PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out?

Double_D
04-02-2008, 06:31 PM
If your just starting out surf fishing and thinking of buying a new rod to start out, take a good look at the new Shakespeare Ugly Stick Surf Rod....I know, an Ugly Stick, we all think it's low end, but we all know they are indestructible.....does anyone know about an ugly stick getting snapped in half? I know I don't, I also know that the Lami surf king in 9' and 10' is a weak rod and the Daiwa Power Surf is weak....I know this because I've snapped 2 Surf Kings and 2 Power Surf rods.....and at just under $100.00 seems like a good buy.

http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/2285/p4186464dtcf7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

tomaurand
04-03-2008, 07:25 AM
I personally think you will still manage to break it ;)

Mr._Striper
04-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Duuuude, Ugly Stick??? :-? You should wash your mouth out with soap :P

FishinRaiders
04-04-2008, 07:15 AM
Lamiglas Warranty states

Warranty is null and void if Fishing Rod is subjected to Manfort action or stored in or near a Manfort

Double_D
04-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Lamiglas Warranty states

Warranty is null and void if Fishing Rod is subjected to Manfort action or stored in or near a Manfort

;D

ghostfish_slayer
04-04-2008, 07:00 PM
i think the ugly stick is the only rod for DD.. they are pretty much bullit proof. just don't put a lighter anywhere near the clear tip part of a ugly stick. not even to replace the tip top.. they melt like arm hairs near a open flame.

Double_D
04-04-2008, 07:16 PM
I own three Ugly's now.....and the oldest rod in my inventory is an Ugly stick.

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/5083/im000809bv2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

put_em_back
04-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Anyone see the new Ugly Stick commercial? The guys wife is mad and trys to break the tip - bent it, slammed it in the cabinet door and finally put it in the trash compactor. Not sure I believe the last one, but it survived - reel still intact as well.

I have 1 Ugly Stick that I used to throw jigs under the San Mateo Bridge where the bridge is about 10 ft above the water. Used to throw 1oz jigs with 50lb Ande and had to play tug of war with the fish to get them out of the pilings. Not very sensitive, but I could pull and not worry about breaking it.

MB_Kevin
04-05-2008, 12:24 AM
I know my first good surf rod was a daiwa and I payed $130 for it. The guy selling it to me was showing me how senitive it was or something by pushing it on the floor. I took it out and I broke it within a few casts. :'( I still blame the guy who sold it to me for doing that. ;D They gave me a new one but not without Bi#$ching. It worked good for a while but the tip is now loose. The one I got from Ratz is still working good. Maybe I need an ugly stick. I want a flexable one for working those pencil poppers off the rocks. 8-)

ratss427
04-05-2008, 06:10 PM
I know my first good surf rod was a daiwa and I payed $130 for it. *The guy selling it to me was showing me how senitive it was or something by pushing it on the floor. *I took it out and I broke it within a few casts. :'( *I still blame the guy who sold it to me for doing that. ;D *They gave me a new one but not without Bi#$ching. *It worked good for a while but the tip is now loose. *The one I got from Ratz is still working good. *Maybe I need an ugly stick. *I want a flexable one for working those pencil poppers off the rocks. 8-)

hey,mb,i am glag you are enjoying the rod.imho an ugly stick won't work pencils better.i own ugly sticks.and have enjoyed fishing them over many years.but,there are better rods for working pencils. :)

p.s lets hit the surf this season.mark

FishinRaiders
04-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Double D is Conan the Rod Destroyer..

MB_Kevin
04-08-2008, 09:27 PM
I know my first good surf rod was a daiwa and I payed $130 for it. *The guy selling it to me was showing me how sensitive it was or something by pushing it on the floor. *I took it out and I broke it within a few casts. :'( *I still blame the guy who sold it to me for doing that. ;D *They gave me a new one but not without Bi#$ching. *It worked good for a while but the tip is now loose. *The one I got from Ratz is still working good. *Maybe I need an ugly stick. *I want a flexible one for working those pencil poppers off the rocks. 8-)

hey,mb,i am glag you are enjoying the rod.imho an ugly stick won't work pencils better.i own ugly sticks.and have enjoyed fishing them over many years.but,there are better rods for working pencils. :)

p.s lets hit the surf this season.mark

Yea that rod is still working great! Thanks for the deal. Yea we need to hit the surf when it gets hot.

Mr._Striper
04-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Double D is Conan the Rod Destroyer..

JJ, you have no idea. I've seen it first hand. It's not pretty to see ::)

FishinRaiders
04-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Maybe Paul Tiger boy broke the rod in the man fort???

[smiley=stirthepot.gif]

RANDO
05-05-2008, 08:58 PM
::)i love my 12' ugly stick ::)

Crass
05-05-2008, 10:46 PM
when youre broker than all heck like i am, its the only way to go.. ill admit id love a lighter weight rod, but ill deal with the weight for spending just a little money on a trusty rod.

sidenote: ive put some serious stress on my 9' Daiwa Beef Stick, and im incredibly suprised how it holds up for a $12 rod.

Double-sidenote!: will this 9' rod be an okay size for me goin out for stripers with this year? would i be better suited with a conventional or spinning reel as well?

Double_D
05-06-2008, 05:23 AM
when youre broker than all heck like i am, its the only way to go.. ill admit id love a lighter weight rod, but ill deal with the weight for spending just a little money on a trusty rod.

sidenote: ive put some serious stress on my 9' Daiwa Beef Stick, and im incredibly suprised how it holds up for a $12 rod.

Double-sidenote!: will this 9' rod be an okay size for me goin out for stripers with this year? would i be better suited with a conventional or spinning reel as well?

What is the rod lure and line rated at......as fas as conventional or spinning, it's personal preferance....I like spinning at the surf.....nothing worse than casting into the wind with a conventional set up and get a back lash when fish are getting beached all around you....been there done that.

Crass
05-09-2008, 01:25 PM
im rockin 25lb mono. i picked up an all plastic shimano, coz it was $10.. doesnt hold as much line as id like, but haha.. if anything goes wrong im not too worried about my $10 reel on my $13 rod.

MB_Kevin
05-09-2008, 09:45 PM
So where would you go to buy this rod at DD?

Double_D
05-10-2008, 04:14 AM
So where would you go to buy this rod at DD?

as far as I know, Bass Pro Shop or Cabela's

tomaurand
05-12-2008, 12:11 PM
wl [/highlight]as well?
.....nothing worse than casting into the wind with a conventional set up and get a back lash when fish are getting beached all around you....been there done that.[/b]

Does Shannon need to give you surf casting with a conventional reel lessons? ;) ;D

Prestoked
05-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks, DD. Bought it and love it! I haven't caught a Striper with it yet, but sure like how it does everything you need to do to catch one. I got the 12" model at FW in Rancho Cordova. One left. Nobody else around here had them, though Penny's said he would in a few weeks (hopefully).