PDA

View Full Version : Tactics for winter stripers

MinnowMagnet
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Deos anyone have any tactics for catching stripers in the winter. I have not seen any striper jump in my lagoon for nearly two months and have not had a hit since late november, I was thinking of changing tactics, any ideas? The striper are there and they can get out, there are not a lot of stripers, but most are good sized from 10-30lbs. The water temp in 48 degrees. I have a 8 foot skiff, but prefer to bait fish off the dock. Any ideas?

twoelk48
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I myself would either be rowing that skiff quitely or with an electric trolling motor dragging jumbo minnows very slowly and stealth like. I slaughter the stripers in winter using this approach at San Luis. Kent

drinkin_buddy
02-02-2009, 08:31 PM
I second the minnow idea. just move slow.

Rank_Rodrigo
02-08-2009, 09:18 AM
How do you guys get live bait?

drinkin_buddy
02-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Bait store... :D

Yaker
02-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Live bait isn't hard to find. Call a few bait shops. For striper any of the minnows work fine. The bigger the minnow you use for bait the larger average you will have for your striper. Mudsuckers are the primo bait but may be hard to find right now.

slowriprun
02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
What tactics are you using? The advice thus far given is pretty dead on. I've done a lot of lagoon fishing in the winter and you can kill em, but ya gotta slow it down. I too would be out on your skiff, late, late night/early, early morning. They will often sit just off a drop to ambush prey. Find that, catch mudsuckas and knock em.
David