PDA

View Full Version : Surf on the central coast...?

SpinReelFisher
05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
I'm headed to Monterey area this weekend - I'll probably be staying in Monterey, but I'll be able to drive around a little and fish for a bit.

I'm thinking about bringing my 10ft'er and tossin into the surf....is it even worth it in that area? (Obviously newbie to this...but I thought I should "diversify my experiences.)

I know it's a tight-lipped circuit here, so I'll take whatever I can get.

Thanks.
SRF

rhettp
05-07-2008, 02:45 PM
You can catch surf perch all over that area. Try sand crabs, you can dig them up from the sand and they are free :). Also try small plastic grubs and the Berkley Power worms in camo and blood work very well. You can also try shrimp for perch. If you want to try for a striper or halibat use squid or ancovise. Good luck and le us know how it goes.

Double_D
05-07-2008, 05:29 PM
If I were going to Monterey this weekend I would definitely bring my surf rod. ;)

Sin_Coast
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
For updated info, hit up J+D Auto Repair/Gone Fishin in Sand City @ 831-899-1111.
If you want stripers, the best lures have been white 1.5oz SPRO bucktail jigs and the 4" sardine Fish Trap on a 2oz Owner leadhead. Fish any one of the beaches from Seaside up to Moss Landing. That is 'as specific as it gets.' The fish are there, you just gotta work for em. I know of one fellow who's already caught 20+ keepers this year.
Good luck!