PDA

View Full Version : Dinner Bell For Stripers-HAYDAYS

nogimmies
04-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Any reports yet from DFG when they plan on dumping the Salmon Smolts into the bay near Rodeo.
I know the last few years have been a haydays for striper action.
Get your Jigs,Roadrunners, Rebels, Rapalas , rods rigged cause when they do start dumping ---Hopefully they will!!! Get in on that action.
SAd thing is those bass are anhilating the salmon.

I would think that DFG could come up with a better way to release these smolts /fingerlings so they are not ambushed so fast by the awaiting stripers.
Maybe a floating barge type affair //Floating receiver and release them at various intervals in the straits, N. bay areas.
Seems like dumping in the same location just isn't a effective process.
Great for fishermen but bad for a dwindling and troubled resource.

What are your comments suggestions fellow anglers and also DFG personnel reading this.

goingfishing
04-24-2008, 11:48 AM
I heard the smolt dumping was stopped last year once the party boats caught on and started getting limits ofStripers in short periods...

not sure where they moved it to...barges sound good...though with the water resources board planning the new peripheral Canal again....they might have other priorities

AnyH2oAnytme
06-11-2008, 01:05 PM
They still unload at Rodeo along with other spots. They are now putting the smolts in pens then towing them out to be released. Striper are still hanging out, people getting limits. If you browse the dfg web you can find the dates and location.

Mr._Striper
06-11-2008, 04:23 PM
YEP BOYS, LET'S HURRY UP AND TRY TO WIPE THEM OUT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

Double_D
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
They still unload at Rodeo along with other spots. They are now putting the smolts in pens then towing them out to be released. Striper are still hanging out, people getting limits. If you browse the dfg web you can find the dates and location.

They were putting them in pens years ago and dragging it up to the Napa river and releasing them there...a couple of years ago the pen got destroyed by a winter storm, so it sounds like they are using the pen again.....

Years ago it would be just a few guys fishing it and couple DFG truck drivers, Dimpala,NorCalBangers,GT,Topshelf,Noodle Rod,DEMPSEY and my self fishing from shore all together never more than 15 people fishing....I saw Dimpala catch over 50 Striper's in three hours once, I was fishing right next to him..it was unbelievable, you could drive right out to where they dumped the fish back then.......

Then Surf City Anglers and a pay preview fishing forum NUKED! the spot on line, next thing you had was a free for all... the place got over run and naturally you get poaching and tons of garbage was left behind on the shore, the owners of the property said enough! and stopped all access........this is why you don't burn a good fishing spot.

And lets not forget the party boats started showing up three years ago after it got NUKED!

put_em_back
06-11-2008, 05:46 PM
In the mid 90s I used to fish on the Huck Finn out of Emmeryville when Art Robbie was capt and we made the run to Rodeo a few times to fish the "plant". It was easy to catch stripers and very upsetting seeing the salmon smolts being dumped in the tube and falling into the boiling water of stripers.

Art would get there a bit early and we'd be fishing chovies and swimbaits and not catching much. You'd see/hear the DFG truck hook up to the tube and Art would call the direction the black school of stripers would be coming from. It was cool seeing the black blob making its way along the shore. Apparently the stripers were familiar with the noise that the truck hooking up to the tube made and high tailed if for the drop/slaughter zone. Once the school got close, it was easy to hook up with live anchovies.

You wonder how many smolts actually made it through that mayhem. Its like dropping steaks in middle of a pack of hungry wolves.....how many steaks would be left in the end? I bet close to zero smolts made it back then so I thought it was great when they went back to the portable pen.

nitty917
06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
i did pretty good a few weeks back trolling, i just chased birds, drove by the birds and my fishfinder was blacked out, drove by and double hook ups all day, trolling deep divers.

bigeasy8240
06-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I was there trolling right along with the party boats. I made out like a bandit too! ;D

It's a total waste of money time and resource for DFG to drop the smolts in the bay like they do, but it's great for the fisherman. I'm just wondering who will be the first to get mowed down by Amtrac trying to catch a fish. :-?

I stop fishing and watched one fellow running like a bat out hell, pole in hand and tackle bag around his shoulder trying to beat the train. What a sight, fishing bonanza and near fatality in the making. What a great world we live in! I'm not complaining.