PDA

View Full Version : swimbaits vs. fix livewell

MIRRORIDER
03-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Last year I built a live well for my boat. *The live well worked great in terms of flow and raw circultaion, but unfortunately I couldn't move around the bay at the speeds I wanted to because the bait would get beat up and not last the whole day. *I will certainly be trying to improve my homemade well this year... but I may like to hit up seal rock or other areas outside the gate, and I am afraid I will never get the well perfectly situated unless I place it in lieu of the center console. *
I am just wondering how effective you guys think drifting a swimbait could be used in lieu of a live anchovy over some of the bay pinnacles. *Has anyone tried something like this?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_97806?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P2_2

You think it will be effective, or will I be dissapointd in not getting the quality of bites I should be as with live bait?

DinoBlaster
03-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I have a question about your live well..Did it have square or round sides? DB

MIRRORIDER
03-04-2008, 07:54 PM
It is round (30 gallon trash can). There is good circular flow with an overflow at the top. I have a drain tube already installed in a forward locker so I am using that tube as my intake to the well with a short 2" PVC hose to the well. The problem is that since the boat is a BW banana hull outrage, and not a deep V, it makes for a rougher ride(although in my opinion more fun) when moving faster than wave speed. I know i can minimize this by moving the livewell further back towards the center console, but it would reduce my deck space. I'm almost positive the anchovies are getting beat up from the sloshing as oppossed to hitting any corners.

DinoBlaster
03-04-2008, 08:00 PM
I was reading somewhere back east they only use oval tanks to help keep from injuring the bait. Plus the insides were painted black helped too.

MIRRORIDER
03-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks DB. Ya I shouldn't be too comitted to my setup. It may make sense that an oval tank could help. Although in terms of cost it was certainly cheaper to make it out of the garbage can than some of the oval bait tanks I was looking into. (even unplumbed) I did get a dark garbage can after reading that the darker colors helps keep the bait calm.
Now you have me thinking about mounting a 6" PVC pipe directly in the middle of the can. I wonder if it would help keep the water circulation going on the outside of the pipe and may reduce sloshing as well.

What about scale debris in the water? Do the scales tend to settle at the bottom of the tank well enough if the inflow is angled correctly?
I have time to get it right before this summer.

-MR

DinoBlaster
03-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Instead of using a garbage can I went to a feed store and was looking at galvinized tanks for horses drinking water, comes in all different sizes. and plastic too!

jdecker
04-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a Kodiak and it does a pretty good job. If you go to a gas station that has a car wash they throw different size plastic barrels away. The soap and degreasers come inside of them and then they throw them away. I have 2 I use for when I go dry camping in Mexico. If you rinse them out a few times they are clean and sterile.