PDA

View Full Version : Need help using lures

jeexi
08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey sniffers!!

Just got a few question for ya.
Im basically a bait guy, but recently tried to lure for some stripers in the delta. The last time I was out there I used hairraisers but I had no clue on how to retrieve the lure. Did not get a bite or anything. Are you suppose to stay close on the bottom or what? I did try to stay close to the bottom but had to remove seaweed everytime:(.
Is it right if you feel your lure hitting the ground on retrieval?

So if you guys can give me some pointers on how fast or slow i should retrieve, and if staying close to the bottom is correct. Thanks guys

h00kie
08-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Welcome to the boards!

Delta... think delta smelt or shad. These are the baitfish that you are trying to imitate with your lure. I would work it a few feet off the bottom with a steady retrieve but do not hesitate to vary your retrieve or the height that you are swimming it at.
If you are working it in an area where there is current, try throwing up current and letting it drift down river as you retrieve. Use the lightest hair raiser that you can get away with as the fall and the trailer worm works the lure during the drift. Be sure to pay attention to your line for any movement.

Good luck & I'm sure others will chime in.

jeexi
08-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks hookie for the pointers. Last time i went out, i had the lure dragging on the bottom and picked nothing but seaweed up =p. *Ill try to stay a few feet up next time i go out. *Steady retrival you say, so no titching the rod or anything? What brand of mono line do you guys suggest? Im using powerpro braided 15lb line at the moment. o yea, do you guys use leaders off your main line? if so what lb test line? Just cant wait till i get a hook up using lures. I might never go back to bait fishing again if this happens =p.

Thanks again.

wading2fish
08-29-2005, 07:43 PM
In the Delta I would use different lures, including hairraisers which are good lures. My first choice up there would probably be a rattle trap in baby striper or shad color. With a rattle trap it's a good idea to twitch your rod tip up and down while retreiving. Vary your speed also. Some 1 or 2 oz pencil poppers white with redhead color are also worth trying for some topwater action.

good luck

w2f

Brettski
08-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Try using a chartruse hairraiser.3/4-1oz throw up to the edge of the tule bank or fallen trees,edges of weed beds etc.Also try a 3/4-1oz chrome& blue/chrome&yellow go for the same areas.You need to throw alot till you get into a school then the fun starts! Brettski

kstone44
08-29-2005, 11:25 PM
I normally throw rattle traps in the 3/4oz size I use ONLY the chrome red/chartuse head. I went out Saturday to burn up some old gas before the Pyramid fest and stopped into Mildred Island and picked up 4 fish to about 6lbs, Man the fish were very skinny :-[. It was alot of fun I only fished for about a half hour so it was a suprise to run into the fish as quickly as I did. Will be waiting for October to roll in and thats when you can locate shools in mildred and fish for hours constantly catching fish.I fish the tops of the weeds in about 7ft of water Its a blast on light tackle

put_em_back
08-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Also try chart or white swimbaits with 1/2 to 1 oz heads. The stripers love em. Cast to your target and let the lure drop and start slowly working it back - reel it fast enough to keep it off the botton. Sometimes that like it drifted and sometimes they like you to burn it in. Vary your retrieves until you find something that works.

FishinFool408
08-30-2005, 06:10 AM
Thanks hookie for the pointers. Last time i went out, i had the lure dragging on the bottom and picked nothing but seaweed up =p. *Ill try to stay a few feet up next time i go out. *Steady retrival you say, so no titching the rod or anything? What brand of mono line do you guys suggest? Im using powerpro braided 15lb line at the moment. o yea, do you guys use leaders off your main line? if so what lb test line? Just cant wait till i get a hook up using lures. I might never go back to bait fishing again if this happens =p.

Thanks again.

Hey jeexi, you might want to give 15lb Big Game mono a try. *It definitely gets the job done for myself as well as a lot of others I know. *And as far as the leader goes, yeah, you are better of tying a leader of about 25lb test from the main line to a swivel and a clip on the end of the leader. *Good luck.

bpfishnon
08-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Where can you find a good chart of mildred to avoid all the fallen trees and mud flats. Always makes me nervous to even be close with the danger assoc. with that place.

kstone44
08-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Those Flats and fallen trees are were you ought to be fishing ;D ;D

dimpala95
08-31-2005, 07:00 AM
Check out West Marine or US Boat. The only problem is that charts will not have the fallen trees identified unless they've been there for years and are a major boating hazard.

jeexi
08-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks you guys for all your input. I went out today, and I use all the info you guys gave me. I used a white hairraiser, cast him out and a steady retrieve. Guess what, i land one on the 2nd Cast. ;D ;D ;D. I brought in 4 total released 2. However 3 got away when reeling in =(. I had so much fun today and I came home with my limit of 2.

o, im fishing in about 6-10feet of water, do you think topwater pencil poppers will work? I would love to see them swim up and attack it. thanks again guys =p

h00kie
08-31-2005, 07:38 PM
Congrats jeexi! Yes definitely try topwater. You'll love it even more.

kstone44
08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Congratulation, I think catching striper on lures is awesome the way they hit the lure it's like they are already heading the other direction when they smash it. Good job I hope to go out next Tuesday and give it a shot. I do use pencil poppers over the weeds in the North end of Mildred and do quit well, not like the reports of Allen Fong but I do OK ;D ;D

Brettski
09-02-2005, 06:44 AM
Be sure to use those poppers at low light!evening & morning.Good Luck!

Brettski
09-02-2005, 06:53 AM
Oh, One more thing,You'll find that everyone has a favorite color,size,etc Alot of times one is NOT nessesarly the best one! In time you too will have a favorite.Experiment a little and you can get a knack for it.Sometimes different colors,sizes brands etc work better at different days.The main thing is that we all have a good time! Go out and fish. Brettski

Sportyguy66
10-15-2007, 10:00 PM
Pencil Poppers aren't the only topwater lures that those Delta Stripers Like. They like Spooks too. Especially Frog Pattern ;)

eric_rosburg
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Now I have the opposite problem - always been a lure guy (well, since I started fishing again this year). Lots of swimbaits, rattlers, and broke backs.

I have having a hell of a time keeping the anchovies on my hook for bait fishing. Any suggestion on how to do it "right"?
E-

eric_rosburg
10-29-2007, 07:10 PM
I should have know that I spelled "right" wrong. It's spelled The "Wright" way. I should have know that I spelled "right" wrong. http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1112399890/0

E-

MrAnchovy
11-01-2007, 12:16 PM
An earlier poster asked for charts of the delta...I found this in a different post and thought it would be wise to pass on the info....

Check this site:
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/chartcatalogs/CA_10_Jan_06.pdf

Then use this link:
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18656.shtml
Change the numbers so they correspond to the area you want to check...using the numbers on the PDF in the first link.

example: according to the PDF, the Rio Vista area map is 18661, you will plug that number into the 2nd link like this
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18661.shtml

Good Luck with fishin the delta

ghostfish_slayer
11-02-2007, 11:59 AM
use majic thread and wrap them on with a few wraps..
Now I have the opposite problem - always been a lure guy (well, since I started fishing again this year). Lots of swimbaits, rattlers, and broke backs.

I have having a hell of a time keeping the anchovies on my hook for bait fishing. Any suggestion on how to do it "right"?
E-

GCinGV
11-30-2007, 07:11 AM
use majic thread and wrap them on with a few wraps..

E-

Also some of the other baits stay on a little better. Try Shad or Pile Worms.
GC