PDA

View Full Version : Metal Lip Swimmers

fxdhog
05-24-2008, 07:18 AM
Hello all,
This is only my 2nd surf casting striper season. *I started out using mainly bucktails/hair raisers and sometimes Bombers. *

I recently started using metal lip swimmers made by Tattoo and Gibbs. However, I find it difficult to control them in the rough surf around my "backyard" (Pacifica beaches). *

Does anyone use metal lips a lot in the Bay Area surf? *If so, any suggestions or success hooking stripers with them? *I know metal lips are popular in the east coast but haven't seen a whole lot being used in the west coast.

I currently use a discontinued G Loomis 1-piece, 9'6" surf rod 3/4 to 1 1/2 ounce lure with a Penn Sargus spinning reel spooled with 14# Fireline.

Thanks (salamat)!

sorry had to edit your link to tattoo.

Double_D
05-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Welcome Mellow Yellow,

I fish metal lip Swimmers/ Pikes a lot but the conditions have to be right, a little rock hopping and some climbing gets me to a couple of idea locations...this is a photo of a spot I fish Pikes only, the surf conditions were rough the day I took this photo but just imagine what it would be like on a calm day.

a Pike hole I like to fish.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5416/im000711jr9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8357/im000712og6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I don't care for the metal lip swimmers you buy off the shelf, most don't do a good job sealing them and they get water logged, but Tattoo's are ok....IMHO.

fxdhog
05-24-2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the reply and pics Double_D. *I think I know that "spot" *;)

PaCiFiCa_Rd
05-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I throw pikies and cigar plugs all the time... you gotta throw everything

ratss427
05-26-2008, 06:39 PM
as far as metal lips.pikies are the way to go. :D

Sportyguy66
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Most of the guys who do throw Wood out in the Surf are throwing plugs over 2 ounces closer to 3 ounces. Your gonna have to get a Bigger Stick to throw some Big Lumber if you want to fish wood out there

GT
07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
I agree with Mr. Sport. If you're going to throw the lumber, you need to upgrade the stick. A good one to consider is the GLoomis SUR1266S.

As far as swimmers go, the best I've seen is the FIXTER Pikie. You can see them for sale on the big auction site once in a while or you can beg DD for one.

Of the people who use Pikies, what percentage of your catches are from the rocks versus the sand?

ratss427
07-15-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree with Mr. Sport. *If you're going to throw the lumber, you need to upgrade the stick. A good one to consider is the GLoomis SUR1266S.

As far as swimmers go, the best I've seen is the FIXTER Pikie. You can see them for sale on the big auction site once in a while or you can beg DD for one.

Of the people who use Pikies, what percentage of your catches are from the rocks versus the sand?
GT,this year i must be honest .and,say i have no fish on metal lips(pikies).yet. :(but,for me .in the past .its been 99% rocks.1%sand.

tomaurand
07-16-2008, 06:21 AM
As far as swimmers go, the best I've seen is the FIXTER Pikie.
If you like his pikies, you will LOVE his cigar plugs. ;)

GT
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
If you like his pikies, you will LOVE his cigar plugs. * ;)

No doubt Tom! I'm sure they're fish magnets! You got a picture of one?

Double_D
07-16-2008, 07:33 AM
the word around the beach is Johnny Rock popped a pig off the rocks, you know he likes Fixter Pikies.... 8-)

GT
07-16-2008, 07:43 AM
GT,this year i must be honest .and,say i have no fish on metal lips(pikies).yet. :(but,for me .in the past .its been 99% rocks.1%sand.

Thatís what I thought. *Iíve rarely seen anyone on the sand throwing Pikies or Cigar plugs. *Itís a rock hopperís plug mostly I guess. I only bring it out when Iím on the rocks. Like you, this year all my catches have been on the sand and none on swimmers or poppers thus far. *Iíll have to get one on wood soon!

tomaurand
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
If you like his pikies, you will LOVE his cigar plugs. ;)

No doubt Tom! I'm sure they're fish magnets! You got a picture of one?

I'll try to remember to take a pic of one when I get home tonight.

put_em_back
07-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Its not a plug only/mostly for the rocks. Guess what the maker typically fishes... Yes, he used to fish a lot of rocks, but hes' moved to fishing a lot of sand.

2 years ago I was pencil popping and hooked up, an guy came running down the beach with an old glass rod and giant pikie and launched that thang. He worked the plug only 5 or 6 ft and hooked up......on the sand. You just need to find the water suitable to fish metal lips.

Thatís what I thought. Iíve rarely seen anyone on the sand throwing Pikies or Cigar plugs. Itís a rock hopperís plug mostly I guess. I only bring it out when Iím on the rocks. Like you, this year all my catches have been on the sand and none on swimmers or poppers thus far. Iíll have to get one on wood soon!

GT
07-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey PEB, what would you consider prime Pikie conditions?

put_em_back
07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I can't cast them very well so I'll pull them out when the wind is down. I like water that isn't too big so the plug stays right on top without tumbling a lot when the waves come. You can crank them down when the wave comes to keep them from tumbling down the breaking wave and let them pop back up on the backside. If there are too many waves, you don't get to keep the plug on the surface much and thats what I really am after.

Absolute favorite would be a small near shore trough that I can cast over and work the pikie/round head/bevel head/cigar over. Next would be a nice rip.

Hey PEB, what would you consider prime Pikie conditions?