach at his feet.

Thursday (yesterday) morning they were boiling in the surf chasing bait. *

It's about time we get a good striper season as its been kinda slow the last couple of years.

Tight Lines guys and good luck!

Sorry, no spot burning, just a general area please. ;)

GT
05-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I believe the reasaon why the bass are showing up on the coast in good numbers so far is due to the lack of bait in the bay. The bass will travel to find a food source and out in the surf, you get sand crabs and various bait fish.

As far as best time to fish, it's when you can get out! Like others, I've caught them on all tides and all hours of the day.

Pongo
05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Monterey Bay is full of bait. *Are you referring to S.F. Bay? *I went out yesterday at no spot burning policy beach and got skunked. *There were probably 15 people fishing and two fish were caught. *I later found out that they hammered them at the no spot burning policy hole. *if you are lucky enough to be in the right area you catch fish.

CCCStealhead
05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Here we go :-/

weatherguy
05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
roger that Pongo I missed that same bite raised a few fish the night before down the road a bit it would be nice to have a full on boiling feast once in a while though as you said right place right time
Lee

tt31
05-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Sorry for the late reply I have been fishing all of my free time. As Double_D said it is more of a tide issue. I have caught fish in all parts of the day the key is to find water that is holding fish. Yesturday I fished three hours with out a bite, before I found a school, then it was wide open for an hour and a half until the water came up and the fish moved on. On Friday I fished the same area at the same time and the water was too low, the school was at a different part of the beach. The key is to put the hours and miles in, and when you find the fish you will be rewarded. Another key is not to blow up your spots. I have freinds that fish and we network between each other as to where the fish are and what they are eating, once we find a spot that is hot we keep it between our selves. On Thursday I had a hot top water bite going and the bait guys saw me hooking up and letting fish go and they ran over and all started casting there 4 ounce sinkers and bait and reeling and casting over and over, wich drove the fish off. Thursday there were about 10 guys with bait in that hole, and no fish. I am heading out to the spot from last night, I landed 12 I am trying to get a 20 fish day........... On another note, I noticed that the bait guys were catching alot of 10 to 15 inch stripers. They were releasing them it just seemed wierd that those little fish are in the ocean right now.

Double_D
05-24-2009, 11:58 AM
That was a very good report with out giving up your spot, as ghostfish_slayer told me there is a patten going on down that way, you guys figure it out and at the same time learn to read water your chances of catching fish will improve.....

tuna_head
05-24-2009, 12:53 PM
maybe i forgot how to read h2o went for the first time today my secret spot there was 10 or so fishin, cachin perch on blood worms,sand crabs on and on my secret spots no secret any more sounds like a song.In need of a new coffee grinder poor things gettin old mabe cuz its 30 35 years old

ghostfish_slayer
05-24-2009, 06:28 PM
lol tuna head.. the old man is going to have to get off the couch and go fishing.. come on show me how it's done.. tt31 outstanding catching.. you got bogarted though.. one reason i like to have a or a couple plugging friends with or close by to sew up the seams when the fish are in a hole.. i love to fish alone especially early am. the best but i have 2 friends that i love to plug with for the reason we work well together. even elbow to elbow and we are on the same page.. many times we start going separate ways like we don't know each other and keep our eyes on each other so if one of us hook up they other/s can get in on the action and help sew up the hole fast so it can't get bogarted.. those bait guys, don't let them fool you.. they have just about every hole sewn up with sand crab lines, 2+ rods/ sand spikes, 2 hooks each, evenly spread up and down the beach. sometimes covering a half mile or more on some beaches.. even well before the tides change just so they can be there.. they know what they are doing. you can't even squeeze in to speed fish top water or tins anywhere near them without them giving the stink eye.. yeah they might be friendly and say high and all but you can't fish there, not even just trying to locate fish covering prime water then moving on.. then you find fish they want to bogart the fish you found. sew up the hole fast and don't let them in to ruin it for you... if you are alone make sure they see you casting parallel to the beach a few times when they start walking up.. if that don't work be even more creative.. 50 lb braid 60 lb leader does the trick.. i look at them kind of like those certain people on the wharf that cast over your line from behind you while watching you fight a fish. or worse those same certain people that watch you get up off your bench to help your 10 year old, then move their whole family in on the bench and cast 3 rods over your line and rod you left out sitting there. then after you go are done and start walking back they act even more stupid. pick it up and ask who's rod it is,, oh sorry i didn't see it sitting there..

Pongo
05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Double D. Please tell me why you edited my post and deleted the spot I was fishing in. Those fish are moving constantly and you can probably catch a fish within a 5 mile area. No need to keep it a big secret. Everyone done here knows where they are.

Double_D
05-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Double D. *Please tell me why you edited my post and deleted the spot I was fishing in. *Those fish are moving constantly and you can probably catch a fish within a 5 mile area. *No need to keep it a big secret. *Everyone done here knows where they are.

I didn't edit your post, but since want to know why....read the link. :-*

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1211121503

Pongo
05-25-2009, 05:33 AM
Edited for content. Pongo if you don't like the rules . . . >:(

ghostfish_slayer
05-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Pongo i edited your post,, nothing personal just doing what i am supposed to do as a moderator here..

elgallo
05-26-2009, 05:45 AM
So bout any beach is a "spot" eh. *Ill keep that in mind next time around! *I note one of mine was edited also, and I understand.

What aint gonna happen again is the drama on the beach!...........

It's all about karma, I got my fair share this weekend, met a bunch of great new folks and made new friends. *May have lost some along the way also. *Can't do much about that though.

OOOOPs Fish ON!!!!!

Tight Lines

Pongo
05-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Sorry Ghost, I'll never do it again. I didn't realize you couldn't say where you caught a fish on the beach. I'll just tell people where I catch Trout, steelhead and stripers in freshwater since everyone does it on the freshwarter boards.

Thanks

ghostfish_slayer
05-26-2009, 03:07 PM
it is kind of a new rule on the striper board.. i think it came from posting specific locations on here then having others get mad when the spots started to get out of control. also others coming on here and starting problems over it. not just members read these reports,, many people do. we lost a few good members over the last year due to problems related to stuff like that... like i said nothing personal.. i kind of like the new rule.. i also liked reading your report even though i edited it for the rule.. i especially liked it since i live here. i have been watching trying to put them on a pattern of the bay this year and the big numbers that were here and left.. i am hoping they will make it back since they have been pretty much working back a couple days later every week for the last few months.. if i am right and they don't just stay on bait south they should be just about on their way back now and i hope to intercept them somewhere in the limited time i have over the next couple days..