PDA

View Full Version : First Limit of 2008

FishinRaiders
03-28-2008, 02:17 PM
2 fish today in the surf..Fiesty schoolies about 6-7 lbs a piece..

Will add photos later..need to clean up and put stuff away before the Rain starts

Double_D
03-28-2008, 03:05 PM
good job....remeber 4 years ago it started early and didn't stop till October [smiley=banana.gif]

fissssh
03-28-2008, 05:13 PM
WTG Raiderman. ;)

Mr._Striper
03-28-2008, 07:57 PM
Ah chit, looks like I need to find time to get down there and see if I still got it.

Mr._Striper
03-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Wait a second..... What? No PM, no phone call??? :'(

GT
03-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Nice to know someone is kicking butt on the sand FishnRaiders. Well Done! So did you get the fish on wood, metal, or bucktails?

MB_Kevin
03-28-2008, 08:54 PM
Glad to hear it 8-)

Farrier_Frank
03-29-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the good news. I'll be back down there working the last week of April and the first week of May. Maybe I can time it right and get in on some of the surf action. 8-)

FishinRaiders
03-29-2008, 07:41 AM
white 1 oz hair raiser with a double worm trailer..

EastBayAngler
03-31-2008, 08:12 AM
WOOO_HOOOO!... ;D pics pics pics! ;)

SurfRider8
04-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Where is a good place to surf fish for stripers in the santacruz area?

Sin_Coast
04-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Where is a good place to surf fish for stripers in the santacruz area?
In the ocean....LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist! I've always liked Manresa and RDM up that way.
Good luck!
Guys been catching stripers consistently for the past month down here.

A_WET_DEAL
05-21-2008, 01:34 PM
FishnRaiders

What techniques do you use to reel in the hair raisers. is that a surface lure?

I have been throwing a kastermaster with a bucktail in the surf for the past 10 trips and no lucko. [smiley=baghead.gif]

[smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

FishingTone
05-21-2008, 02:08 PM
I think it time to get out and get some excise...I been chasing them Butts too long. [smiley=angling.gif]

Congratulation on the limit and Thanks for the reports FishnRaiders!!!

ghostfish_slayer
05-21-2008, 07:49 PM
for stripers just reel them in. use the waves and curent with the right weight, best is to have a slight belly in the line and little load on the rod tip with a slow and steady retrieve while the waves/curent pushes it in, close to but not dragging the bottom and feel for a tap tap then set up. for hali's do the same but dragging the bottom and add a few lift and drops in between.

FishinRaiders
05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
I normally fish like this..pick the spot on the beach where I start to fish make about 5-10 casts..reel slow the first time letting it bounce along the bottom..if the paint isn't getting scratched up your not fishing deep enough..ya your going to lose a Hair Raiser now and then..Then I change fast slow retrieve..then i move along the beach trying different holes..then I fish the whole way back..cast retrieve

One time I will reel really slow other times fast..I like to mix it up

A_WET_DEAL
05-23-2008, 08:13 AM
I am going to try that this weekend. Thanks for the advice fishnRaiders

I am using 12 pound line.

Need to get me some of those hair raisers! Whats a Hair Raiser [smiley=duh.gif]
Are they similair to bucktail jigs?

Have you tried Kast masters or Crippled Fish?

Or soft plastics? I have been throwing a 4 inch sardine pattern Fish Trap when not using the kastmaster. no luck on either.
[smiley=worm.gif]

FishinRaiders
05-23-2008, 08:25 AM
I notice the east coast guys call Hair Raisers Bucktail jigs..I have a few Bucktails that have the bigger jig head..

Kastmasters are awesome..

I used 12 lbs test but dropped down to 8..

A_WET_DEAL
05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
"I notice the east coast guys call Hair Raisers Bucktail jigs"

Noted! I am west coast fisherman. Hair Raiser it is! [smiley=wileecoyote.gif]

I am definitely going to give them a try. I am still working on my goal of catching a striper from the surf using lures this summer.

I notice most of the talk around here is about lures, what about the bait fisherman. I always see the guys out there with 12-foot rods sticking out of the sand, assuming its bait fishing. Are they going for the same species, stripers, hali.?

Thanks!

FishinRaiders
05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Lots of bait fisherman also..Mostly fishing for stripers and perch off the beaches..

most of the guys on the forum in the surf fish with hair raisers, mickey jigs or top water plugs

MB_Kevin
05-23-2008, 11:03 PM
I got my first surf striper on a hair razor but now am having most of my luck on a kastmaster.

fxdhog
06-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Hey guys,

Make sure you have your license DAY or NIGHT. *Four of us were pluggin' at a south Pacifica beach on a week night. At about 12:30AM, a CA Dept of Fish & Game warden showed up to check for licenses. *Three of us had them, not sure about the other guy.

I'm glad he was out there when you least expect it. *I've seen a couple of "law breakers" last season.

FishinRaiders
06-04-2008, 08:42 AM
at least the warden was out there..

I have seen a couple of them down around Pacifica lately

Even got asked to show my license to a San Mateo County Sheriff the other day..

First time I got asked for a license check in ages.

Farrier_Frank
06-04-2008, 07:22 PM
I was fishing one early spring day just north of Moss. The weather sucked but it was the only day I had so I went fishing. I had the beach to myself, the only fool casting in the wind. And out of nowhere I turned around and was staring at two green suits. Shook me up at first because I never saw them coming... Glad to know they were doing their job, though.

If things work out I'll be out there this Saturday or Sunday so if you see a guy with a big, grey goatee don't sneak up behind me.... especially if you're wearing a green suit. [smiley=winkfs.gif]

h00kie
06-05-2008, 07:29 AM
A few fishers wear green waders but they don't usually sneak up behind people unless one's hooked up. Just keep the hootin' & hollerin' to a minimum and you'll be fine ;D ;D
Good luck this weekend!