PDA

View Full Version : Fishing waters of Santa Cruz..

cameraguyfresno
04-30-2009, 02:14 PM
What should I expect? Newbie at saltwater fishing other than a charter down in LA.

FishingTone
04-30-2009, 02:39 PM
tomorrow is rockfish opener for monterey and santa cruz county so you're wide open for every species that swim there except for salmon a few rockies that can not be taking. *there are stripers being caught there around this time of the year too i hear but, the locals will not post about it.

put_em_back
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Some of the first Stripers of the year are usually caught in Santa Cruz and south.

You can fish a lot of different lures like hair raisers, pencil poppers, spoons, or my one favorites....Yozuri Mag Minnows. I like a 10 to 11 ft long spinning rod with braided line, but many people like conventionals and mono....or spinners with mono.

It doesn't sound like you have much beach experience because you make reference to party boats, but if you can find a friend who knows what to look for, you can accelerate your learning curve.

You'll be looking for water that will hold fish to up your chances of catching instead of blind casting the entire beach. You should look for holes, troughs, drop offs and rips. You may be able to do web search and find description of beach features, but it is important to learn to read water.

cameraguyfresno
05-01-2009, 08:57 AM
Thanks so much for the information so far. Looks like the gf and I will be heading out Saturday night and fishing Sunday morning.

Where have you fished that is pretty good biting? How far should I go out?

I have freshwater reels/rod and lures...should I invest in some saltwater ones or are the yozuri, pencil poppers and spoons that I have minimally okay for now since I won't be saltwater fishing much anyways?

Thanks in advance.

Double_D
05-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Some of the first Stripers of the year are usually caught in Santa Cruz and south. *

You can fish a lot of different lures like hair raisers, pencil poppers, spoons, or my one favorites....Yozuri Mag Minnows. * *I like a 10 to 11 ft long spinning rod with braided line, but many people like conventionals and mono....or spinners with mono. *

It doesn't sound like you have much beach experience because you make reference to party boats, *but if you can find a friend who knows what to look for, you can accelerate your learning curve. *

You'll be looking for water that will hold fish to up your chances of catching instead of blind casting the entire beach. *You should look for holes, troughs, drop offs and rips. *You may be able to do web search and find description of beach features, but it is important to learn to read water.

Learning to read the water, that is so important, takes all the guess work out....Hey brotha, I was in Monterey today, did a beach recon, saw some nice holes forming you me and the other two bozo's need need to assault that beach.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/4729/kahuna38kk.gif

put_em_back
05-02-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm getting the camper shell sorted out this weekend in the new truck so I'll be ready. Have the cot and all the camping gear as well.....I can't wait.