PDA

View Full Version : Power Pro?

MB_Kevin
11-20-2007, 10:53 PM
How do you buy your power pro. I was going to get some for a new surf reel and buy another spool of 300yards for $30. I was wondering if It would be better to just get the 1500 yard one for $100. That way I would not have to figure out how to get use out of it all, and get it to fit on the reels. There would be less waste. It is also cheaper.

I know alot of you don't even use power pro but I was wondering about how the ones who do buy it.

metalmouth
11-21-2007, 06:11 AM
I would recommend Tuf Line XP. ;)

h00kie
11-21-2007, 10:16 AM
MB,
What size reel are you spooling up? A 4000 size stradic or stella would use up 300 yards for 30# power pro. *

Make sure you tape up the bottom of the spool to keep the line from sliping on the spool. I follow that up with a piece of electrical tape after 10 revolution as an insurance.
Check and make sure that your pole's guide inserts can handle braided line. Braid can cut thru some ceramic guides.
Adjust your reel's drag a little lighter than what you're used to since braid has no stretch at all. I lost some stripers on the surf last year from not adjusting my reel drag lighter than what I was used to with mono. I ended up straightening out some hooks and/or ripping lips.

Oh yeah, don't forget to wear finger protection when casting!

PlugROCKSTAR
11-21-2007, 11:27 AM
I would recommend Tuf Line XP. ;)

Western Filament... Yes indeed. Cheaper too.

Double_D
11-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Yes...Power Pro!, I just have Out Door Pro shop spool all my braided line, I never spool braid my self, also I personally don't buy it in bulk, I'm going on my third year with the same stuff on my surf reel, and you know how much I fish.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/735/im000705ata9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

ratss427
11-21-2007, 09:16 PM
m.b.not sure if its gotten any better.but a couple seasons ago,i lost some nice wood due to the 30# p.pro breaking off unexplicably during casts!not sure what the deal was . :-[but,i switched to 40# and 50#.and havn't had any more problems.good luck :)

MB_Kevin
11-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Thanks I think I'll just get another 300 yard one. MM I might try out that line for some other fishing and if I like it might try it on my surf reel. DD has been teaching me the surf from the beginning so I will stick to what he recommends ;) Looks like hoOkie uses it to.

HoOkie I know it Should fit on the reel being 8# diameter but for some reason in my experience it don't >:( Then I have some left over. I put it on some freshwater reels for catfish. What kind of finger protection. I cut my finger one season and it was a pain with gloves or a bandaid. I used Power Pro this season without any problems but could see one starting. Especially if I fished all weekend in a row like you do sometimes.

MB_Kevin
11-21-2007, 09:22 PM
m.b.not sure if its gotten any better.but a couple seasons ago,i lost some nice wood due to the 30# p.pro breaking off unexplicably during casts!not sure what the deal was . :-[but,i switched to 40# and 50#.and havn't had any more problems.good luck :)

You must have posted while I was. My sister had that problem with a spool she got of 30#. I didn't I guess some spools are bad. That is another reason I'm leery of buying 1500 yards at once.
The 30# should be strong if not for the unexpected breaks because Panfish Popper pulled in a tree at clearlake with it. :o

Double_D
11-22-2007, 04:35 AM
There is something about 30lb. power pro and the mysterious brake offs, I've read it on an east coast striper thread and every body agrees the 30 lb. PP has some kind of problem......I'll be putting *''The ALPHA MALE stick to use this morning *;) sportyguy and CAsnookman are on there way over to pick me up right now(4:30 AM Thanksgiving morning) *;D

and MB that reel in the pic is spooled with 425 yards of 50 lb. PP either the spool of braid is to small or to big in bulk, thats why I just have the Pro shop spool um up, plus when they do it it's nice and tight and I get no line twists.

Double_D
11-22-2007, 04:37 AM
Thanks I think I'll just get another 300 yard one. *MM I might try out that line for some other fishing and if I like it might try it on my surf reel. *DD has been teaching me the surf from the beginning so I will stick to what he recommends ;) *Looks like hoOkie uses it to.

*HoOkie I know it Should fit on the reel being 8# diameter but for some reason in my experience it don't >:( *Then I have some left over. *I put it on some freshwater reels for catfish. *What kind of finger protection. *I cut my finger one season and it was a pain with gloves or a bandaid. *I used Power Pro this season without any problems but could see one starting. *Especially if I fished all weekend in a row like you do sometimes.

;D ;D ;D ;D......I'm just relaying to you what winch tells me. ;D

MB_Kevin
11-22-2007, 01:10 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D......I'm just relaying to you what winch tells me. ;D

Oh well thanks to winch to ;D

ghostfish_slayer
11-22-2007, 09:13 PM
if you get power pro get the 50 lb. and get the 300 yard spool.put 15 or 20 lb mono for a backing and try to get about 200 yards of 50 lb pp on your spool. depending on the reel. i get all 300 yards and 75 yards of 20 lb mono on my 706z's.. the 150 yard spool is enough but sometimes i cast 20+ yards into my backing with it. sometimes it gets hung up on the knot as it gets closer to it on the spool and when it goes through the guides it sometimes goes pfffft.

ghostfish_slayer
11-22-2007, 09:17 PM
as for the finger after all summer i build up a nice protective layer of skin over where it cuts. i get cut after a few days of casting non stop. i don't like finger protection as it bothers me. it hurts a little but you will get used to it..

striper_assasin
11-23-2007, 03:59 PM
tuff line xp>pp for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!
pp is crap, i cant stand losing fish.
power pro is crap ;)
and i agree with rat by stepping it up alittle bit to 50 maybe even 65, just to be safe especially if your tossing from the bank.
just my .02

MB_Kevin
11-23-2007, 11:32 PM
I would recommend Tuf Line XP. *;)

Alright I have 4 spools for 2 reels so I guess I might as well fill one up with some Tuf Line and see how it goes. Now I don't only have to decide on what pound test and how many yards but what brand :o ;D

I guess it is a good idea to try all the recommended ones and see what one works best. Those unexpected break offs are not cool. I lost a big fish my sister could not handle for no reason at all just snapped.

fissssh
11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Sufix Power Braid 30# and a limber rod and make sure you have a quality ball bearing swivel if you are using a spinning reel, just ask DD ::) ;D ;)

MB_Kevin
11-26-2007, 09:23 PM
Sufix Power Braid 30# and a limber rod and make sure you have a quality ball bearing swivel if you are using a spinning reel, just ask DD *::) ;D ;)

Ive been using ball bearing swivels and they are expensive. What brand is a high quality ball bearing swivel? Is there on that is cheaper and still good. $1 each Is almost as much as my lure ;D

Sportyguy66
11-28-2007, 01:07 PM
If your using 30 lb pp why not use a Uni To Uni know to tie a couple feet of Fluorocarbon leader. Thats what I've been using all spring and fall and I haven't had hardly any line twist at all. I'm not saying it's the way to go just another way.

tuna_head
11-28-2007, 05:04 PM
been using superbraids since they first hit the market, deep water rock,mooching, casting with spinning reels, bait casters good stuff check your knots loosen your drag use lighter rod tips GOOD STUFF you can feel everything going on with it

ghostfish_slayer
11-28-2007, 09:23 PM
look who decided to finally join in.. [smiley=hitfish.gif] welcome tuna head..

MB_Kevin
11-28-2007, 10:24 PM
So what color braid do you all use...OK Ill admit it Im just trying to keep the saltwater striper board alive until the next surf thread opens up ;D *Give DD something to look at so he don't loose interest ::) ;D

Double_D
11-29-2007, 09:53 PM
So what color braid do you all use...OK Ill admit it Im just trying to keep the saltwater striper board alive until the next surf thread opens up ;D *Give DD something to look at so he don't loose interest ::) ;D

Green 50 lb. Power Pro for me. ;)
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/1374/im000713dd7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Double_D
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
MB have you ever seen this dog around wile fishing the the Rocks
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/7506/im000715qo2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/240/im000714gg5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
this is a cool pouch, he followed me all over the rocks one day

MB_Kevin
11-29-2007, 10:48 PM
No but it is pretty. I did see what I think was a coyote on the mountain between rockaway and lindamar. It was just getting dark and it was hanging out on top staring at us :-/

When did you start fishing off the rocks?

GCinGV
11-30-2007, 06:51 AM
For throwing plugs with braid are you guys using a mono shock leader or just tying to the snap? If so how long?
Thanks Gary

Double_D
11-30-2007, 06:51 AM
No but it is pretty. * I did see what I think was a coyote on the mountain between rockaway and lindamar. *It was just getting dark and it was hanging out on top staring at us :-/

*When did you start fishing off the rocks?

soon as I dropped the 50 lb. I was carring around my gut and fat a$$..... ;D

Double_D
11-30-2007, 07:01 AM
For throwing plugs with braid are you guys using a mono shock leader or just tying to the snap? If so how long?
Thanks Gary

yes a mono shock leader.......I tie a Sampo Ball-Bearing Swivel from my main line to 50 to 80 lb. mono then at the end of the shocker I tie a Duolock Snap and attach the plug to that. 8-)

GCinGV
11-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks DD. How long is your shock leader?
Gary

Double_D
11-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks DD. How long is your shock leader?
Gary

36 inches. ;)

MB_Kevin
12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Things have sure changed from when I started just 3 years ago. Then it was 12# test main line to 25# leader that was only 18". Now 50# main line 80# 36" shock leader :o
I guess we better change out the hooks on the lures to keep up ;D

Sportyguy66
12-03-2007, 01:00 PM
What I've been told was The Shock Leader Should be at least 10 lbs for every once casted. Correct me if I'm wrong but The 80 lb Shock leader has more to do with the Leader dealing with the rough elements over here and some guys like the heavy leaders tom haul in there Hogs when they catch one. :)

ghostfish_slayer
12-04-2007, 07:43 PM
a very good part of it has to do with hauling them up.. just grab the big swivel as not to cut up the hands on the braid or worse the big trebbles trying to lip them and drag them suckers up. with heavy leader and heavy braid you don't have to worry about breaking them off or putting all the load on your rod after the waves start to receed. grab and walk back..

tuna_head
12-05-2007, 07:57 PM
i agree with ghost about the heavy leader,but if your leader is to long you might have trouble casting i used to start with a long leader then cut it down to fit my casting technique

kingcole
01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Finger Protection

This might be an idea to help protect your finger from line cuts.

Get a 3 finger shooting glove at an archery store or an outdoor store bps/cabelas. They are not used much these day because most Archers use releases because it's more precise.

The 3 fingers is just a leather finger tip glove that only goes down to your middle knuckle. the rest of the palm is normal it has a wrist strap that holds it on and I think would do the trick and not be cumbersome.

Here is a link to a picture of what I am talking about.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/800-000/862-469-01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_24183_400014014_400000000_400014000_400-14-14&h=92&w=129&sz=5&hl=en&start=2&um=1&tbnid=Q_8WV1 xA-9jzMM:&tbnh=65&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3DDeluxe%2Bleather%2Bshooting%2Bglove%2 6svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26clie nt%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26hs%3D4K8%26sa%3DN

MB_Kevin
01-25-2008, 02:04 AM
That might work. I will go bare handed like last season and was OK. If I do get a cut or something like I did 2 years ago just using mono then I need some protection! I did not get the cut from casting but it sure made it hard for a few weeks after and did not help in the healing process.

fissssh
01-27-2008, 08:46 PM
A true shock leader goes around the spool 2 or 3 times then out to your lure and is joined to the main line with some style of knot, usualy a blood knot, ( add a drop of super glue )