PDA

View Full Version : Beachin for stripers

Jerrdirt
01-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey guys what's up. I'm from the SF Bay Area but has never tried surf fishing for stripers. Through out the year I've read a lot about how good the action can get. The questions is...would it be best to try north of the peninsula coast, i.e. Marin Coast or south Peninsula Coast i.e. Half Moon? Really don't need exact location, but if there's any advice that would be nice. I can also share some of the places I fish too. Thanks!

Fish-On707
01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
hello,
a good spot for surf fishing for stripers is china camp area along second st. off hwy 101 north on incomming and at the start of out going.

good luck!!!

Buddmann2000
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
From San Francisco's Bakers beach, ocean beach all the way down to Pacifica are good areas. Good luck.

Jerrdirt
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Right on guys for the info. I've heard lots of good stuff about China Camp. As for the beaches are there any particular live baits I should use or should I just plug.

Buddmann2000
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Right on guys for the info. I've heard lots of good stuff about China Camp. As for the beaches are there any particular live baits I should use or should I just plug.

I usually use sandcrabs that you can catch right on the beach. Hook two to four sandcrabs on a hook and cast. If you can catch one that has eggs on them is a plus. Stripers love those sandcrabs. I usually catch quality size fish with that set-up.
Good luck

Jerrdirt
01-20-2009, 07:24 PM
I would think pileworms and ghost shrimp would work too since all those are native. Idk, we'll have to give it a shot this summer and see. Man I can't wait. I'm psyched!

Fish-On707
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
As far as bait is concern, you should get some live grass shrimp as well as ghost, the type of rig we use are sliding sinker method w/ 5/0 gama or owners. 4-6oz bullet and or pyramid weight is good for casting. hope this info helps you land the big one.

Jerrdirt
01-22-2009, 05:04 PM
As far as bait is concern, you should get *some live grass shrimp as well as ghost, the type of rig we use are sliding sinker method w/ 5/0 gama or owners. 4-6oz bullet and or pyramid weight is good for casting. hope this info helps you land the big one.

Grass will work well too. Any preference on the tide? I read that if there was a minus tide, the bass tend to leave the bay for the beaches. True or false? I think it had something to do with the water flow.

drinkin_buddy
01-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Never heard of that before...I would like to know too.