PDA

View Full Version : Beach Stripers

goingfishing
04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Sat evening fished the Incoming tide last few hours till sunset. *Did not catch anything but the guy next to me got an 8 Pound Striper. *It was that beautifully warm day with 1000's of people on the beach from cliff house on down....everyone very friendly...any other reports of Stripers showing up in the Beach Stretch?

FishinRaiders
04-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I know of a couple small stripers caught south of Ocean beach

goingfishing
04-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Lets get this party Started.....261 views ofthis post and not a single Striped Bass caught off the CliffHouse to Pacifica Stretch caught yet?? Come on ...... I get I can get them in the Bay :o

Double_D
04-24-2008, 03:19 AM
I'm going on a road trip for work, so when I get back I'm going to post a sticky thread about why were not going to be naming exact fishing spots at the beach just post a general location or better yet, no location at all........have fun and good luck out there. 8-)

GT
04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
What? You’re not going to give up your hot spot DD so I can harvest it out? Come on, I thought I was your friend? :)

As for goingfishing’s request for intel on the beach, there has been fish being picked up but not in bunches. Most guys who fish the beach regularly don’t post because of the fear that their honey hole will be overtaken by lurkers. I give you props for sharing the info you did on your post.

FishinRaiders
04-24-2008, 07:55 AM
when you think about it..there is no real honey or secret hole on the beaches..fish move around all the time..some resident fish stay down on the surf all the time..

Double_D
04-24-2008, 08:03 AM
What? You’re not going to give up your hot spot DD so I can harvest it out? Come on, I thought I was your friend? :)

As for goingfishing’s request for intel on the beach, there has been fish being picked up but not in bunches. Most guys who fish the beach regularly don’t post because of the fear that their honey hole will be overtaken by lurkers. I give you props for sharing the info you did on your post.

*;D......No more parking lot where I like to fish.....a long walk just got a whole lot longer.......when we hook up, pack less gear and more drinking water. ::)

h00kie
04-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Which begs the question and I hate to be the one asking it: Why the need for an exclusive Saltwater Striper Board if most guys will not post about their saltwater trips?

GT
04-24-2008, 08:36 AM
when you think about it..there is no real honey or secret hole on the beaches..fish move around all the time..some resident fish stay down on the surf all the time..

I agree that fish move on all the time but they do congregate around certain structions and holes as the tides rises and falls. I guess folks don't want to see the area they caught fish the day before with 10 times the amount of people pounding it the next several days. It's like a surfer's mentality when the surf is up.

metalmouth
04-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey guys. The mods concerns are valid here. The agreement was to have a board to discuss fishing methods and time at the surf without going into the specifics of where the fishing was being done. Last month we had over 1.5 million hits on this web site. With numbers such as these the need to protect the resources became an overriding concern. Double D will lay out his plan to not allow spot burning when he gets back from his trip. Until then you have to keep in mind the huge numbers of visitors that read what ever you print here. ;)

Thanks,

MM
Global Moderator

h00kie
04-24-2008, 09:33 AM
I agree about the validity of the mods' concern about protecting spots, I do it too. I'm just dishearted, for a lack of a better word, that I am unable to read and live vicariously through other's fishing adventures.
Don't get me wrong, I've been pounding the surf all year long but I crave a good reading when I'm not decked out in my waders. With that said, I should try to post about my trips if I expect to read about someone else's. I'll just wait until DD's & gf_s' plans are laid out.

So goingfishing, it appears that there willl be a party after all. But it will be more like a sitdown tea party without any rah-rah's ;)

goingfishing
04-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Well at least we got the conversation started....I get a good laugh each years at how protective some folks are about spots.....every board is different..all good folk and we all have an occasional attitude...or egomania...I asked the question over on pier fishing how much of a decline in Stripers there is since 1975....a variety of responses...I guessed 75% decline...Ken J who runs the site suggests 95-98% decline.

I consider these board like a friendly conversation of a fellow fisherman on the beach....have yet to find on on the beach who does not share the wealth of Info..sad news that it is

MB_Kevin
04-24-2008, 09:35 PM
*;D......No more parking lot where I like to fish.....a long walk just got a whole lot longer.......when we hook up, pack less gear and more drinking water. ::)

What I have not gone down there lately. What happened? :-/

Double_D
04-25-2008, 03:18 AM

What I have not gone down there lately. *What happened? *:-/

The ocean is taking it back....mother natures way at getting back at us. ;D

FishinRaiders
04-25-2008, 12:14 PM
If you don't believe how much erosion and beach loss has gone on since the 1940's and 1950's go into Nicks In Paciifca and look at the old photos of how big Rockaway Beach was

goingfishing
04-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Anyone heard of Bait and switch? read the topic ::)

h00kie
04-29-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey guys. The mods concerns are valid here. The agreement was to have a board to discuss fishing methods and time at the surf without going into the specifics of where the fishing was being done. Last month we had over 1.5 million hits on this web site. With numbers such as these the need to protect the resources became an overriding concern. Double D will lay out his plan to not allow spot burning when he gets back from his trip. Until then you have to keep in mind the huge numbers of visitors that read what ever you print here. *;)

Thanks,

MM
Global Moderator

Is DD still chasing a school of striper in an undisclosed location?

Crass
04-29-2008, 07:13 PM
so what are you guys pitchin right now? Bucktails/harraisers? swimbaits? i havent done much striper fishing on my side of the peninsula.. some pointers would rock.. help a youngin out! :P im gonna give bucktails a try and just work the beach from one way to the other.. but im not sure on what size i should pick up.

fissssh
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM

Yep, that would be my reason not to post :-X

GT
04-30-2008, 07:09 AM
Hey Crass, throw 1/2oz to 1o/z bucktails and work the holes. You'll eventually run into the stripes.

Crass
04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
thanks!

goingfishing
05-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Was talking with the lady who runs Gus's bait and Tackle on Balboa....she has not heard of much happenning out on the Beaches for Stripers yet....One of these days I said.....Not if it is like last year she replied....not too optimistic about the Striper Season ...Note that is a 5 mile stretch of beach..enough to go around...what do you guys think...anything worth writing about showing up on the beach?

Getting to be that time, so no spot naming,sorry for the edit......the beach may be five miles long but the good holes that have formed at that time may be only 25 yards wide

goingfishing
05-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Things are warming up in the area....no pun intended for the next few days...limits are being reported more frequesntly in the area...not hot but better....

How about your Folks?

GT
05-12-2008, 01:36 PM
Glad to hear the beach is producing some fish. The bass are chomping in the bay right now, especially this month due to the salmon smolt releases. Fish and Game is releasing 20 million smolts this month.

Thanks for the report goingfishing!

ratss427
05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
with the warm weather.and relatively higher tides.some more fish should be flushed out to the suds!!! :D

GT
05-15-2008, 07:34 AM
You should be getting into them Ratss427. The tides are right and the winds have calm down. I'd be there if I weren't butt chasing. See you soon on the sand!

MontanaN8V
05-15-2008, 01:23 PM
What is so special about not telling spots on this thread? Kinda selfish don't ya think? The other boards share information, and as for visitors reading posts, if good info is posted, they will be more apt to join. Just my opinion, just not into the premadona crap.

fissssh
05-15-2008, 07:36 PM
If we catch fish at Morri's in Pacifica, then the location should be omitted and just Pacifica should be used. Remember catching a fish today is not a guarantee you will tomorrow, just a possibility. Fish move up and down the coast constantly. Going to fish at Pacifica or Ocean Beach leaves a lot of coastline, naming a certain spot, (Trailer park, Cliff House) is a burn. In this day and age some body driving down the road spots parked cars and investigates and finds a bunch of people with long poles is a dead give away and a cell phone call away to their buddies, it's only human. If we don't fish responsibly today, we will only be reminiscing about it tomorrow. Think first before you post, you are not preserving your Honey Hole, but every ones ability to catch fish in the future. Remember, "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

Double_D
05-15-2008, 08:10 PM
What is so special about not telling spots on this thread? Kinda selfish don't ya think? *The other boards share information, and as for visitors reading posts, if good info is posted, they will be more apt to join. Just my opinion, just not into the premadona crap.

if yeah don't fish the surf you won't understand.

FishinRaiders
05-16-2008, 06:55 AM
Before it was cell phones everyone had a CB radio in the truck and would let everyone else know where the guys where and the fish where being caught..

MontanaN8V
05-16-2008, 07:01 AM
I see your point, I do fish the surf, and just think it is counter productive to what we do on this forum, which is help others, answer questions, and build friendships. Might think about a board that says "I caught one, can't tell ya where"

GT
05-16-2008, 07:03 AM
Who knows guys; in the near future I could probably scan all the beaches via satellite real-time and see where all you guys are plugging. Talk about everyone being paranoid, especially in the East Coast.

fbanaria
05-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Is Mussel Rock or the Stairs the place to meet at? :)

The place to meet at is anywhere from Baker's Beach in the north to Santa Cruz in the south, depending on the season from year to year. *Generally speaking, once they go out the Golden Gate, they move in a southerly direction in the summer and move back north into the Golden Gate in the fall.

Daly City and Pacifica's beaches, including the ones you mentioned, are just 2 of their stopping points in this southerly migration in the summer and northerly migration in the fall.

goingfishing
05-16-2008, 04:31 PM
LOL Now this thread title has been changed by you know who........LOL I think some of the Striper fishermen are getting as pananoid about spots on the beach asthe Gold miners back in the day must have gotten about their claims.......I think the next trend on this board will be to talk on code........ROFL laughing.this place is getting sily

goingfishing
05-16-2008, 04:36 PM
the word that was removed from the title of the thread was Ocean....How funny is that...watch out Guys who posted today...the word Police will be pouncing any moment.....are the Moderators Pro Staln???

Double_D
05-16-2008, 05:51 PM
I knew when I agreed to moderate this thread last fall, this was going to happen with the new members posting....if it gets out of hand I'll NUKE this thread.

Double_D
05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I see your point, I do fish the surf, and just think it is counter productive to what we do on this forum, which is help others, answer questions, and build friendships. *Might think about a board that says "I caught one, can't tell ya where"

Yes help others......by helping them to learn how to read water, looking for structure,learning to use tides to your advantage,where and when striper's might be present, fishing equipment and using other Internet tools like surfline for surf and tide conditions....not by posting catch fish here on line and a spot gets over run.

Come on guys I had to learn this the hard way.......I used to be the biggest spot burner around, then I found religion.....

metalmouth
05-16-2008, 06:05 PM
If you don't like the rules of this special board which include not posting locations, you don't have to post here. If you continue to break the rules your posting privileges will be removed from all the boards. This was the agreement with our Surf Striper fishing members when the board was set up. I hope the rules can be followed as they will not be open for debate.

MM
Global Moderator

fissssh
05-16-2008, 08:03 PM
If you don't like the rules of this special board which include not posting locations, you don't have to post here. If you continue to break the rules your posting privileges will be removed from all the boards. This was the agreement with our Surf Striper fishing members when the board was set up. I hope the rules can be followed as they will not be open for debate.

MM
Global Moderator

WORD

Mr._Striper
05-17-2008, 10:14 AM
You know DD, you cant teach an old dog new tricks. They will have to learn the hardway.

Guys, I grew up on the beaches. Trust me, spot burning only takes away from YOU. When I myself use to spot burn I'd might catch 100-200 stripers a season. Sence I've learned to keep my fishing to just a few friends and myself my #'s went up to 500-1800+ stripers a season. Just remember.....Mumms the word.

metalmouth
05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Here is how the board was proposed to the mods. We figured if we could move away from spot naming and focus on the lures, lines, rods, water reads and such it would bring together the people who participate on this board. The rest would have something to read but wouldn't be slamming a spot that they haven't spent the time earning. I know these guys and if you participate and have the gear and ask the right questions the pm's and invitations will come. If you are looking for a free ride, maybe the trout board would better suit your needs. ;)

MM/Don

MB_Kevin
05-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree with the rule. It got crazy at the beach a few years back when everyone was posting about spots. You would get there and there would be people standing in rows casting over each other. If you are really into it and it shows here like MM said members will share info I'm sure.
If it is a big lake like berryessa or something I don't mind telling about it because there is room to fish and that is what it is there for. I recently found a small pond near my house that is quiet and clean and in a small neighbor hood. I drove by it for years and never even knew it was there. Hardly anyone fishes it. If I was to post about and everyone was to start hiking down there and fishing (possibly littering/being noisy) I'm sure the neighbors would complain and they would stop allowing fishing. Sometimes it is better to keep some places off the Internet.

ratss427
05-18-2008, 05:24 PM
headed out p-town today.surf was fishable but, a bit high.water was very dirty though.....but,saw ,some bird action . ;)

Jigster
05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
The place to meet at is anywhere from Baker's Beach in the north to Santa Cruz in the south,
[/quote]

So is Santa Cruz the Southern most point (roughly) of their migration? I'm asking because we're going camping a Big Sur next month and just wanted to know if I would be wasting my time looking for Stripers there. Otherwise I'll head North or target something else.

Thanks,
J

Double_D
05-20-2008, 07:40 PM
The place to meet at is anywhere from Baker's Beach in the north to Santa Cruz in the south,

So is Santa Cruz the Southern most point (roughly) of their migration? *I'm asking because we're going camping a Big Sir next month and just wanted to know if I would be wasting my time looking for Striper's there. *Otherwise I'll head North or target something else.

Thanks,
J[/quote]

Striper's have been caught as far south as San Diego and Mexico.....But if I was camping in Big Sir I would drive about 30 min. north and you would have a better shot at fish...sin coast fishes the south bay beaches a lot, maybe he will chime in.

Jigster
05-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks DD. I just want to put a line in the surf with the kids during our camping trip at the end of June. I don't want a spot but a beach within driving distance from Big Sur that would increase our odds would be great. :)

J

Sin_Coast
05-22-2008, 08:37 AM
[quote author=Jigster link=1208400708/30#44 date=1211328140] sin coast fishes the south bay beaches a lot, maybe he will chime in.[/b]
Look at DD playing coi.....you know those beaches just as well as I do brother.
You will not catch any stripers in Big Sur. They do roam up and down the coast following the bait....but I have only once heard of stripers being caught down there, and it was at Pfeiffer beach by a guy perching. He supposedly caught 5 keeper-sized stripers that day.

You should consider fishing for rockfish or perch if you're in Big Sur (send me a PM for gear+locations). But if you really want to try for stripers, drive back up to Seaside or Marina. Pick a beach and work your way to the north. Need to cover at least 2 miles of sand to be successful.
Good Luck!

Jigster
05-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks Sin Coast,

Actually, we'll be fishing Pheiffer Beach since we're camping close by. Sounds like perch and rockfish for us there too and a trip up the coast for Stripers. PM sent.

J

Double_D
05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
[quote author=Jigster link=1208400708/30#44 date=1211328140] sin coast fishes the south bay beaches a lot, maybe he will chime in.[/b]
Look at DD playing coi.....you know those beaches just as well as I do brother.
You will not catch any stripers in Big Sur. They do roam up and down the coast following the bait....but I have only once heard of stripers being caught down there, and it was at Pfeiffer beach by a guy perching. He supposedly caught 5 keeper-sized stripers that day.

You should consider fishing for rockfish or perch if you're in Big Sur (send me a PM for gear+locations). But if you really want to try for stripers, drive back up to Seaside or Marina. Pick a beach and work your way to the north. Need to cover at least 2 miles of sand to be successful.
Good Luck!

;D......I'll be down your way soon to see customers.....armed with surf fishing gear and golf clubs. ;)

Steelyhead
05-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys! I'm fairly new to Fishsniffer. Glad I found this site. I live in the East Bay (Antioch/Oakley) and really would like to take a sick day once in a blue moon and come fish the surf. I was born in SF and grew up in the Sunset District. I used to fish as a kid with my Grand Dad but I moved away when I was 12 and the city is so different now. I'd like to get a good idea of the equipment to use off the beach (and some of the varieties of fish I can get besides striper). I have not fished a sandy bottom beach in a very long time.
I have an old 10' spinning rod/reel and I also have a couple 7' & 8'+ conventional setups. I'm a fairly good fisherman when it comes to any other type fishing and I have gear for most occasions.
I like to pack lite so I need to know the best lures to bring (or Bait) and the best tide to catch so I can try to plan a trip. I'd be flying solo if anyone was interested in meeting up. If it helps I would be planning to fish north of Pacifica.

Many thanks.
S

Crass
05-29-2008, 10:02 PM
hey man, im in Pacifica. just went out today for em.. saw a bunch of other anglers. Right now... Plugs good, north P-Town and above, also good! swimmies dont seem to pitch out far enough from the beach, atm.

PM me if youre down to meet up one of these days.. just gimme a heads up!

goingfishing
06-07-2008, 05:29 PM
Had to get my surf fix today...Something about being out on the surf whether I catch anything..the weather was great...sunny and warm.......today was a no...did more scouting that anything....from Pacifica to Ocean beach was like a washing machine....lots of dirt kicked up....I was amazed how much erosion there was at the Apartments...the bird diving way out reminded me of last year when much of the action was past casting range.....hopefully they will come in and scour the beaches for sand crabs.......anybody catching ;Danything/????? or have people just become to afraid to share their good news>????

FishinRaiders
06-08-2008, 05:29 AM
The ocean has been a washing machine..with a lot of sea lettuce..last week it was flat calm and clean..nice water just a lot of sea lettuce..The last day I was out was last Tuesday and it has been a wash out since

Gale force winds the other day..Ocean still looks nasty this am

plus the water looks muddy

Farrier_Frank
06-08-2008, 05:45 AM
With some free time yesterday I checked out the beach at Moss only to find rough surf and the wind blowing. Instead, I walked to the end of the jetty to see if anyone was catching anything only to be soaked by a rogue wave and spent the next hour or two drying out while watching a herd of several hundred seals mating on the harbor beach.... I did manage to catch a great bowl of cippino at Phil's so all was not lost. 8-)

The wind seems to be down today so I'll probably be on one of those beaches; casting and wearing more paint off my lures. ;)

Farrier_Frank
06-09-2008, 06:02 AM
This has to be the slowest moving board.... ever!! :-/

I went back out yesterday with a couple of the local boys and fished the last three hours of the incoming. We started tossing lures with nothing to show for it. Most of the other guys switched to bait and started catching perch and a few small, really small stripers. I stuck to tossing lures, probably because I'm determined to get my moneys worth out of them, and came up empty. The next chance I have to fish the surf is next Saturday, and then it's back to the mountains for kokes and macks. I'll be working back here on the coast July 17th thru the 27th so if any of you want to hook up and show me where the stripers are - and how to catch them - shoot me a PM. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

ghostfish_slayer
06-09-2008, 05:55 PM
fridays wind and swell pretty much turned the surf to crap. it was windy pretty much all weekend and the swell was still up. it didn't change untill today. it is still a little dirty but the wind and swell laid down and the bait started to show up closer to the beach today. i bet tomorrow the line sides and the halis will move back in and they will be caught.. i fished saturday morning it got real low and big swell dirty. i didn't even bother fishing the evening. the wind was howling and the flags were whipping just like they were when i was on the beach friday night. super dirty water. i took a peak on sunday but i decided to just go home. i fished all day today and the conditions were fishable but still recovering. i bet tomorrow it will be prime. the tide is perfect for the evening today. the bite has been crack of dawn on the outgo for the last week but the conditions went to crap friday.

tuna_head
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
tides,bait,water, looks good all we need are the fish to show

Double_D
06-21-2008, 05:05 AM
I caught 5 stripers today on a beach somewhere in North America but I can't be specific about what coast. *I hope that was vague enough for you guys.

Welcome to the fish Sniffer, I think, ::) there is a reason why we spot burn and I hope some day you will figure it out. ;)

FishinRaiders
06-21-2008, 06:08 AM
went out last night again..nothing..stayed out from about 7 till about 1:30..nada

fxdhog
06-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Was out last night too from 10pm to 2am in Pacifica. *Water was very calm but no action, except for a bonfire/fireworks party south of the pier..probably scared off the fish >:( *

FishinRaiders
06-21-2008, 09:40 AM
no bait no birds no nothing..

goingfishing
06-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Out at a very nice well know pool for Stripers today...At the rusty hook all they say is follow the birds........perhaps we should say follow the surfers....some of those women on boards are hot...anyway.....reports from surfers say that nice schools are now all along the beach........reporting at the top of the water...and down deeper......out as far as the sirfers..way out...but at the time of the tide they storm the beach and gorge on sand crabs...at l4east thats when I often get them

Steelyhead
06-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Out at a very nice well know pool for Stripers today...At the rusty hook all they say is follow the birds........perhaps we should say follow the surfers....some of those women on boards are hot...anyway.....reports from surfers say that nice schools are now all along the beach........reporting at the top of the water...and down deeper......out as far as the sirfers..way out...but at the time of the tide they storm the beach and gorge on sand crabs...at l4east thats when I often get them
So they are there? In numbers?? It's about time to call in sick one day :)

Farrier_Frank
06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I sure hope the stripers are still playing in the surf when I get back down there. My next work trip to that area (Monterey/Santa Cruz) starts July 17th so I got Saturday, the 19th, and Saturday, the 26th, to give it another try..... thank God for the perch; at least I get to see my rod tip wiggle. 8-)

GT
06-26-2008, 07:19 AM
The bass will be in that area FF. Just call a couple of the tackle stores before you head out and they'll give you a report.

FishingTone
06-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I went out Friday last week with my buddy and I was very surprise to see the most popular place and the usual fishing holes without a soul.
We walked about a mile in couple hours for a total body workout with nothings to report.
The legs and shoulder felt great the day after.
Hope the school of stripers hanging around Alcatraz head out to the surf soon.

goingfishing
06-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes it seems that foot traffic is way down on the beaches and piers this year.......we got plenty of fish...probably going to be much better than last years for stripers...Historic for Hallies in the bay...also number of posts are down on fishing sites...is this because of gas prices?? Are people fishing less?

Round trip to the beaches is 50 miles for me.....though those babes on surf boards are an extra reason to hit the surf

Double_D
06-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Yes it seems that foot traffic is way down on the beaches and piers this year.......we got plenty of fish...probably going to be much better than last years for stripers...Historic for Hallies in the bay...also number of posts are down on fishing sites...is this because of gas prices?? Are people fishing less?

Round trip to the beaches is 50 miles for me.....though those babes on surf boards are an extra reason to hit the surf

Fish are there you just need to know where to look to better your chances......people are hooking up, and yes everyone's keeping quiet for a very good reason this year. :-X

I'll give 1 Eel Punt floating popper 2 1/2 oz. to anyone who can give *me 2 good reasons why this year it is so important to keep quiet ...you guys have till Monday 7:00PM to get your answers in 8-)

Eel Punt popper in Bunker color
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7296/20080520mimtri0595ar2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Double_D
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
oops *::) ...The Bunker color plug is slightly used and smells like Striper ;D, I've got a new Eel Punt in Herring color to give away. ;)

Mr._Striper
06-26-2008, 04:43 PM
Does this mean I can play too? That plug would look better in my bag anyways ;)

ghostfish_slayer
06-26-2008, 05:22 PM
so the party boats don't back into the spots after reading the reports..

tuna_head
06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
the salmon fishmen are trollin off the beach

AnyH2oAnytme
06-26-2008, 07:14 PM
:o
1. DOES Mel's Reef sound vaguely familiar
2. So, on my day off nobody is fishing the stretch of beach my dogs like to run!!!

fissssh
06-26-2008, 08:30 PM
No salmon fishin and reduced rockfish season.

MB_Kevin
06-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Because if we keep it quiet...you will ask this question and we could win a cool lure :D

Double_D
06-27-2008, 04:52 AM
I would like you guys to go into a little more better detail 8-)

tomaurand
06-27-2008, 06:41 AM

Fish are there you just need to know where to look to better your chances......people are hooking up, and yes everyone's keeping quiet for a very good reason this year. :-X

I'll give 1 Eel Punt floating popper 2 1/2 oz. to anyone who can give me 2 good reasons why this year it is so important to keep quiet ...you guys have till Monday 7:00PM to get your answers in 8-)

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7296/20080520mimtri0595ar2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

1) Last year stripers returns were the lowest on record, add to that the High Island fish kill and the kills at the pumping stations we have very thin stocks of fish right now. Blow a spot, and the harvesters (this includes party boats backing up to the beaches, chumming the fish into a frenzy and filling the boat) will come out in droves and reduce our already dwindling stocks to the point of no return.

2) Lack of enforcement, The DFG is stretched really really thin, blow a spot, and you will see illegal activity that can be reported but nothing happens, can't tell you how many times I have seen guys catch two fish, leave the beach, throw them in a cooler only to return and poach two more fish. Or, guy catches his limit, keeps on catching and giving his fish to his friends down the line till everyone has a limit. Remember, boat limits don't freaking count on the sand.!!! When you have a limit, it is illegal to keep on catch and releasing. But it happens, and a lot of times, DFG cannot be reached.

However, as a side note, you can call the local police or sheriffs office, they will enforce DFG laws and will give out tickets.

OK, do you need my add to send the plug? ;)

Double_D
06-27-2008, 07:40 AM
So far great replies, I'll add two more prizes to make it Three so keep them coming, maybe we call all learn something with the replies were getting......have a good weekend guys and gals I'll post up the other two prizes I plan on giving away later......ghostfish and I will decide who wins what...sorry ghostfish you cant play. ;D

DD

FishinRaiders
06-27-2008, 08:12 AM
The Grand Prize is a fully loaded manfort..With A/C plumbing and Direct TV

tomaurand
06-27-2008, 12:16 PM
The Grand Prize is a fully loaded manfort..With A/C plumbing and Direct TV

Guess I better retract my post eh? ;D

goingfishing
06-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Share the wealth....the best places to fish that is.....there are GOOD fishing years and Bad fishing years for each species....I know some of the top fisherman in the bay area who were getting pessimistic about Hallies in the Bay...this year will go down as a record...God knows why...maybe is because of the depleted krill stocks off the coast....The last truly great years for Stripers was our El Nino Year...unless you want to go pack to the pre 1970 bonanzas...One could go down to the beach and scoop them up with bait poppers or hair raisers.......Its all about water supplies.....rainfalls amounts....diversions.......and now we are in a drought year...perhaps last years lousy striper fishing was simply an early manifestation of a drought year......But the number of people hitting the beaches is about people who love to fish...who will be out there in good and bad years.......though I have noticed the people on certain boards being less willing to share information.......sometimes referred to SB which is an ongoing discussion among posters.....no doubt there has been a general decline since the seventy's for obvious reasons...mainly the aquaduct...Ken at PF believes it is over a 95% decline since the glory days

ghostfish_slayer
06-27-2008, 06:48 PM
as for me when comes to stripers, i keep a few here and there. i don't feel bad doing it either.. my kids and i like to eat striper. i released most of last years striper catch. here is another question i will volunteer DD to give one more of his plugs away for. how many stripes are on each side of a striper.

FishinRaiders
06-28-2008, 08:11 AM
how many rows of stripes?

7 I think

either 6 or 7

fxdhog
06-28-2008, 03:26 PM

I'll give 1 Eel Punt floating popper 2 1/2 oz. to anyone who can give *me 2 good reasons why this year it is so important to keep quiet ...you guys have till Monday 7:00PM to get your answers in 8-)

1) Last year stripers returns were the lowest on record, add to that the High Island fish kill and the kills at the pumping stations we have very thin stocks of fish right now. *Blow a spot, and the harvesters (this includes party boats backing up to the beaches, chumming the fish into a frenzy and filling the boat) will come out in droves and reduce our already dwindling stocks to the point of no return.

2) Lack of enforcement, The DFG is stretched really really thin, *blow a spot, and you will see illegal activity that can be reported but nothing happens, can't tell you how many times I have seen guys catch two fish, leave the beach, throw them in a cooler only to return and poach two more fish. *Or, guy catches his limit, keeps on catching and giving his fish to his friends down the line till everyone has a limit. *Remember, boat limits don't freaking count on the sand.!!! When you have a limit, it is illegal to keep on catch and releasing. *But it happens, and a lot of times, DFG cannot be reached. *

However, as a side note, you can call the local police or sheriffs office, they will enforce DFG laws and will give out tickets.

OK, do you need my add to send the plug? *;)

I think its time that we, responsible surf fishermen, start to "police" our beaches. *If you see any poaching activity while you're out on the beach, maybe bring it to that individuals attention, without being confrontational of course ;)

Or...you can take the extra step to file a complaint with DFG's Cal-Tip program. *Plus, you may be rewarded some $$$$ to buy more plugs ;D *http://www.dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/caltip.aspx

Most seasoned surf fishermen already know the good spots. *If not, they'll eventually find out through "word of mouth" at the beach or from local tackle shops. *I think that "sharing the wealth" as far as good, general spots among surf fishermen is acceptable.

:D

sorry had edit that one, some of the party boats advertise here on the fish sniffer

goingfishing
06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
after that last post...see who can first name this show..."and hey...let's be careful out there" What show did that quote come from?

OUt sturgeon fishing a while back....heard a report of a guy taking off with an over sized sturgeon...when the guys on the pier tried to stop him.......he pulled out a gun

GT
06-30-2008, 09:28 AM
after that last post...see who can first name this show..."and hey...let's be careful out there" *What show did that quote come from?

OUt sturgeon fishing a while back....heard a report of a guy taking off with an over sized sturgeon...when the guys on the pier tried to stop him.......he pulled out a gun

You never know who's packing heat. Be careful who you confront and in what manner. Your life is more valuable than some poached fish!

fxdhog
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
You never know who's packing heat. *Be careful who you confront and in what manner. Your life is more valuable than some poached fish![/quote]

You are absolutely right! *Use your best judgement of character...

On a side note, I think I've mentioned this somewhere in this forum before - I was out with two other buddies at a Pacifica beach. *It was a week night. *We plugged the surf from about 9pm-midnight. *We saw this guy walking towards us from a distance. *When he got close enough, he shined a flashlight at us and low and behold, he was a DFG Warden!! *He made sure we had our fishing licenses and even checked our tackle. *He asked us if there was anyone else fishing on the beach and continued on with his patrol.

I've been fishing Pacifica beaches for years and that was the first time I encountered a DFG warden late at night, let alone a week night! *Hmmmm, I wonder if someone actually called DFG and requested for night patrols?? *Needless to say, I was really glad he was out there when you least expect it!

MontanaN8V
06-30-2008, 02:40 PM
I have called and gotten authorization to issue fish and game tickets before, but a lot of paperwork-inter agency jurisdiction. I carry a gun 100% of the time, for many reasons, but mostly for law enforcement. Not worth confronting someone, unless lots of people around, and have already notified authorities, and still do so with kit gloves.

Double_D
07-02-2008, 06:23 PM

1) Last year stripers returns were the lowest on record, add to that the High Island fish kill and the kills at the pumping stations we have very thin stocks of fish right now. *Blow a spot, and the harvesters (this includes party boats backing up to the beaches, chumming the fish into a frenzy and filling the boat) will come out in droves and reduce our already dwindling stocks to the point of no return.

2) Lack of enforcement, The DFG is stretched really really thin, *blow a spot, and you will see illegal activity that can be reported but nothing happens, can't tell you how many times I have seen guys catch two fish, leave the beach, throw them in a cooler only to return and poach two more fish. *Or, guy catches his limit, keeps on catching and giving his fish to his friends down the line till everyone has a limit. *Remember, boat limits don't freaking count on the sand.!!! When you have a limit, it is illegal to keep on catch and releasing. *But it happens, and a lot of times, DFG cannot be reached. *

OK, do you need my add to send the plug? *;)

Surf Hunter...you win, send my your address to recive your plug, you plug ho

tomaurand
07-03-2008, 06:30 AM
;) Thought you would like that reply. Hang on to the plug, I'll probably see you soon enough so save the postage.

tomaurand
07-03-2008, 06:55 AM
See, people (the party boats) watch reports, this is from the SF gates report (spot names removed although easy to get).

About striped bass: Happy Hooker skipper Jim Smith is talking to his surf-fisher friends, and the word Smith got from the south-side beaches this week is that the water color looks off and the bass really aren't concentrated in any great numbers. At XXXXXX on Tuesday, Smith heard a bass was landed and two, maybe three others hooked up. Truth or no, it's not enough to bring the Hooker out of the bay.

See, if they heard fishing was on, that boat would be in the surf in a heart beat.

ken_fishnfool
07-03-2008, 08:08 AM

Now that the prize has been awarded my answer is ""Cause you TOLD us to keep it quiet. And, see how it's working!" ;D ;D ;D

There's my two reasons... :-?

Double_D
07-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Now that the prize has been awarded my answer is ""Cause you TOLD us to keep it quiet. And, see how it's working!" ;D ;D ;D

There's my two reasons... :-?

It's working just fine...people are catching fish and so far from what I've heard no place has been over run, and people that fish he beach can't say the fish sniffer has been flaming spots on line. ;)

ken_fishnfool
07-05-2008, 11:33 AM
So do I win the chewed up, fish slimed Eel Punt, as a consolation prize??? (more chewed, more MOJO, don't ya know)

It's working!!!!! ::) :P

Ryan_O
07-14-2008, 10:33 PM
There are many good spots and many fish that have been caught. Metal has been working good, from latest reports from friends. The key is having friends to report.........