PDA

View Full Version : need help getting started in surf fishing

juskickinit
06-13-2008, 08:41 PM
so im new to surf fishing. what kind of rod and reel should i get? looking for something light and durable. i was looking into the shimano stradi ST4000FI would that work? what kind of line should i get braided or mono and how my LB test? and whats the best lures to get? pictures and info would be great so i have a idea.

thx -juskickinit

Double_D
06-14-2008, 04:40 AM
Just starting out......throw buck tails/hair raisers 1/2 to 3/4 oz./Kastmasters to 2 oz., look at a Lami Surf King rod(I don't like them, I've broke two in half)or the new Shakespeare Ugly Stick surf rod, and your ST4000 pair it with a 10' foot rod........and buy this book, it will answer lots of questions....

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1206026441

juskickinit
06-14-2008, 08:11 AM
any places i could purchase that book besides online? like barnes and nobles

FishinRaiders
06-14-2008, 08:44 AM
go to the beach and watch the other guys..guys are either fishing hair raisers or bucktails or kastmasters like Double D said

Or you can bait fish with pile worms or anchovies..

ghostfish_slayer
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
you might check out the DBLUE 50-60 dollar surf rods at that auction place.. even some of those who are well past starting out use them. i am thinking about getting myself one and i wrap my own rods.. that stradic 4000 is a decent reel.. i would get a older stradic instead of the fi though.. i have had a few problems with my new 3000fi..

juskickinit
06-15-2008, 12:26 AM
ohh alright ill look into the DBLUE. any other rods that are good trying to find something for hair raisers (rod length and lure weight) and also a 11 ft rod for popers and and such and sugestions on poles?

Double_D
06-15-2008, 05:54 AM
ohh alright ill look into the DBLUE. any other rods that are good trying to find something for hair raisers (rod length and lure weight) and also a 11 ft rod for popers and and such and sugestions on poles?

OK, looks like your going all out.....a rod for working holes and trough's and one for putting metal and popper down range....... ;D
It's still your call, but I personally won't buy surf rods off the rack, they seem to brake in half wayyyyyyy to many times on me and they never do what you want them to......you need to explore your options for a custom surf rod......I own 4 custom surf sticks now and would never buy one off the rack, but you have to kind of know what you want before you have someone build you one, I personally like the Rainshadow brand blanks and some of the guys I fish with swear by Talon blanks .

FishinRaiders
06-15-2008, 07:22 AM
Also go back and read all the old posts..that will get you started..

juskickinit
06-15-2008, 11:41 PM
my friend was telling me that rainshawdow is a great brank rod but i cannot find any. any stores in the bay were they sell blanks or i have to order online? and a rod for holes and troughs what lure weight oz should it be. and also for the metals and popers.

haha yeah i am kinda trying to go all out so i have all the gear ready and not missing out on the action because of my gear

Double_D
06-16-2008, 05:24 AM
my friend was telling me that rainshawdow is a great brank rod but i cannot find any. any stores in the bay were they sell blanks or i have to order online? and a rod for holes and troughs what lure weight oz should it be. and also for the metals and popers.

haha yeah i am kinda trying to go all out so i have all the gear ready and not missing out on the action because of my gear

Early season fishing, fish are a lot closer than you think, I use a 9' rod and throw 1/2 up to 3/4 oz. buck tail/hair raisers if I'm not throwing top water.....read that book. ;)

ghostfish_slayer
06-16-2008, 06:22 AM
salmon/steelhead rods work well. i use a 10 foot, 10 - 20 fish eagle 2 for everything up to 2 oz.. i use my ambassadeur 6601 on it with 12 - 15 lb test. any reel that will hold close to 200 yards will work good and light enough to hike all day long. my surf rod is close to 11 foot. it's rated 1-4 oz 12-20 lb test and i use 2-3 oz on it, with a penn 704z and 50 lb braid with a 40 - 60 lb mono leader.. i think if you call rainshadow they can even make you a rod.. the rod rack is in the bay area and they carry pretty much everything you will need and they make rods too. the newer rainshadow/batson su1264 is rated 1-2 oz but they say it will throw 3 oz. the older one is the one i have and it's rated 1-4 oz and throws 3 oz no problem. i added 3 inches to the butt. i also have a 10 foot 1-4 oz american tackle surf rod and i kind of like it for 2 - 3 oz poppers and a su1386 that i liked for a couple days.. it broke and needs to go back..

C0BRA
06-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Yup you've already got some great advice. My first time plugging in the surf over 15 years ago, I brought the longest rod and biggest reel I had .... 12' Ugly Stick w/ a 7000 sized Daiwa spinning reel "loaded" with 40lb. mono. The combo felt like it weighed 15lbs. What a disaster that was! *;D After about 20 minutes of casting, with wind knots every other cast, I was done! My whole upper body was sore and couldn't muster up enough energy to cast more than 20'.

Fast forward to now, 90% of the time, I use a 9'3" 1 piece Rogue salmon rod, 1.2-4oz lure / 12-25lb line, paired with a Calcutta TE300 with 30 or 40lb braid. Sweet setup that allows me to cast anything up to 2oz all day. Anything more than that, I use a Lamiglas 11' Arra 1322 rated to 5oz / 15-30lb line with a Daiwa Powersurf 5000.

Basically it comes down to how much you fish and how much you want to spend. I'd venture to guess that most of the hardcore surf guys went through several combos until they found exactly what they wanted. I'd also bet that they'd tell you if they could do it all over again, they'd spend a little more money and do it right the first time.

With that said, none of the proper gear can replace time IN the surf, along with knowing where you should be throwing your lure and why *... like someone said earlier ... READ THAT BOOK! *;)

juskickinit
06-17-2008, 07:52 AM
haha alright thanks. im trying to look for that book i cant find it any stores would have it?

GT
06-19-2008, 08:54 AM
If you want factory stuff, go with the following:
Ron Arra 1084 spinning rod
Shimano Stradic 5000FG or Sustain 5000
30lb Sufix Braid
30lb Seaguar Leader
200 lb spro barrel swivels
, , 1 oz bucktails with twister tails
Super Strike little neck popper
pencil popper (Yo-Zuri surface cruiser)
Bomber minnow
1 oz Kastmaster
2 oz Mickey jig
waders (Simms)

This setup will get you some stripes on the beach!

juskickinit
06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
thanks everyone for all your advise and contributions. anything eles i should know about surf fishing?

MB_Kevin
06-20-2008, 09:06 PM
thanks everyone for all your advise and contributions. anything eles i should know about surf fishing?

If you get a chance to meet up with any of these guys here. That would be your best bet. I had gone out using there advice with no luck. One night DD talked me into going and fishing with them and I hooked up probably within 10 min with my first surf striper about 10#s. Ive gotten a few after that but that one was the coolest ;)

ghostfish_slayer
06-20-2008, 09:29 PM
yep MB we all hooked up that night..

MB_Kevin
06-20-2008, 09:34 PM
That was fun. I remember you had one hanging off your back. 8-)

Double_D
06-20-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm ready for a night commando raid like we did that night...... thats right we were all dragging fish up on the beach that night.......I remember MB beaching that fish, you sure had a big a$$ grin......and I remember looking to my right about a 100 yards and I could make out ghostfish silhouette in the dark battling that fish ;D 8-)

MB_Kevin
06-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I was Happy :D Let me know if you are heading out this way. I have a new reel with some Tuf-Line xp that I have not tried out on the surf yet. I tried it in the bay one day but I got it for the surf. I need to spend some time making leaders and dusting off my waders.

Sportyguy66
06-27-2008, 09:20 PM
OK, looks like your going all out.....a rod for working holes and trough's and one for putting metal and popper down range....... ;D
It's still your call, but I personally won't buy surf rods off the rack, they seem to brake in half wayyyyyyy to many times on me and they never do what you want them to......you need to explore your options for a custom surf rod......I own 4 custom surf sticks now and would never buy one off the rack, but you have to kind of know what you want before you have someone build you one, I personally like the Rainshadow brand blanks and some of the guys I fish with swear by Talon blanks .[/quote]

DD
Those Supposedl New Talon Wonder Stix your guys have been taughting are more than likey orginal G Loomis stuff before they Sold to Shimano but with a different label. You Know - Marketing ;)

From what I remember, Gary Loomis started off as Loomis Composite Industries, or LCI. He sold that off, and started G. Loomis on his own. While G. Loomis thrived, LCI dwindled, fell into bankruptcy and eventually re-organized under the Talon name.

GT
06-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Where do you guys buy the Talon blanks(stores or websites)? Do they have the lifetime warranty and no hassles policy like GLoomis? What is it about the Talon surf rods thats getting a few guys to sell off their Lamiglas and GLoomis rods? Is it lighter and stronger? If it is and it comes with a lifetime warranty, I'll get one built. If not, GLoomis and Lamiglas is how I'll roll. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]